1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Precise benchtop drill press?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Justin Schmidt, Feb 16, 2019.

1. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    Aside being unlucky with ex-factory runout, the major drawback of those "light" drill presses is that their column will flex during drilling into steel.
    Old machines and industrial ones have more rigid setups.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  2. erik markman

erik markman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 13, 2007
    Flott is what uou want.

3. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    @Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith your in the jewelry business. What do you think about this little guy?
    [​IMG]
    Its variable speed and the company said it can be used for steel and the chuck accepts bits up to 1/4. I only need 3/16 lol

4. Augus7us

Augus7us

Oct 9, 2014
    Yes, but they are expensive. I'd probably buy a nice mini mill first.

5. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    I would pass on that drill press...Give me a tree trunk for a spindle not a twig. The idea that Micro size automatically equates to precision is not always true. Mass equates to rigidity less deflection and you see this on a mill spindle in comparison to a drill press.

The second thing to consider is the type of drill bits. Short screw machine bits for precision holes instead of Jobber length bits.

6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    Valknut-
    I have one of those. They are really cute-and totally useless. No power at all.

7. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Well gents looks like the knife making gods decided to smile on me found this guy for 50 bucks on Facebook!
    [​IMG]
    Only problem is the chuck is siezed and there was no key.
    [​IMG]
    I have a delta 11-990 that I'm gonna try and use the chuck off of. If not I'll just get an albrecht from ebay

seanj likes this.
  8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    That Homecraft will work for some tasks. It is a 1/4HP unit, and not heavy duty … but it will drill holes. The issue may be how much runout the bearings have . You had to keep those well lubed or they would wear.

9. Kali4nia

Kali4nia

Aug 12, 2015
    I wanted to start milling and upping my folder game. Looked at seems like thousands of mills. From harbor freight to hass. I almost bought the desk top precision matthews, old Bridgeport (abused), couldn't afford the hass, looked at the shop fox etc. I ended up with a tormach 440 and wish I got the 720 now. My advice is buy once, cry once and get the biggest x,y,z travel possible. You don't need it now, but you will eventually. An example would be, you set up a pallet and a vise. If your table is big enough you can keep both attached. If it is small you'll have to remove both each time you go to a different project or part of a project.