1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Production blades

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by tek77, Mar 28, 2015.

1. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    After almost 6 years on this forums (and a couple 100's blades later), here is what made the cut for me. I still have a few boxes of steel somewhere, but this ore out for a reason....and I learned one thing: there is no 'perfect' knife.

Customs aside, I enjoy using any of these.
    The small ones are great EDCs, the rest are with me when out in the woods.

No particular criteria in mind (just the joy of using a well made blade)

For those unfamiliar with model names (top to bottom)
    Swamp Rat Ratmadu
    GSO 4.1
    Fiddleback Bushfinger
    Bark River Bushcrafter
    Mora 510
    Busse BAD (Bone Active Duty - the thinner version of the Active Duty)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what made the cut for you?

We all enjoy pics, so post them if you got'em.

2. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I've gone through several different customs, looking for a deer knife that I liked to debone and field dress. I finally settled on a BRKT Gunny in A2. The only thing that would make it "perfect" for me is if they switched to thinner stock. :)

[​IMG]

3. awestib

awestib

Dec 29, 2008
    I agree, there is no perfect jack-of-all-trades knife IMO either. Here are my three favourites:

image.jpg

First one is DKnives CampMaster in Rosewood, the most comfortable handle ever. 1/8 1095 Scandi
    Second Andy Roy's masterpiece in zero convex 5/32 O1
    Third good old (new) Mora Companion in 1/8 thick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Rupestris

Rupestris Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Pardon the crappy pic. The sun is going down here.

Top to bottom:
    Michael Morris Peanut
    BRKT Woodland Special
    BRKT Bravo 1 (A2)
    Mora Miki
    Mora Companion
    Mora 780 Triflex Craftsman

[​IMG]

If I had to narrow it down it would be the Bravo 1, the Woodland and the 780.

Those three have kept me from buying a new fixed blade for quite a while.

5. skyhorse

skyhorse

Jan 30, 2010
    I agree.:thumbup: Thinner blade stock would be nice. I'm a big fan of BRKT A2

6. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    If I had to choose one production knife it would probably be the BR Bravo 1 LT:

[​IMG]

7. awestib

awestib

Dec 29, 2008
    I have been eyeballing the Bravo LT for a while now too.

8. tek77

Oct 9, 2009
    I agree on thinner stock even tho the grind on their blades makes thicker stock slice like a thin one.

Have you tried their UL Bushcrafter (hidden tang) or their current Ultralite bushcrafter? The blade is .09" thin...but not enough real estate on the grips compared to the gunny.

9. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    some production knives that get a lot of use here, include:
    Bark River Aurora
    Busse CABS, with custom Bocote wood scales
    ESEE 3 and 4, with TKC scales
    Randall #14
    Ontario RAT 7
    Spyderco BushcraftUK
    Spyderco Mule Team

most of what I have were made for me, but there will always be a place for a quality production knife.

10. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    For me there are only 2:
    - My "project" RAT-3. An Ontario D2 factory second (ground too thick). It was stripped, convexed and blued. That is my go to workhorse. Like that old pair of jeans or Big Bill that isn't a looker, but that you can count on.
    - My Fiddleback Ladyfinger. That would be more like a nice suit. I know I can count on it just as much, but keep it for the lighter work. More because it looks REALLY nice, not because it cannot take a beating.

11. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Esee 5. Gave one to son and missed it so much I bought another. I have a bunch of customs but the Esee is a workhorse that I enjoy using.

12. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I have a standard Bravo-1 in .220 CMP 3V, and love it.

[​IMG]

I recently made a trade for a Bravo-1 LT in 5/32 CPM 3V. and I really like it too, but I may still prefer the regular version. I've noted just how often you and I like the same model of knife, just slight differences in preference on thicknesses :)

[​IMG]

13. jonnyt16

jonnyt16

Jul 17, 2007
    My three favorite below. I'm not much of a bushcrafter so I prefer blades in the 6" range for general purpose/survival. I will always have one of these knives on my belt when out camping or hunting.

Fallkniven A1
    Esee 6
    Swamprat RMD (prototype version)

[​IMG]

Of all three, the Fallkniven is my favorite and sees the most use.

14. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Anyone have any experience with Cudeman knives of Spain ?

15. stewey1

stewey1

Nov 14, 2010
    I keep going back to Esee the most, my biggest use for knives outdoors is food prep and processing deer. The esee 6 and esee 3 are my favourites for this with an izula 2 in my pocket or around my neck for odd jobs. I have given quite a few away to people who enjoy the same past times as me both professionally and as a hobby and I have heard nothing but praise for Esee. I like to think I am responsible for spreading the addiction:) I recently received an LT Wright Genesis and I am very impressed with the knife and the service from LT Wright. We really are blessed in this day in age with so many amazing knives to be had and so little time on this earth.

16. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I've noticed that too. And I have noticed how you "forced" me to get a Yuma. But in a thinner version, of course. ;)

I really like how your micarta looks on the Bravo LT. Is it the nat can or something different?

17. 59Bassman

59Bassman

Jul 5, 2007
    Late getting here, but I'm also a huge fan of the Gunny. I've got one of the 3V Gunny Hunters, and it's what I reach for most often.

I went to a Grind-In last year and made an Aurora and a Bushcrafter, both also in 3V. I really thought the Aurora was going to be "it" for me, but it turns out that I keep going back to that Gunny. I'm headed back up there in another month and think I'll try a Bravo LT if they've got the blanks, and another Gunny hunter - this time a "dress" version with bamboo scales and mosaic pins.

18. mec003

mec003 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Becker bk16 & Mora companion for certain. Just ordered a survive! Gso 4.1 and hope it makes the cut as well.

19. mec003

mec003 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I don't know how much longer I can resist the urge to get a bravo...

20. tek77

Oct 9, 2009
    When you decide to get one, I suggest you get the ramp less version.
    Definitely worth trying one out.