PREDOMINANTLY One knife 30 day challenge?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by cbach8tw, Aug 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Nope. Only have one. Got a great price on it too. I looked at it for two years before I actually opened my wallet. I only wanted to add one Spyderco to my collection. The D'Allara had a lot going for it. The blade grind and shape I felt I needed. It was also not quite as thick as my Griptilians. Plus the ball-lock looked like it would be a good match with all my Benchmade knives. And, it just looks cool.

The only other Spydies under consideration were PM 2 and Para 3. The PM 2 lost because of blade geometry and overall size. The Para 3 lost out the first time I handled one. If Sal had left the back end of the scales in the same configuration as the PM 2 I would have bought one.

In reality, the D'Allara lock is lacking and Spyderco missed the boat with the pocket clip. It just does not work with this knife. A rescue knife with a tiny wire clip? What was Sal thinking? IMHO, If Sal had used the compression lock and clip from the PM 2 it would have been a completely different story. Then the D'Allara 3 would have been the knife that kicked the PM 2, Para 3, and the Military models all to the back of the bus.

In all fairness, I have not carried it much because of the pocket clip. I have considered a 30 day carry with a written review. Maybe this would be a good time for that to happen.

2. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    So, when is this 30-day challenge supposed to start? How are supposed to report our findings? In this thread?

It might be nice if the thirty days starts the first of the month. That would give some people the chance to pick up something new.

3. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Good thoughts.

4. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    I would say so. Unless you wanted to use the same knife. When I used the Cadet as my challenge knife, I was able to use it at work also. When I came home it was also used for food prep. Meals took much longer to prepare because of it. For thirty days I tried to use it as much as I could but understood that sometimes it was not going to happen. Safety, work restrictions, etc., all could get in the way. If I did sheetrock for a living, the Cadet would have stayed in my pocket until quitting time.

Now, that is something I would like to try! Not really practical for me though. Stupid knife laws.

If it is legal for you to carry fixed, why not try it and report back here. I would be interested in what you have to say.

cbach8tw likes this.
  5. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    A rational enough thought... but your interpretation is in direct conflict with this particular challenge. The opening post specifically said: the challenge is to pick one knife and use it for everything for 30 days

6. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Not necessarily, unless I am mistaken, the one knife you choose could be different from the type of knife or design that you normally carry. That would open some areas for testing and you may discover something about a knife you may not have known and do reasonably well for your tasks. Granted, and I see a point, you would want a knife you have used and felt comfortable using and already know its usefulness; you choose your gear wisely, and you know it will be up to the job. However, most decent knives will do the basic chores your old favorite does, maybe not as well, but it is possible to learn why you like the old one in first place ( confirming what you may know already ) or discovering something new about the "stuck in a drawer and gathering dust" alternative. It is the learning thing, something to experiment and not the "one knife to rule them all thing." I think I heard that in the Lord of the Rings. :D For example, I have used the AG Russell Cowboy for about two weeks already it is doing well, but I have discovered that the handle may be just a tad too thin. Also, it does not have a clip but I have it in a worn nylon pouch in my pocket, it rides well, but I worry about it falling out of my pocket, so I got to thinking of getting a pocket slip with a clip. I got a small one for my SA (not in use for this challenge), so a larger one may work. I may be guilty of not following the one knife for everything too, as mentioned before, my EDC stops when I get home, lay the Cowboy down, and start dinner. I will use a parry knife to chop the veggies and slice the chicken for the pan I throw in the oven. Too much junk to get stuck in the folder. I may have modified this to read use one knife predominately for most tasks. I am discovering the two-is-one rule is pretty wise. After this challenge, I may try to use my Opinel or Svord small Peasant for EDC. In an earlier post I was hoping to hear if anyone used them.
    I do appreciate all the comments, it is opening some good conversations. Stay thirsty my friends......and sharp!!! Hey, I knew I needed that bottle opener for something!! I have heard of someone using the spine of a folder to pry off a bottle top. I will try it...and hopefully not lose all the contents of the bottle.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  7. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    @cbach8tw
    That was a lot of words...
    Are you changing your initial challenge of PICK A SINGLE KNIFE TO USE FOR EVERYTHING FOR 30 DAYS?

