PREDOMINANTLY One knife 30 day challenge?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cbach8tw, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I'm not looking for a change. Back when I eventually settled on the Vic Small Tinker, I was taking a "peanut challenge" as I was genuinely interested to see if I would be satisfied with carrying a small knife like a peanut. I discovered that small folding pocket knives meet most of my needs. The concept intrigued me. I was carrying what I called "medium sized" knives prior to switching to the Small Tinker.

ktataragasi and marchone like this.
  2. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    For my everyday needs and context, the ESEE Izula works just fine. Perfect blend of discretion, ease-of-use, and durability. I can roll with that for 30 days straight no problem.

But if we’re talking the hypothetical post-societal collapse kind of thing, then maybe a Recon Tanto.

ktataragasi likes this.
  3. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    In my younger years i only had a few knives. The knives that got at least 30 days continuous carry:

Case 2 bladed pen knife
    Christy
    Buck Stockman
    Gerber sportsman lock back
    Gerber LST

4. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I have at least 3 knives on me just going out to check the mailbox. But, if I had to choose only one knife to carry for 30 days, it would be my Carothers DEK1 just as soon as I get her majesty into my hands! :cool::thumbsup:

5. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    I’ve been carrying one of these two since late June.

[​IMG]

Mostly it’s been the Swayback. The 0900 has been sort of a relief knife when I really feel like something fidgety. I’m sticking with the duo until at least Labor Day. It’s been fun!

Last spring/summer I went through a household move. I knew if I was rotating knives, something would get lost. I picked my Spyderco Southard for duty and everything else went into 3 months of deep storage. I used that Southard for everything from cutting carpet to spreading peanut butter. It came through with flying colors! I love that knife.

[​IMG]

6. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Great all-around knife, non-threatening color.
    [​IMG]

Quiet and ktataragasi like this.
  7. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    In my opinion, some of you are missing the point of a 30-day challenge. It is not to use only one knife for 30 days because we all know that probably won't work for most of us. It is to just expand your horizons and try something different.

The last time I was involved in a 30 day carry, the goal was to carry something different than your normal EDC. If you usually carried a Mini Grip, then try something from Spyderco or a traditional folder. If you always carried a traditional, swap it out for something modern. It was also understood that you might need a different tool for work.

Some people bought new blades just for the challenge. Others were going through their knife stash and picking something they normally would not ever carry. That is what I did. I am not a big fan of metal scales or knives with blades under 3 inches. Plus, pocket knives with nail nicks are normally not my cup of tea. The Vic Cadet has all three of those strikes against it. That is why it became my challenge carry.

At the end of thirty days, I had a lot of respect for the Pioneer's little Alox Cadet brother. It was smaller than I liked but I could do 85-90% of my light-duty task without any problem. I still prefer blades 3 inches or more but, the Cadet will meet my needs.

8. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    ^^^
    I don't have anything else, yet.

9. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I am glad someone likes it. Just did not work for me. Ended up with a D'Allara 3 instead.

10. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    This is hard. I carry a Vic Super Tinker everyday in my medicine bag, and have for years.

I've carried knives before for weeks or a month out of convenience, as my knife roll and pouches were out of easy reach because of the nephews. I carried my We Deacon for at least 6 weeks.

Now, with a locking display case on my end table, the temptation to rotate is too strong.

Based on temperature, clothing, and use, It would be one of three knives:

Spyderco Para 3 Spy27 lightweight
    Southern Grind Spider Monkey
    Brian Tighe and friends Twist Tighe OTF

As the para 3 is new, I carry it frequently. Lately, the SM gets the most carry. Despite my disdain for thumbstuds, I love the knife, especially with the new clip and that it is to get get extremely sharp.

11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    That is a good way to look at, I did not think about carrying something different than what you normally carry. That would be a good learning experience and you discover aspects of knives you may have that would go undiscovered since they would stay in the drawer. There is a learning curve here, which is a good thing. I also did not think about a multi tool as an EDC, but that could work too.
    What I am also hearing is that EDC needs vary, and some of the routine tasks these knives are used for ends when they come home from work or play, those EDC tasks are primarily done. Thus, when dinner time comes, kitchen duty and cooking are considered different than EDC. Correct? Even I did not consider using my AG Russel Cowboy as a cook knife. I naturally go for the small parry knives to cut up veggies and butter knives to spread jam or butter on my rolls. And there is the hygenic concerns too, and there was mention of using different tools with the Covid concerns.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  12. Kabancheck

Kabancheck

Aug 11, 2018
    Very interesting advice. I tried to imagine what will be the challenge for me and understand that I have no experience with carrying of fixed blades as EDC. I have couple of really nice knives for that niche, but never tried.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    As I mentioned previously, I seek no challenge that might facilitate a change in what I carry or the size of knives I might carry. I don't need to expand my horizons because I know it will be just a waste of money and the knife or knives will just get dumped (carefully of course) in one of my tubs.

You learned that the Cadet could handle most of your needs. I chose the Small Tinker and found it handled most of my needs. Why change at this point? What can I say? Take the challenge if you seek to broaden your horizons.

14. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Does anyone use an Opinel or a Svord Peasant or Mini Peasant as their EDC and maybe for this challenge?

15. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Of course.

But there are some of us that usually rotate knives daily, or every couple of days.

For people like me, carrying any knife, even a favorite, nonstop for 30 days can be a novel experience!

In making my self-challenge last June, I wanted to really wring out the Swayback as a brand new knife, and one I kinda have polarizing feelings about.

I chose the 0900 as a companion because it’s something starkly different than the Swayback, and it’s been seldom carried & frequently on my ethereal “potential sell” list.

The exploration and juxtaposition has been fun.

ArchVV and Quiet like this.
  16. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Carry a knife for thirty days? I've gone it plenty of times with plenty of...what? Oh, you mean in a row? With a single knife? LOL No. There's too many awesome knives in my collection, and in existence to tie myself to one knife for an arbitrary reason.

BD_01 and sbh06 like this.
  17. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    It could be fun, who knows. I don't feel the need. I just use whatever knife I fancy for my day. There is always a necker on my neck, a folder in my pocket and a small fixed blade tucked in somewhere, anyways. And it feels good.

BD_01 likes this.
  18. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I'll carry this for the next 30 days. But honestly, it’s not much of a challenge.

8ABD1198-0938-4D8D-A121-8D5755529838.jpeg

19. mwhich50

Jan 18, 2011
    In reality, this is an impossible challenge for me. I carry a knife for a few days, and switch it out with another (all year long). The knives I actually use are my key chain SAK Classic, a SAK Spartan, or Officer at work, and a Kershaw Barrage at home. When I go on vacation I take a "rust-proof" knife.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  20. mwhich50

Jan 18, 2011
    I was thinking about purchasing a D'Allara when they were popping up on clearance, but it just didn't excite me, so I passed.
    I hope you got a second one before it was too late. I have seen a lot of good reviews on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.