1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

post up your ultra packable shelters

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by uluapark, Jun 12, 2015.

1. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm not quite as hardcore as some of the guys here who can spend a few nights on the ground with just a tarp over them. I need an actual tent. Mine is the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. Its pretty light at about 3 pounds and its what I take with me backpacking. This was from a few years ago in the Armstrong Redwood Forest here in northern California...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    ENO Single Nest/Pro Tarp:

[​IMG]

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT (not my pic):

[​IMG]

4. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    nice, do i spy a glock or springfield xd in two tone in the tent? darn plastic fantastics look all the same:stupid:...lol joking nice sidearm, what cal?

5. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    Yeah, its a Glock 21 in OD Green with a Surefire X400 on it. I'm not really a plastic guy either, but its the lightest .45 that I own.

6. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    i figured it would be either a .45 or .357 sig, if you brought it into the woods.makes sense, gotta have a critter get ridder:p
    how does it handle with full power loads compared to a standard .45 ACP Colt?

7. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    I use a poncho to make a shelter

[​IMG]

the photo shows my old US Army poncho, but the coating is shot

I now use a Outdoor Products Packframe Poncho from REI for $35 @ 13 oz
    Treated all the seams and is quite adequate

8. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    It does okay. I feel the recoil a bit more than on my 1911's. A little more snappy, but nothing unmanageable.

Back on topic, I was looking forward to seeing other people's woods shelters and I'm surprised this thread isn't packed with photos already.

9. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    My friend, you are braver than i. I would never do that type of shelter for one reason, snakes, and not the garden snake variety either. In my 33 yrs of living, i have had 2 rattlesnakes, 1 copperhead, and 3 cottonmouths try to join me while camping. my pup tent while floorless is always staked down tight so snakes dont come from underneath.nothing ruins a camping trip like waking up to the hising of a pissed off snake in your tent/shelter. not to mention they are food for much more worrysome critters.

10. bore

bore

May 20, 2015
    [​IMG]

Go Lite Shangri La 3

11. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    here's a few pics taken over the years starting with the oldest to newest:

hardware store 6'x8'.

[​IMG]

bcusa mest 5'x7'.

[​IMG]

survival solutions o.p.s.e.c. poncho.

[​IMG]

integral designs silnylon 8'x10'.

[​IMG]

integral designs in the front and bcusa multicam 10'x10' in the back that my cousin borrowed along with my hammock.

[​IMG]

kifaru supertarp with annex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bcusa silnylon 10'x10' over my hammock and bcusa mest silnylon 5'x7' over the camp fire to shield it from the rain.

[​IMG]

kifaru sheep tarp 5'x9'4".

[​IMG]

12. BlackHills

BlackHills

Nov 6, 2006
    Lightheart Gear Solo (In a campground because it's the only pic I have of it.)

[​IMG]

13. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    If you are in snake country, then any tarp set up has this problem

14. B34NS

B34NS

Dec 30, 2013
    Nowadays I'm pretty partial to the flycreek ul2. Not so much for the snakes as much as for spiders, ants, and scorpions. Still bring the ol' tarp out for some lightweight hunting and fishing trips though.

12x10 BCUSA
    [​IMG]

Flycreek UL2
    [​IMG]

They're so light I just bring both.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  15. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    I have several tarp set ups. This one also includes a inflatable pad from REI, and is great for kayak camping
    [​IMG]

16. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    Nice stuff - for the tarp only guys, how do you deal with mosquitoes or is that not a concern in your environment?

17. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    i usually camp in the colder months so most times for me bug spray is enough to ward them off but during the summer i'll bring a bug net. i forgot what brand this is (i'll look it up if you want) but the 4 corners happens to match exactly all my tarps' tab locations when setup as an a-frame giving me a wide protection all around.

[​IMG]

18. mec003

mec003

Jan 1, 2015
    I've only ever tarp camped in late fall in my area. Can't handle the bugs otherwise and am apprehensive about snakes. I much prefer a tent.

19. tantrik77

tantrik77

Apr 25, 2013
    This is a good thread.

Hey OP, what does that Austrian pup tent weigh? The US Army pup tents are a sick, sad joke, but this looks a lot better and much lighter weight.

For the rest of you guys, I have to say that after moving to a hammock, tents are a thing of the past for me. They are lightweight, compact, I never have to worry about things crawling on me or a rattler coming to say hey, and I stay off the cold ground. There is not a single aspect of it that makes me want to go back to a tent.

I use a Kammok Roo: http://kammok.com/products/roo

20. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    it weighs 5 lbs total.