Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Jun 17, 2016.

1. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Can't waiting for winter! The backcountry (and frontcountry campgrounds) have been extremely busy this year in Ontario with a ton of abuse to nature happening (people leaving behind entire camps/garbage, pooping all over campsites, illegally chopping down trees in provincial parks, etc.). Really hoping the cold drives people back inside lol
    IMG_20191215_082443.jpg

Xr6x, mendezj, abbydaddy and 12 others like this.
  2. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    people are the worst

Xr6x, Dantone05, mendezj and 10 others like this.
  3. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    @fatfrog is that a HMG Southwest?

It frustrates and saddens me to no end with how people are ok with littering, as well as utter disregard for their actions. That tree that stood for a decade or two? Nobody else cut it down, gee, I wonder why? Just ignorant, arrogant, and egocentric. Boils my blood. Bah.

Xr6x, mendezj, Standard78 and 4 others like this.
  4. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    North Arm and Grohmann are like the only cutlery manufacturers I know of in Canada. Someone should change that...

Odog27, duramax, Oyster and 1 other person like this.
  5. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    It's the HMG Icepack in 100% woven dyneema. It's tough as nails!

Someone cut down 7 trees to roast a turkey over a fire. They made tripods on either side of the fire out of 6 trees and the last tree was used to skewer the whole thing. When people called them out on it, their response was "My husband collected the trees from OUTSIDE the park. We wouldn't disrespect nature by cutting down trees in the park." Uhhh okay... whatever you say...

Xr6x, mendezj, jus_gus and 3 others like this.
  6. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    There's also Elson Knives in Ontario. Haven't handled one of his knives but I did pick up a bunch of Ulticlips from his website. I saw a flyer for a Canadian knifemaker convention but didn't recognize most of the names (convention was cancelled due to Covid so I couldn't check it out).

Odog27 likes this.
  7. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    There is always room. Canadians spend money on overpriced knives regularly.

I have to admit I prefer the pattern of the North Arm paring over the custom one wrt handle ergos and overall physical feel. The execution isn’t even comparable, Matt has way better steel, and fit and finish, but the handle just isn’t as good in the hand for my size. I’d be willing to upgrade, but NA does a good product at the price they ask.

Mine are also satin which they don’t offer AFAIK. Not sure why I like satin in my kitchen knives so much.

8. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment

Jan 12, 2005
    Couldn’t agree more. That parer is based on one my grandmother used for ages, and I always just figured that they must know better than me. It’s too long, and the spine is too straight, which makes all the rest not work, as well. I never use ours because of it, yet my wife uses it all the time and never seems to mind. ::shrug::

Always meant to revisit it, but the fact is that’s not where my passions drive me...

Good to see your’s is at least seeing SOME use, though. ;)

Hard Knocks, jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  9. benchrest308

Mar 13, 2014
    It sure is! I have the metro, the 3400 southwest in black dyneema, and the duffle. The metro is 7 years old, was used (and abused) daily, and it's still good to go. I do need to submit my measurements for a dyneema McHale; trying to discern what i require for hunting pack.

Odog27 likes this.
  10. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    After punching a bunch of holes in other packs from ice tools, crampons, ice screws, etc., I watched a torture test of the woven dyneema fabric and was sold. This guy beat the shit out of a small piece - I honestly think this pack will last forever. The only regret was not getting it made in the 4400 size, which would really let us extend our winter trips. I'm tempted to ask HMG if they could send me a piece of it so I can extend the collar further if I ever needed greater carrying capacity.

McHale packs look sooooo nice! I heard they carry like a dream.

Odog27 and benchrest308 like this.
  11. benchrest308

Mar 13, 2014
    @fatfrog McHale really has no comparison; everything is outstanding. I really could not recommend them enough.

HGM is great for the price point. The black dyneema is thicker, and thus heavier, than the white, but I use it as my grip. It's held up great thus far. I do think I would've been better of with a 9.11 type with a million pockets as I have so many little work nicknacks to contend with. I make do, tho.

Odog27 likes this.
  12. fatfrog

Jul 26, 2019
    I was an as-simple-as-possible guy for the longest time because we used our packs for alpine/ice climbing and didn't want too much stuff on the outside that might get caught on stuff. Now that we hike more than climb, we got some ultralight packs (Superior Wilderness Designs and KS Ultralight) with exterior pockets and it's pretty sweet. I can finally store my waterbottle on the outside of the pack again! (I used to have to stop to retrieve my water from inside the pack).

Oyster, benchrest308 and Odog27 like this.
  13. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    PXL_20201030_141341522_copy_614x1191_1.jpg
    PXL_20201030_141034676_copy_967x1289_2.jpg
    PXL_20201030_141451831_copy_1290x968_1.jpg
    PXL_20201030_141152386_copy_967x1289_1.jpg PXL_20201030_134005073.PORTRAIT-01.COVER_copy_772x1267_2.jpg

I'll drop these in here too. Because photo thread

Hard Knocks, Xr6x, Dr_Void and 17 others like this.
  14. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    E3.jpg
    Still my favorite CPK to date.

Xr6x, Dr_Void, fonedork and 13 others like this.
  15. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Is yours canvas or linen?

16. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    This one is canvas :thumbsup:

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  17. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

Hard Knocks, Xr6x, Dr_Void and 18 others like this.
  18. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

Xr6x, Wood5045, Standard78 and 14 others like this.
  19. Dantone05

Dantone05

Dec 31, 2014
    [​IMG]

20. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

jus_gus, woodysone, Xr6x and 13 others like this.