1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Potted plants .

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Kevin the grey, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    Nope this isn,t about agriculture . Unless you are growing it . It just seems that pot is being smoked around me so much in public that I thought the
    "Green Party" planted them there to tempt me into straying . Almost everyday I walk along mainstreet or even more so in front of residences people are smoking pot and in some cases none too discreetly .
    (How discreet can you be with a joint in your hand on a main thoroughfare ?)

As Munk just mentioned in another thread . How long before we smell it coming from a professional whose skill is above the level of a pool boy and whose services depend upon being level headed ?
    Heck if you want a puff occasionally it is not in me to object . It just seems to me that this lax behaviour is going to end up giving us a second class citizen incapable of doing more than asking us if we want paper or plastic.

2. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    how does this differ from people who are abusers of any given substance you can throw a stick at, legal or otherwise? alcohol? prescription meds? UNDER medicated for various conditions? insanely tired? not too much.

someone driving along that hasn't slept much is just as dangerous and possibly more impaired than yer average professional alcoholic.

yah, i agree impairment is a problem... the question is what to do about it?

bladite

3. Dave Rishar

Dave Rishar

Oct 25, 2004
    Quoted for truth.

Believe it or not, you can pull off some pretty impressive stunts while drunk if you've been drinking for a while and know how to handle it. I've never met someone who could do the same while exhausted.

If someone is both drunk and exhausted, find another car to ride in.

4. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    in college, after a serious round of quarters, 30 minutes to almost passing out, i could still ride a unicycle and juggle :p

this weekend, after several stiff rum drinks, legally shit for brains for driving, i could manage a short juggle of 5 balls. 4, not so bad, and 3 no problem - better than many folx who were there and not yet drunk as i think i was ;)

so yeah, a trained drunk, can do some interesting things.

bladite

5. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    I agree there are numerous problems . To lump growing use of an illegal drug with a general social malaise only serves to disguise the problem . To say there are many illegalities does not make one illegality any less important . we could say many things are related and so on until everything is related . Simply because everything is related . I also agree that social ills should not be singled out and I am not . I am just pointing out a rapid rise and general acceptance of illegal drug use in public . Am I against people puffing pot ? The answer may surprise you . It is a blatant display of flaunting laws that I see as a part of a downward spiral .

6. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Kevin you would be amazed at the number of professional people I know that toke on a joint of good weed quite regularly!!!!:eek: ;) :D
    But they're not blatant about it and only do it on weekends unless they are on call.
    On the other side of the question I have known a couple or three youngens who had already smoked themselves into a permanent stupor.:grumpy: :( :thumbdn:

7. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    Yvsa I can,t agree with you more . Aside from this being a semi-public forum discretion forbids me from saying more . To me it is not even so much the stupefication of those who wish to be stupefied . It is the public display which communicates the idea that public drug use is O:K: . It indicates Poor judgement . I don,t want someone working on me that has poor judgement .

8. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    That is also USUALLY also the sign of a law that should not exist...

Do not get me wrong, I do not, and never have used illegal drugs, and even if they are legalized, I will not start... I think they are a bad idea in most cases...

BUT... I think that the government has NO BUSNESS prohibiting their use...
    It is the prohibition that causes the crime levels that we have today...
    We would need a LOT less police if there were no drug laws, and THAT is probably why we will never see com pleat legalization...

Sure, there would be people that would abuse the drugs... But they do that anyway...
    It is just that now they rob people to pay for their habit, and end up buying contaminated drugs that can end up killing them...
    The same thing happened with prohibition of alcohol... Without prohibition, we would not have had the ascension of organized crime to a major problem...

9. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    Just because we can does not mean we should . There has to be a line drawn if people are to live together in general harmony .This line is a general consensus over social mores .
    Alcohol is not prohibited and yet it is still illegal most places in North America to traipse down the street with a beer in your hand .

10. mamav

mamav

Apr 23, 2003

A few months back in Mesa, a young man in his 20's ran off the road and up onto the sidewalk and killed a kid coming out of the high school. Apparently he had fallen asleep at the wheel. Since toxicology ruled out illegal drugs and alcohol this young man is free and clear to walk (and drive again) the streets. He was on prescription drugs which caused the accident and got no sentence whatsoever. (I really need to find out who his lawyer was) ( or who the kid he killed was...........a jock or punk??) This was a very upsetting situation to many of us in the PD down here. Not sure what all the ramifications are, but still, for him to get nothing was a slap in the face to every citizen.

