1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Post Anvil finds! We'll sort of haha...

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by jakeotter, Apr 1, 2016.

1. jakeotter

jakeotter

Aug 29, 2014
    Hi all just wanted to see what you all thought of my recent finds. Can't find an anvil for sale anywhere, so just went to the scrap yard. I have a local one that lets me scavenge around and cuts anything I need. Since I only bladesmith I've decided to just make a post anvil and worry about a traditional anvil down the road. One pic is a piece of fork lift tine, other is oil pumpjack counter weight. Got both for 10 bucks. Fork tine has good rebound already, the counterweight surprisingly isn't bad either, I didn't expect much. Any idea what the steels might be? Figured fork tine was 4140, no clue about counter weight.... [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Will52100

Will52100

Dec 4, 2001
    No idea, the counter weight I'd guess is soft scrap re-run steel, no telling but wouldn't think it'd be hard as it doesn't need to be for a counter weight. The fork tine would make an excellent post anvil, both will be useful for sure though. For 10$ you can't go wrong, wish I could find scrap like that around here for that price!

Anyway, you will enjoy a post anvil. For bladesmithing you don't need the horn or heel or anything like that, they mostly just get in the way of forging bevels.

3. VaughnT

VaughnT

Feb 7, 2010
    That counterweight has a tab welded onto it, so you know it's at least mild steel and not cast iron. Considering the quality of anvils used to make swords back in the day when swords were actually used regularly, I'd say it will do a dandy job if you do your part. And, it looks really interesting. If you ever do public demos, having a unique anvil can set you apart from the crowd.... in a good way.

Forklift tines are good stuff, for sure, but I'd be more inclined to use the counterweight. just stand it up on the two legs already provided by the design, and you'll have a sweet little anvil.

4. jakeotter

jakeotter

Aug 29, 2014
    Well I heat treated the counterweight. Made a pit forge and buried top half in coals, got to non magnetic and tossed in huge cast iron kettle full of ice water. Can't believe how well it turned out! I figured it was just junk steel, but I actually might have better rebound than the fork lift tine. Tested with ball bearing and jumped like a bouncy ball lol. Very happy with it since it was five bucks. I'll be welding feet and mounting to large round of oak very soon. Here's some pics of it and the fork tine buried in concrete filled heavy wall square tubing. She's heavy now haha[​IMG]

[​IMG]