PREDOMINANTLY One knife 30 day challenge?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cbach8tw, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Now before I posted this thread, I tried to search for the idea, maybe I did not use the correct verbiage to find it, but I could not find where this had been done. I enjoyed reading the same challenge on the other bushcraft site. So here I was reading the latest "if you could only have three knives", etc, etc, etc and realized there are plenty of those, but what about where the challenge is to pick one knife and use it for PREDOMINANTLY everything for 30 days? It forces you to think about your choice a little bit, but do not ponder it too long where the fun is taken out of the idea. Could you get buy with your cutting needs with just that one knife? Everyone has different needs, your needs would vary from others. So that is the challenge and can people post how it goes for those 30 days? A progress report and we get to see some cool knives in action.

Edited title: to say predominantly one knife....I had to modify since I am guilty of two knives. Although one has been used more than the other.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Dcdavis, jfk1110 and guy g like this.
  2. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    I have posted a couple of times in the recent thread here where I am doing just this. Last month I did a Kershaw Atmos and this month it is my GEC 93. If you don't feel like reading through the posts I can summarize here also just let me know. My plan is to go through my knives and see which ones I really enjoy and connect with and also to really try and discover what I may want in a future knife purchase if there is not something in my current collect that ticks all of the boxes.

And pictures Mahe everything better:
    [​IMG]

JerseyFresh85, Hawk45, Quiet and 4 others like this.
  3. Grizzm@n

[email protected] Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I EDC'd a combo edge Endura exclusively for a bit over 20 years. The only other folder I owned, besides a couple backup Enduras, was a Buck 425.

Using one knife for 30 days should be easy, but choosing it may not be. I'll start with a custom Griptilian, either with a drop point serrated blade, or a Sheepsfoot blade. I'll make that decision when the Sheepsfoot arrives.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  4. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks for your participation everyone, I appreciate your time. And @[email protected] has a very good point, choosing would be the hard part. @katataragasi I would like to hear your conclusions on your usage of the two. Please share and hope this makes everyone think a little bit.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    guy g and ktataragasi like this.
  5. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    We had a 30 day challenge a couple of years ago. We were asked to pick a knife that we normally did not use and report back here about our findings.

I picked a Vic Cadet for my thirty-day carry.

guy g, ktataragasi and cbach8tw like this.
  6. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I have different knives for different uses. If any one could do the job of all of them I wouldn’t have any others.

Put another way, I wouldn’t want to dice a pile of onions with a paring knife any more than I’d want to scrub the kitchen floor with a toothbrush.

x20, afishhunter and guy g like this.
  7. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I could, but since my typical tasks are rather varied, it's better than I have a few.

guy g likes this.
  8. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    There is a one year challenge for CRK's in the CRK forum
    I personally have been carrying the same knife(Shamwari liner lock) for over a year now. It didn't set out as a challenge, just worked out that way.
    So my pick is Shamwari liner lock-chances are pretty good it will be there for another 30 days and beyond.

Dcdavis, guy g and ktataragasi like this.
  9. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Luckily, we have a choice of the right tool for the job with the many ones we have, and I am glad I do not have to be forced to choose only one, but it is interesting to contemplate your requirements and what tool you would need to meet those needs......especially if it is the only tool you had with you should the proverbial manure hit the oscillating device. I was trying to avoid thinking about it too much, but I would have my ML Hudson Bay knife in my BOB to be a dependable workhorse. Or at least a Mora. However, I am not expecting the doomsday scenario or the survival scenario, and I have found that when I am glamping, at work, or just at home, my needs are pretty routine. I could get by with my SA Alox Pioneer. Just yesterday I needed to use the bottle opener to open a bottle of beer.......the few and very far between times I do drink a beer with food. And I guess I would have to try the SA at slicing up an onion. :D With kitchen duty in mind, maybe I would have chosen a jack of all trades medium sized fixed blade, but there is the rub, what can I do with that SA?
    @katataragasi had a good point in discovering what he may need in a future knife. I am thinking about this too much!!:p

10. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Undoubtedly the most useful to me would be a 5 1/2” to 6 1/2” fixed blade. That’d be my Robinson Crusoe choice.

11. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I carried the same blue Benchmade Bugout every day for approx 900 days straight, minus a couple plane trips in which I had to go knife-less, from August 2017 until February 2020. In February of this year I bought a green/grey Bugout that I've alternated with the blue as to which one I carry up until a couple weeks ago when I stored the green/grey away and went back to the blue one exclusively. If you count it as the same knife (the only difference between them is the color), then I've been carrying the same knife for just shy of 1,100 days straight. And as of the last two weeks, I pared down my knife "collection" to only those two Bugouts; no other knives beyond kitchen knives. Thus I can confidently say I will be carrying a Bugout exclusively for the next 30 days :)

12. dryflytrout

dryflytrout

Jan 15, 2017
    I carried a Buck 110 for months. Then I bought a Bugout last November which I carried until June. Since June I've had a Bradford Guardian 3 in M390 on me most days. Sometimes I switch it up with the Bugout or a custom fixed blade I picked up on the exchange. The Guardian could easily get me through a couple months if I didn't get bored with the same knife everyday and have a couple other choices (and growing).

guy g, cbach8tw and ktataragasi like this.
  13. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Can't be done - not because I can't decide, or stick with a knife for that long; but because I carry more than one knife (when I'm not at work).
    I'll carry the same 3 knives for a month, no problem.

allenC, guy g, sbh06 and 5 others like this.
  14. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I carry the same knives sometimes for months on end but there are minimum two ... a fixed and a folder and 90% of the time there is at least a third knife on me ... so I see no value in me going to one only for a month and making my life harder.

Some of the reason is I can't pull out my fixed blade in some situations these days or someone may get worked up about it. And my fixed blade does a lot of my cutting chores throughout my days.

I have no doubt that I could do it but I see no advantage or incentive to do it. But if it tickles your fancy by all means "get er done".

guy g and cbach8tw like this.
  15. Grizzm@n

[email protected] Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2020
    I will continue to carry a 2nd knife through the challenge (and also an SAK when able), but I won't use it unless the primary one is unable to safely complete the cut. At that point, the challenge has ended, so use of a different one no longer matters.

cbach8tw likes this.
  16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I do this with just about every new knife I buy. I carry it and use it for pretty much everything for at least a month to get a feel for the design and determine what I like about it and what I don't. That's not to say it's the only knife on my person as I seldom carry only one knife, but it's the one I reach for.

Sometimes the knife doesn't make it a month because I find it has too many things I don't like about it. Sometimes it goes longer, because it fits my usage so well.

Last one was a Cold Steel Grik. It lasted in my pocket for a few months.
    Currently it's a Spyderco Cat. So far two weeks and going strong.

Lee D, ArchVV, afishhunter and 5 others like this.
  17. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    ;) Not going to work for me !

I habitually carry 2 clip folders , anytime I got pants on .

And recently added a keychain knife .

So , when outside , I almost always have 3 knives on my person . :cool::thumbsup:

guy g likes this.
  18. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I have 5 knives I carry to work, one for each day of the week. I don’t use them around the house. This is purely so I don’t use the knife for something at work, then do something with it at home and rub my eye or something and get the ‘rona.

I have a few knives I’ve only been using around the house so I don’t have to worry about it.

With the current situation being what it is, I could never limit myself to one knife to carry for 30 days. I’m in a hotspot and have positive cases at work, so there’s no way I’d take the risk of transfer.

Now in “the before times” I had no problem at all with carrying the same knife for 30 days. Lol, I’d carry the same knife for years with no problem.

guy g likes this.
  19. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I was going to ask the obvious question; but decided against it.

Is that with, or without, pants?

Now I'm confused - no reference to pants, and you said the knives are on your person... should it, then, be assumed that (most of the time) you are outside without pants? Hopefully, you're sporting a kilt :eek:

cbach8tw and DocJD like this.
  20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    o_O:oops::rolleyes::p

I live WAY out the country , semi-wilderness .

Pants are optional . Unless there's visitors . :cool:

Probably TMI , but you asked ! :rolleyes:

No ,really , unless sleeping , I almost always have pants or shorts with pockets on . Indoors or out . :p:thumbsup:

guy g likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.