post up your ultra packable shelters

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by uluapark, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    my tarp in the picture was set up in a swamp, on the Ocklawaha River. Yeah, 'skeeters are a problem. "Off "spray with Deet, and a ThermaCell make life liveable though.

2. mckrob

mckrob Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Hilleberg Soulo. It's 4lb 7oz, not bad for a really well built four season tent, and it packs up really small.

[​IMG]

MEC Guides Tarp and MEC Goretex Bivy

[​IMG]

3. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Question for my fellow tarpers...

How do you keep blow by from getting on your bag?

I usually end carrying a bivy/bag cover of some sort. But that adds weight.

4. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    I find more and more of my backcountry trips I'm going w/ my eVENT bivy, it packs up extremely small, it's lightweight, it has a very small footprint allowing to use almost any site, it's quick (like 30 seconds quick! :D) and I find it adds almost 10 degrees to my sleep system allowing me to go w/ a lighter bag. If it's not cloudy, I have an unobstructed view of the sky, cowboy camping at it's finest!

[​IMG]

I'm using it year round, winter included, it's great in a snow trench or cave- keeps everything nice and dry (and toasty!)

If I know it's likely to be raining, I'll add a 5x5 tarp (5 oz) just to be able to cook/eat out of the rain

[​IMG]

It's a little spartan to be sure, but it's simple and effective and adds to the wilderness experience.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  5. neeman

neeman

Apr 5, 2007
    Hi
    What is the weight of a bivi bag and a small tarp?

I looked at the Wild Country bivi and a small tarp vs the 3x3 tarp.
    The 3x3 tarp was lighter and so much more versatile, I scrapped the bivi idea

6. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    the bivy is 13 oz, the 5x5 tarp (when I bring it) is 5 oz

the simplicity, small foot print, added warmth and 4 season use is what makes a bivy appealable to me- it's not for everyone to be sure, but either is tarp camping- when my wife goes with, we take a tent :)

I'm assuming you are talking meters, not feet- 3x3' would be pretty darn small :D

7. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    I also find the tarp/bivy combo pretty hard to beat for versatility. Most of the time, the bivy is all I need or use. And like MTW says, you can take advantage of smaller and sometimes more sheltered places than you can with a tent, minimizing the need for the latter. And when it gets nasty, I can quickly pitch a small, lightweight silnylon tarp overhead. If you want to go light and simple (my bivy/tarp combo weighs 29oz), but still have good weather protection, it's a good way to go. :thumbup:

8. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    what happens if you get stuck in a pissing,driving rain? a tarp doesn't offer but top protection. unless it is a huge tarp line 10x13.

9. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    hard driving rain is the reason a bivy is commonly used w/ smaller tarps, the bivy is either waterproof or highly water resistant- this protects your sleep system from any rain splash

w/o a bivy, a small tarp offers protection but in a hard driving rain there is a definitely a chance you or your gear could get wet

I used to use a poncho-tarp that was small (5x8) w/ a water resistant bivy and it fared pretty well (it was also damn light, the tarp was ~ 8 oz and the bivy ~ 5 oz and it also served as my rain gear), even in some pretty hard rains; I've since switched to a fully waterproof bivy for the sheer simplicity w/ just a minor hit to weight

my previous poncho tarp/bivy combo-

[​IMG]

10. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    This.

You can set your tarp so it has a steep pitch down to the ground for side protection, but yeah - in a driving rain, water will find it's way in and around the tarp and probably end up soaking your bag. That's where a good lightweight and waterproof bivy really shines.

11. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    better to carry a tent,and a small shovel to make a rain trench.

12. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    Why is that better?

13. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    more complete protection from elements, dangerous fauna.

14. mtwarden

mtwarden

Sep 27, 2009
    I will often use a tent @ high elevation in the winter (or any season w/ my wife! :)), but I'd simply rather save the weight/volume otherwise- our dangerous fauna here make short work out of tents or tarps :D

15. Macchina

Macchina

Apr 7, 2006
    In the winter we bring a few 5 gallon pails:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the other seasons it's a Warbonnet Blackbird:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. gsx-rboy750

gsx-rboy750

Jul 3, 2014
    My DIY hammock and tarp (I also have a bugnet for it) Below a 3 season Primeloft Gold underquilt I just made. I have slept in -10.F in it with winter underquilt. Everything packs small and about 4lbs with the hammock, bugnet, 12 foot tarp and underquilt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    emergency signal/tarp/poncho/hammock/watercontainer 7ozs DIY.
    [​IMG]

17. uluapark

uluapark

Aug 10, 2013
    what capacity pack do you use with this setup? 35 litre?

18. gsx-rboy750

gsx-rboy750

Jul 3, 2014
    My tent even for single is a MSR Hubba Hubba. This stuff packs smaller then my tenting setup. Typically I am not a gram weeny and use my Arcteryx Arrakis65 which can go small or large and is Bombproof and I got but have not used much a Granite Gear VC60.
    I am in Wisconsin so even in July I pack for 30-40'f.

19. Burncycle

Burncycle

Jan 3, 2005
    I wanted something that was light and packed down small enough that I could carry it in a daypack for an unexpected overnighter, but was good enough to use on a multi-day outing

Current setup is a Grand Trunks Nano 7 hammock w/ straps and buckles, MacCat Standard tarp, warbonnet bugnet, and I'm in the process of modifying an Ozark Trail cocoon 250 down sleeping bag into a peapod (adding pass-through holes, adding down, and treating with downproof for water resistance)

All in all it compresses really stinking small.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  20. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    I have the same tent in German Fleck...Love it