Primary/Secondary EDCs

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dave Dallam, Oct 5, 2020.

1. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I keep a Vic Super Tinker in my medicine bag, then a modern folder clipped to my pocket.

I started carrying the SAK about four years ago when I started on the insulin pump, as the flathead was handy for changing out the cartridge. I no longer use the pump. After being off of it for 8 months while in the hospital in 2018/19, I never went back. But the Vic is nice to having. Mostly use the scissors and flathead/bottle opener, occasionally the Philips head.

The Super Tinker is beat to hell, but it's a great knife and the closest I could find to the Wenger Nomad I had. Still bummed I lost that after 32 years. It was my first knife.

guy g, Grateful and skyhorse like this.
  2. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I've gotten back to carrying a second knife lately, which is a Pioneer to have a couple extra tools or as a backup/loaner. My primary is usually a locking knife, lately being a large left handed Sebenza or Spider Monkey.

guy g likes this.
  3. Sos24

Sos24 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2018
    I almost always carry at least two knives, but would’t really classify them as primary and secondary, because they serve different purposes.

I always have a Swiss Army knife on me because it is a nice knife plus has other tools that make it even more useful. This is usually a Yeoman or Mountain Yeoman (mod).

Usually I carry a modern one-hand opening folder as a dedicated blade for many knife tasks. This is most often the Shirogorov Neon R20, because it is just the best feeling knife

In addition to these two, I will sometimes carry a traditional knife just for those times a a smaller less threatening knife might be wanted.

guy g likes this.
  4. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Some days my secondary ends up being the primary by the end of the day. Nothing sexy about the Victorinox Farmer but it sure comes in handy.
    [​IMG]

Lee D, Mainerd, JerseyFresh85 and 5 others like this.
  5. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006

I bet you have a few stories to tell......sounds interesting about the places you have been on the charter yacht. As exciting as those places are, I be there was a lot of time in the marina or wharf doing needed repairs.

guy g likes this.
  6. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0437.JPG I have always liked the the idea of a two knife combo, usually a small fixed blade with a 2.5 to 3.5 blade and a folder. But the pocket knife usually gets more use, like a SA Pioneer for the tools. One of the things I am still testing is how I like to carry such a combo, or to horizontal carry the small fixed blade. I have a KSF pocket sheath I switch out occasionally. Dave Ferry's sheaths....and knives of course.....have been on my wish list. Lately, it has been my AG Russell Cowboy, but I just got two nice small Bokers from a box passaround that could wind up being my second.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    JerseyFresh85, guy g and skyhorse like this.
  7. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Primary is usually a medium sized folder, like a Recon 1, Manix 2, or Voyager XL. Folders are just so damn convenient for everyday city cruising.

Secondary is usually a smaller, cheaper, or fixed knife. I often have the Izula, Para 3, or Rajah 3 as a backup.

guy g likes this.
  8. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    2 folders, modern more often than not and a fixed blade is my everyday thing! In and around the city I prefer a small fixed blade paired with larger folders. The small fixed typically won't send the masses running away "Crying Wolf"!! Away from the urban sprawl, the fixed blades get bigger!! 1st picture is today's edc for NYC! 2nd picture, previous post while up in the woods! IMG_20200629_054703.jpg IMG_20200501_044832.jpg

JerseyFresh85 and guy g like this.
  9. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    I most often carry two knives when one of them is large and/or not especially people-friendly; the second is something smaller (usually in the watch pocket of my jeans).

I don't have a go-to EDC knife since I rotate them regularly, but the secondary is often my cheerful blue SAK Cadet. As an example of a knife I'd usually back up with a small secondary, the Emerson Super Commander fits the bill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JerseyFresh85, guy g, Therom and 4 others like this.
  10. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    As I've said & shown numerous times in this forum (General Knife), I typically carry 3 knives when I'm not at work. A modern folder, a traditional, and a fixed blade. Which is primary vs secondary vs other? No idea. Depends (to some extent) on which ones I have, what needs cutting, who's around, and the mood I'm in.

Lee D, guy g, jfk1110 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stairway

Stairway

Apr 16, 2020
    ~3” folder most days. However, if I have need to carry a large knife such as my Shiro F3 or lg. Sebenza (usually in a belt pouch), then I will carry a small folder like a Lil’ Native or a Curtiss Nano in the fifth/pocketwatch pocket.

Lee D, Mainerd and guy g like this.
  12. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Wut wut wut?!? Blasphemy, says I! Alox SAK is plenty sexy! You take that back! :p:D:rolleyes:

My regular carry is a Vic Rambler, an alox SAK, and a one-hander (most days it's a Seb 21.) The SAKs see the most use, TBH. The one-hander is nice to have on occasion, but I carry one mostly out of habit nowadays. YMMV. :)

Lee D, guy g and skyhorse like this.
  13. Kabancheck

Kabancheck

Aug 11, 2018
    Two knives, lefty Sebenza 21 and SAK Climber. Climber mostly as a pocket friendly multitool and a knife in “sensitive” surrounding. Sebenza covers all other tasks. But I can’t split them on categories, they are both primary carry.
    Sometimes I carry secondary knife and this is one of my more tactical style folders like ZT300/630, XM-24, or one of my Striders

guy g likes this.
  14. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Primary: large CRK Sebbie or (recently) TRM Atom
    Secondary: 3.5" fixed blade, carried cross-draw.

Lee D and guy g like this.
  15. Heirphoto

Heirphoto Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2007
    I am retired but do wood or leatherwork or am in the garden or yard most days. Knives see light to no use most days but I still typically carry 2, a large and a small. Maybe an XM18 if any heavier work is anticipated along with a traditional or small CRK. On other days it is a large and a small CRK. Most days they are there for the fidget or admiration factor. In my shop a razor utilty knife is usually used and for food prep chefs knives are used as both are more suited to those specific tasks than a pocket folder

guy g likes this.
  16. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I carry my Sebenza everyday and my secondary knife is that same Sebenza, I do however keep my Nyala at work just in case.

guy g likes this.
  17. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    These are my main two.. the Sebenza to cut stuff and the Explorer for the other things I bump across in the day.
    Plus two others I rotate daily.. a small fixer and usually a traditional .
    338245E9-1D33-4E54-8399-9A78ECFE9129.jpeg

Lee D likes this.
  18. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    Here's my daily lineup. The Steel Warrior was Rockwell tested but I don't remember exactly what the number was. I'm pretty sure it was around 60, give or take 1. It is mainly for if someone wants to borrow a knife. :)

EDC Knives-1b.jpg

JerseyFresh85, guy g and jfk1110 like this.
  19. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    My primary is an Opinel No.6 and an Okapi Biltong. When I need a knife, I pull one of them out of my pocket at random. I can tell them apart by feel, but I only do that if I want a particular blade shape.

Secondary is an Alox Electrician, or a Farmer if I am going in the woods. If I think I will want a fixed blade, I can choose among sevaral which are pocketable.

guy g and Lee D like this.
  20. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I am on my septenary EDC. Seems like you guys are traveling light. image.jpeg

Lee D and guy g like this.