I bring this up to point out that many of the drugs that are prescription are worse than alcohol and illegals put together............I'm on some of those. I personally wouldn't think of driving a vehicle.....much less walk out the front door when I've had to take them. But technically it isn't illegal. Sad, very sad.

11. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    That's a damned shame Gin. We had something similar happen here but the guy taking the pills is in jail.

I think medicines affect all of us differently. If I were able to smoke pot legally then I wouldn't drive because I know what it does to me and I'm not in any shape too drive.
    My prescription drugs on the other hand don't do anything for me except to cut the pain to a level I can live with it.
    And thankfully since this last back surgery I don't have to take nearly as many Percosets for the breakthrough pain. Last week I took 20 pills in 10 doses in 8 days and I had exerted myself more. It appears this week is gonna be pretty much the same since we've started back to the health club and working out again.:thumbup: :D :cool:
    Anyway even with the breakthrough Perosets I have complete control of my facilities and the only time I don't drive is when I'm not supposed to from getting injections in my knees or back every four to six months and then Barbie drives although I could because the meds don't affect my senses but are liable to affect my physical abilities and I won't take any chances of anything doing that.
    I'm also on Ambien now and all it does is help me go to sleep, doesn't keep me from waking up three or four times a night like it does some folks.
    But evidently I have a high tolerance for drugs the same as I do for pain.
    All my Drs' say I'm tough and I guess I am, must be the genes or something.;) :rolleyes: :)

12. Bladite

Feb 28, 2003
    except in the MOST EXTREME and BELLIGERENT examples, vehicular homicide seems to be a wash these days. there's so many examples in the news of people doing the most heinous things, and they are not ticketed for fined or spend a single day in jail... perfectly sober straight ace people running others over "oops, didn't see him"... i'm talking about not actual accidents in the true sense, but stupid people running over innocents. then they do stupid things like keep going or hiding for a few days... almost nothing happens to them. even career drunk drivers - almost nothing. yank their license? they don't care. they keep doing it.

yeah, there's cases where true accidents occur - loss of control due to mechanical failure, or something stupid like the person that got hit walking blind in front of a semi... can't help those.

bladite

13. cliff355

cliff355

Apr 19, 2003
    I'm not a drinker or doper either, but to this I would add:

1. How many people were in Detox last night from smoking too much marijuana?

2. How many people went to the calabooso last night for disorderly conduct or assault because they smoked some marijuana and then got into a fight?

3. How many people died last night from overdose/withdrawal from marijuana?

If eliminating some/all drug laws did not decrease the number of police, it just might cut down on the backed up calls the current number of police usually have.

14. rosconey

rosconey

Dec 18, 2005
    cops in london let the hooligans smoke pot at soccer games becuase they dont fight-the drunks fight-

i dont drink but i do enjoy a smoke after work-i can get up the next day and not be a danger to others on my way to work-not so with the drunk,they can still be drunk on the drive in-they also might cause injury's while at work-

pot is to be enjoyed at home or at a tailgate party

15. Nordic Viking

Nordic Viking

Sep 18, 2000
    Pot is illegal because "the man" hasn't found out how to make money from it. Can you dig it?

16. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    I'll second that.

17. Kevin the grey

Kevin the grey

Aug 26, 2005
    I am not against pot being smoked . If that is not apparent I am making it so now . It is well that people have different opinions . I accept that . In fact I welcome it . For anyone to say public drug use is a boon to society displays a lack of judgement . This is my opinion . We are a society that has begun to favor license over liberty . This only deprives us of our freedom . Should we give license to those who wish to consume drugs in front of children ? What about the children of people who do not choose to consume drugs ? Is this the message we wish to convey ? There is a time and a place for everything .Judgement must be shown . It is not an "either or" situation .
    Being able to use judgement and master the art of degree is a sign of a mature society.
    Allowing liberties in the name of freedom is the sign of a society in decay .

18. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    Hayv Kevin, Hayv!!!! Some things should be kept private and smoking dope is one of them.
    Being in the Bible Belt of the Southwest it's not something you see very often here but I'm sure it is done at times and at certain places according to the people who hang there.
    I also don't think being overly affectionate in public is a decent thing either except maybe for a passionate kiss between a man and his wife for a few seconds before they leave to go home or get a room.
    One of the things that really bugs the hell outta me is the dirty mouths of kids these days in public.
    They commonly say things loudly in public that was only muttered under our breath when I was a kid.
    They use the "f" word like damn or hell and it makes you wonder what they have left to say when things really go down the tube.:rolleyes: :mad: