1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Picked up a R.W Loveless for KCC Blade at Flea Market

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Daso, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Daso

Daso

Feb 13, 2018
    Hello All, Sorry I'm reposting this in the custom section as well. Been a while and I picked up a R.W Loveless original drop point blade for the Knife Collectors Club and was shocked to see the prices being paid out there. Blade looks unused but has a little rust from sitting around in a box or something since seller seemed to think it was a kitchen knife. Did I find a good piece? I've picked up a few batches of custom knives at estate sales before and sold but is this a keeper? Should I have the rust spots restored? Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/mgsugFR

Mack, Hengelo_77 and jux t like this.
  2. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
    Looks like a keeper to me. However I'm no expert by any means. I'm sure others with far more experience will be along. If it is a keeper I'd have it appraised by a Loveless expert. Loveless knives command very high prices.

3. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Leave it alone and count yourself EXTREMELY lucky.....Flea Market find of a Lifetime. :)

4. Daso

Daso

Feb 13, 2018
    Thanks. Will just give it a coat of oil and enjoy if for now. Might sell and pick up some other knives I can actually use . I didn't realize the importance of his work.

5. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Nice. Not being perfect it's screaming to be used.

6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    you're basically living the dream that most knife collectors wake up sweaty, (or other) from

Don Hanson III, Mack, jux t and 3 others like this.
  7. flatgrinder

flatgrinder

Dec 20, 2005
    That's a doozy. It should be a keeper. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Loveless shop made a special run of Semi-Skinners for the A.G. Russell Knife Club around that time. That's probably one of them. The handle material was coral micarta. Maybe send an e-mail to A.G. Russell's customer service, they could probably forward it to the right person for more info?

I wouldn't mess with it, just use it for what it was intended for. :thumbsup:

The sheath is interesting, do you have a photo of the reverse side?

8. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    if it were me, I'd sell it!

9. Daso

Daso

Feb 13, 2018
    Hello All, after thinking about it, its beautiful but really not the kind of knife I would use and I'm not a keep. It in the safe type. I'm really more of a Japanese sword collector and I have a nice Herron which covers this category. I think I'm going to sell. It and put the money towards a nice Katana I've been eyeing. I also can't imagine using a nifeba some of the values I see as a user (I live in NYC so not really a daily use knife). Might end up posting it on eBay or something once I figure what it's real value is. I'd be scared to use it . I do feel very lucky as I also found another nice Herron and a Lile as well.

10. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    There's dealers, such as AGRussell who would be happy to sell it for you as well. Bet ya you've already been contacted :)

seanj likes this.
  11. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    The Loveless shop has always had helpers in some form. And... (like it or don't) they are still operating. I would contact and talk to Russell K. and see if a refurbish and polish is something they would consider. THEN the knife might be worth substantially more. Doing so in the place of it's origin would increase it's provenance, methinks.