It doesn't matter whether it's an old favorite, a new knife, or one that never quite did it for you... the challenge specified one knife for everything; not one knife to be used during normal business hours, or until you need to use a different one.

cbach8tw likes this.
  8. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    First of the month is good, allows people to pick up something. I am sort of in the middle of mine, I have been using my AG Russell Cowboy since I got back from vacation near the end of July, so I started the thread after using it for awhile. As I mentioned in another post, mine is starting to be what one I use more predominantly of the two I have in my pocket.....so I am guilty already of cheating..So I have learned that two is one rule is more valid than I thought before. I will get a few pics in here sometime. Thanks.

9. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    So true....so true....you are right...even I have trouble to just one...but I am trying....and yes it could be modified, I will modify the title. It is more about discovery and learning than stating it can only be one....and if I did stay true to the rule I would definitely be learning a few limitations, and that others have different EDC uses. It is only meant to get people to try to use something different, and try to stick to the overall theme....as best can be done....as mentioned before, I did not want this to be overthought or grow into whether not we strictly followed the rules, but more about what did we learn and enjoy in the process. I just want to enjoy people's input and experiences. It is up to the individual if one feels they want to try or not participate. You are correct I will modify it. Thanks for your input, appreciated.

PS - I did edit the title. And I do use a lot of words...I have never been accused of of not saying enough.....just accused of not really having anything important to add. :D

ktataragasi likes this.
  10. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0409.JPG

Finally got a pic, the AG Russell Cowboy is the knife I am predominantly using, and the small Tony Mont Skinnner, with maybe a 1.5 inch blade.....my cheating knife, because it is so thin and slips in my pocket nice and easily. Reminds me of a country song..."Your cheating heart.....will tell on you!" A cowboy and a pretty thin thing.
    I read some Louis La'Mour short stories over vacation.

JerseyFresh85 and ktataragasi like this.
  11. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Another thing I learned, the Cowboy has a thin edge and a very small dent in the edge, not really a chip, can this be sharpened out? It bothers me that when slicing and it hits that spot.

ktataragasi likes this.
  12. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    EDC for a knife = backup self defense to me. And I will never, ever be caught alive with only one knife.

cbach8tw likes this.
  13. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    I don't like to experiment much with my work knife (no, I don't NEED a knife at work; but I periodically find myself needing to cut things... and who's got time to wander around looking for scissors?). It needs to be lightweight, smooth textured, quiet, and have a clip. At least 90% of the time, it's my cf Spider Monkey... and I almost never carry it outside of work.

cbach8tw likes this.
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Predominantly now. :D I have met the challenge already and will continue to meet it.

AntDog, BD_01, cbach8tw and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rostovsky

Rostovsky

Apr 12, 2015
    I use it. Last month with me Opinel No. 6

cbach8tw likes this.
  16. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    You are correct. I was looking at things like the last 30 day challenge I did.

One knife for a month is not going to happen at my house. I am willing carry something different as my EDC though.

17. SteelPanther

SteelPanther

Nov 9, 2019
    I picked up a Gerber asada today....the cheapo one crappy steel aluminum scales far from my normal carry....years ago I had a Gerber flat iron and enjoyed that knife....so I will carry this asada for a month and report the good, bad and ugly. out the gate this thing is stiff, action and lock everything is stiff....its a flipper I do not like flippers but its on ball bearings and after oiling etc its already loosened up the action and lock are tolerable....and surprisingly its sharp and the centering is perfect. now I usually carry $100-$300 spydercos in fancy steels so we'll see if I can tolerate a $30 Gerber in what I'd consider junk steel for 30 days. good thread this'll be entertaining

18. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    That's how I have done mine so far. I actually decided over a month ago to do this with my knife collection. I'm going to carry and use one knife a month and not purchase another knife until I make it through. I'm on my second knife now. Doing this has already saved me from future spending....

GatorMedic and sabre cat like this.
  19. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Not purchase another knife until I have used all my knives at one month each? Dude, if I did something like that I would never get another knife!
    And, I don't have a big collection. The problem is that I would have to count scalpel blades as knives and I have a bunch of those.

AntDog and ktataragasi like this.
  20. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    I don't have a particularly large knife collection either so it won't really take that long. But in your case you could carry a scalpel for one month.

I'm doing this because I tend to just buy what I like the look of. I'm not really a collector and want to use anything I have and don't want to continue buying things I'm not going to use. I love the looks of traditionals but I already know now I wouldn't really reach for one over my moderns so I need to stop buying traditionals.

GatorMedic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.