1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? PM2 or American Lawman for lefty

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Torogoz, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Torogoz

Torogoz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I am lefty and tired of locks that are made for righties. I only get to the US once a year and I’m going soon.

Here’s what I am looking at:
    PM2 lefty for about $147 shipped
    Or
    American Lawman for $79 shipped

Given the price difference, what would you recommend?

I’ll probably pick up a Bugout while I’m stateside as well.

My concern with the AL is that I’ve read that the lock, while strong, is tough to operate and the blade is tough to deploy. I think I’d have a lot of fun with the compression lock of the PM2, but the axis on the Bugout will satisfy my fidgeting needs.

Anything else I should be looking at as a lefty?

Thanks!

2. Halador

Halador

Jul 6, 2013
    I have several Cold Steel knives, and while they can be more difficult to operate at first, I've found them to smooth out rather well with a little bit of time and use.
    Given that fact, while I prefer Spyderco in general, the American Lawman would be less hassle to use in the long run because the back lock is totally ambidextrous while the compression lock still favours right handed users.

3. Torogoz

Oct 23, 2018
    Spyderco makes a PM2 that is a lefty version. It's exactly the same knife with the compression lock (and the printing, etc.) reversed. That's the one I'm looking at.

P2P and benchwarmer380 like this.
  4. Halador

Halador

Jul 6, 2013
    Ah, sorry, missed that part. Well then I guess it depends on the kind of job you want your knife to do. The Lawman will be stronger for sure, but it will also be heavier. The pm2 has a fine tip so that might work better for light duty cutting if you don't anticipate beating on your blade very much.

Torogoz likes this.
  5. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    My largest collection of left handed knives is CRK. Most Spyderco’s with back locks can be learned for lefty’s. I have a Native Chief that is not a problem using left handed. The ZT 0393 is suitable for left handed use. Even though it’s a frame lock, the outer covers mask the lock bar and it’s not cumbersome with your left hand closing the knife.

Torogoz likes this.
  6. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Those are quite different knives. The PM2 is longer, thicker and feels very different (and easier) to open and close.

The American Lawman is a bit more stout and tough, while being thinner as well.

I have and like them both, but it's hard to recommend one or the other without knowing what you value in a knife.

jux t and Therom like this.
  7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) The Cold Steel American Lawman is by far the better value and overall a stronger knife . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Better steel and lock . Much less expensive .

I have the most recent version in S35VN and was very pleased with the smooth action of the lock , right out of the box !

Most Cold Steel are designed to be totally ambidextrous . Just have to move the clip . Or install the supplied lefty clip . Very easy on most models .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. Torogoz

Oct 23, 2018
    Thanks! I've never been drawn in by the Spyderco aesthetic, but the passion people have for them is starting to wear me down. The 0393 looks like a great knife.

I had a small Sebenza 21 insigno for lefties but ended up selling it because I couldn't bring myself to use it as it deserved to be used.

9. Torogoz

Oct 23, 2018
    Thanks. That's a great point. This knife would play the role of an all-around EDC that could be used tactically in a pinch. I live in Central America in a country that routinely has one of the highest crime rates in the world. Depending on where I'm going, I sometimes take comfort in carrying something that might give someone pause.

P2P likes this.
  10. Torogoz

Oct 23, 2018
    Thanks! I keep coming back to some of the points you mentioned: better steel, great lock, and almost half the price.

insta9ves and DocJD like this.
  11. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013

If you’d kept the CRK, you could have avoided this thread :p
    Hopefully, when come stateside, you’ll have the opportunity to handle the ones you’re looking at. That will be the determining factor on which one you like the most. The real answer is to get one of each;). I’m sure your choice will serve you well.

Torogoz likes this.
  12. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Really , both are fine knives and time proven classic designs . You can't go far wrong with either one . :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Torogoz likes this.
  13. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    +1 to American Lawman. Stronger, cheaper, ambidextrous. Just much better value overall.

14. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Im guessing the price is what kept you from using it. If thats the case, go with the cold steel. For the money it has good value. The triad lock is stiff out of the box but smooths out quickly.

Torogoz likes this.
  15. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    If you are like me and shy about using expensive knives, go low.

Torogoz likes this.
  16. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    American lawman, then. Or step up to a recon 1, if you can legally carry it.

P2P and Torogoz like this.
  17. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    Lawman.

Torogoz likes this.
  18. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    +1 Lawman. While the PM2 and Spyderco in general are great knives, I think the CS offers the better bang for the buck. I don't own a Lawman but my Code 4, Recon 1, and Ultimate Hunter are all outstanding knives.

Torogoz likes this.
  19. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    Lefty here, I’m going to suggest the Spyderco Smock. It’s perfect lefthanded and it doesn’t have the typical Spyderco aesthetic.

Torogoz likes this.
  20. TheJon

TheJon

Apr 12, 2014
    I'm a little bias towards anything US made, so I'd have to say the Paramilitary 2, but that price does seem a tad high to me. You said you are also getting a benchmade bugout? That's pretty much all you'll need. Or you could nix the bugout and combine the money and get Benchmade 940 or a Benchmade Presidio Mini and call it good.

Torogoz likes this.