1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Po Boy Conversions?

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by grimmwolf, Sep 13, 2017.

1. grimmwolf

grimmwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Hey guys! Yes I have searched and the only information that I could dig up was that Ernie has requested that no more Po Boy 6s be made. What about other models? I have a Sheepdog that I would love to have converted but, I do not know who to contact, if anyone is even still doing Po Boy style conversions. Any advice?

2. mt666tm

mt666tm

Nov 20, 2012
  3. jmorton10

jmorton10

Apr 5, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jmorton10

jmorton10

Apr 5, 2014
    this custom work was done by Nathuwut on one of my Patriots, check his facebook page.

Note the bolster lock with super thick ti lockbar.

~John

Lapedog likes this.
  5. grimmwolf

grimmwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Ok, nathawut it is. That is sick!

6. KOTR

KOTR Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I like that approach to the lockbar. What is his Facebook ID? I searched on Nathuwut and got nothing.

7. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Nath does spectacular work but others doing spectacular Poboys are Bill Yester, Andrew Charlet, and Steve Kyle. I have several from Andrew, one each from Bill and Steve, and one each from Smock Knives and Lion Werks but I don't think they do them anymore.

mt666tm likes this.
  8. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    These Roadhouse Poboys are by Andrew Charlet

Attached Files:

Dadpool likes this.
  9. VernonRemington

VernonRemington Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Another nomination for Andrew Charlet. Very happy with the work he did on my A100.

10. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2011
    As far as I know, there was no prohibition. There was a warning to not give out Po-boys for the originals.
    DSC_a1350.jpg DSC_a1058.jpg DSC_a1352.jpg DSC_a1358.jpg

Lapedog and greenstickynote like this.
  11. greenstickynote

greenstickynote

Jul 11, 2014
    who did the bulldog conversions ? (above post)

12. Turbo4x4

Jun 4, 2011
    This is the work of a famous Moscow custom maker.

greenstickynote likes this.
  13. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Actually that is incorrect, Mr. Emerson did in fact "prohibit" or actually respectfully request for no further CQC-6 (or 5) "Po Boys" to be made. Those are exclusively full Custom Handmade models that have never been made as "production" models. Other models are fair game, but recreating the boat tail 6 is a no no.

14. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Yep, what @Officer's Match said. It's been that way for years. And you don't see people in the US doing it anymore. I have some pre-Cease and Desist versions, but a couple go back to like 2009. Not surprised at all that it's still being done elsewhere.

15. Turbo4x4

Jun 4, 2011
    So I misunderstood?
    24892887_26510.jpg 24892887_26520.jpg

16. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Well, it's pretty clear in those posts from the other place. Frankly I'd be careful about cross posting that from there.

There are at least two issues mentioned there.
    A. Some people were buying these pimped 6's under false pretenses, thinking they were real and then trying to get them serviced.

B. it's his Intellectual Property and people are copying/stealing it - it says "he hopes this continues to happen (the Po'Boy conversions), without creating copies of his flagship knife."

A Po'Boy is modifying the handle, bolster, etc. to make a new version of an existing knife. Grinding a Bulldog into a 6 grind and then giving it all new boat tail scales and liners, etc. is clearly making a Po'Boy 6 which Mr. Emerson did ask people to stop doing.

Officer's Match and Turbo4x4 like this.
  17. Turbo4x4

Jun 4, 2011
    Now I understand! Thank you for the clarification!