[Poll] Secure-Ex Sheath

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by dogstar, May 29, 2020.

What do you think of Secure-Ex Sheaths?

1. ------------Section 1------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It does not bother me

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. It is a concern, but I work around it

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. I buy CS knives and replace the sheath

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. I avoid CS knives because of the sheath

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. -------------Section 2 -----------------------------------

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. YES, CS should use a different material

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  8. NO, Secure-Ex is fine

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    Okay, what are your thoughts on the glass-reinforced material used By Cold Steel for sheaths? It's been know to dull the edge more than other sheath materials.

Vote once in section 1, vote once in section 2.

nephron, Smiling and Survivalistd like this.
  2. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Got a mini tac tanto. The sheath dulled the knife. The sheath was bulky. But the package was inexpensive so I cant complain. I ended up making my own sheath out of an old kydex sheath I had laying around.
    [​IMG]

3. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I hope this gets Cold Steel’s attention. The factory edges of their knives are excellent. It’s a shame for glass interior sheaths to cancel that out.

4. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Cold Steel knives have awesome design, good ergonomics, come razor sharp, hold their edge decently, take an edge easily, and are as tough as nails. And to make it even better - they're very affordable, price/quality ratio is just top notch.

Then there's something to spoil that experience - sheath with glass inside of it.

nephron and DangerZone98 like this.
  5. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I would pay extra to get a leather sheath along with the Secure-Ex. Probably 90% of the time a leather sheath works fine for me, the Secure-Ex is nice(except for the dulling etc)for a tactical type application.
    Oh, am I the only one who hates the scratches that appear on the blade no matter how often I clean the sheath?
    Must be a coincidence almost all my fixed blades have factory leather sheaths......

dogstar and Smiling like this.
  6. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Personally, I’d pay more for kydex. Cold Steel has supplied good kydex ones in the past.