1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please: Who makes high quality swords?

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by tiltrite, Jan 26, 2019.

1. tiltrite

tiltrite

Dec 9, 2013
    Looking for about a 24" stabbing/slashing blade with a one/two handed grip. I've looked but it seems about impossible to sift through the verbiage to find a list of high quality makers. Thank you!

2. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Hanwei Paul Chen
    Kris Cutlery
    Ronin Katana

3. Triton

Triton Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2000
    That covers a lot of ground. What are you using this for? Do you want something historically based? What is your price point?

4. shoegazer

shoegazer Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2015
    Giedymin a talented Polish maker of big blades has a Wakizashi for sale now. I love his stuff. He has a nice piece available as of yesterday. I already have one of his or I would buy it. 6150 steel I think. Good luck.

5. Storm Crow

Storm Crow

Apr 12, 2006
    What's your budget?

Lapedog likes this.
  6. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    You're going to have to sift through the verbiage and learn in order to tell what a good quality long blade even looks like.

7. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    The widest variety of decent swords will come from Windlass Steelcraft. They make just about everything.

8. mross

mross

Nov 10, 2003
    Custom or production?

9. cutlerycrazy

cutlerycrazy

Feb 23, 2019
    Barry Dawson of Dawson knives and swords. They use a clay hardening technique here in the U.S. and Zombietools. They make some strong awesome unique swords.

BlackKnight86 likes this.
  10. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Depends. You might try a Baryonyxknife.com Kingfisher.

Zieg

BlackKnight86 likes this.
  11. bdcochran

bdcochran

Jan 2, 2012
    Barry Dawson - have 2 short Japanese and 1 long. The problem is that he does not "give away" his swords.

I read about people wanting a functional sword. You are not going to use a Barry Dawson sword to chop wood or even in practice.
    Here are options, as we all want to save money:
    1. take a knife fighting or sword fighting class or escrima. If a sword fighting class, you will use a wooden mock up. Just having a sword doesn't give you skills;
    2. consider buying a machete instead.

I explain. The essential movements in knife fighting/sword fighting/escrima are the same. Human ergonomics limits you in effective movement of your arms.

A machete is a very good substitute for a sword if you want to use an actual blade against a target. Condor makes an excellent substitute.

12. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    For quality and historical accuracy Albion is the way to go.

madcap_magician likes this.
  13. BlackKnight86

BlackKnight86 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Condor and Cold Steel both have decent sword-like machetes for low prices, to try out. That may help you to narrow down what you would like.

14. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    tiltrite still hasn't answered, even to "budget?" & "production or custom?".
    He should be called Trolltrite.

15. mross

mross

Nov 10, 2003
    triltrite must have decided what was really wanted was a, wait for it ......... smatchet.

madcap_magician and kvaughn like this.
  16. gtk4158a

gtk4158a Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Albion will have something you will love, just look them over. Put down a deposit and you will have a year wait. It will be worth that wait. Save your pennies and when you get that magic email saying its finished its time to get really excited. When that box arrives it will be like "Christmas Morning" for a 10 year old boy!! I have 2 and I love them both