1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Preferred deployment method

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Justin Schmidt, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Depends, but flippers and ball bearings have definitely lost alot of their appeal to me. There are still many knives with them I love and in truth it is more bbs than the flipper. I just have started to feel bbs are fine for knives where the main purpose is a silky action but for an objective user knife they are not as practical as ph or teflon washers. BB pivots seem less resistant to gunk.

My fav openers,

Wave: obviously thumb stud, disk or hole is needed in conjunction but the wave is still the coolest method I know despite not being practical in most cases.

Front flipper: as they appear on the feist or shamwari. I don’t like front flippers that have a tab sticking out like the higonokami. (Which I do like on a friction folder) I also don’t like when front flipper knives have methods other than front flipper for opening such as a thumb hole or regular flipper. The front flipper is objectively not the best way to open a knife so if those other options are available there is no point in front flipping.

So this Krudo knife with 4 ways of opening is pretty much my worst nightmare. (Front flipper, back flipper, thumb plate which can also be waved open)
    [​IMG]

The strength of the front flipper is that it can make an extremely minimalist sleek sexy knife design.

Studs, holes, disks: these are my favourite from a practicality standpoint.

2. NateHodge

NateHodge Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Deployment method doesnt matter to me as long as it can be deployed with one hand. I can adapt to whatever method the knife is designed around. Ergonomics, grip, and performance are what is important to me.

Brawny and Justin Schmidt like this.
  3. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I prefer a hole , but on one side only ! :rolleyes:

4. 416isToronto

416isToronto Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Thumb stud/s followed by holes...never really liked flippers.

Sharp & Fiery and Justin Schmidt like this.
  5. KVT

KVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Flippers, of course.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  6. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I don’t “deploy” my knives, I take them out and, if necessary, open them. Whatever it takes.

7. Silent H

Silent H

Feb 1, 2018
    Flippers are my favorite, followed by opening holes, and then studs and thumb disks are tied for third. I also like being able to open my axis locks by wrist flicking them open.

8. yamsi12

yamsi12 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Flipper.

Dr.Lou and Justin Schmidt like this.
  9. nwmetalbug

nwmetalbug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Flippers and thumbstuds depends on the knife. Dont like holes or disks for the most part.

10. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Tough question. I have a fair number of flippers. Maybe 3 thumb studs. A spyderhole. And then some autos. I enjoy them all in their own ways. Spyder flick is fun as hell though.

And hate to state the obvious, but the flipper fad is getting close to 20 years now. That's quite the long winded fad eh.

Lapedog and Justin Schmidt like this.
  11. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I like the round hole, but I mostly prefer a two handed pinch. I usually carry a folder in a horizontal belt sheath, so I like knives that don’t have stuff sticking out of them when closed.

12. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    The flipper is by far my favorite - second would be the hole, and a distant third is the thumb stud.

13. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Front flip...top flip...studs...holes...reg flipper...inline flip...disc. In that order. The "wave" is not an option for me.
    I agree with @Lapedog front flipper cant have a tab sticking up past handle.

14. NapalmCheese

NapalmCheese

Aug 24, 2006
    Hole or flipper, I like them both about equally, so; (hole | flipper) > thumb disk > nail nick > thumb stud > wave.

15. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
  16. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Wave with a thumb disk.
    Hole. Spydie or not.
    Studs. Both sides.
    Flipper. They are too easy to get wrong.
    Frontflipper. Sleek, but not really the best option.
    Nailnicks. I don't keep nails at all.

Lapedog likes this.
  17. Brawny

Brawny

Aug 6, 2018
    I'm just glad i don't have to break a nail everytime I opened a knife like i did as a kid.

Justin Schmidt and Lapedog like this.
  18. augustus88

augustus88

Oct 13, 2006
    Flipper, hole and thumb stud all work equally well. Flippers are the most fun for me with the exception of front flippers. I have a fused joint in my right thumb and front flippers just don’t work for me at all. Absolutely hate the look of thumb discs, so those are out completely as well.

19. augustus88

augustus88

Oct 13, 2006
    All the “cool kids” suddenly dislike flippers and say they’re a fad. Same for over built thick blades they claim to have never owned (and sold off). Their preference has always been “slicey” blades. Copper scales make a knife simply “pocket jewelry” and cleaver bladed folders are all “art knives” with no practical use.

OD Green G-10 or Micarta was always the first to sell out when most tactical/modern knives were black. Now OD Green is the last to sell.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  20. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Agreed. Maybe a bit less gentle for me as I generally carry CM style.

Justin Schmidt and Lapedog like this.