Puukko Pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by t.sous11, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Both nice knives. I really like the older Marttiini. That looks like their older Lynx model.
    Rich

scrteened porch likes this.
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Get a Lauri blade. They provide the blades for some more expensive brands, so I've heard, but they're inexpensive enough that you won't kick yourself if it turns out like this.
    [​IMG]

3. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    Yeah it looks like the Ilves, but its not marked Ilves that I can see. Its marked Made in Finland near the bolster, J Marttiini Rovaniemi in the fuller and the word (vuolu maybe?)puukko in script on the blade.
    [​IMG]

Bloefield likes this.
  4. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Jer

that's a nice looking puukko you made. I'd be proud to carry/use it anytime.
    Rich

5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Shucks. Thanks.

6. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Here's an unusual one. I guess a soldier mod?

[​IMG]

I suspect it originally looked like this:

[​IMG]

Rich

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  7. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Rich S, since the sheath says "Norge 1945" probably a German soldier's acquisition, who had been stationed in North Finland, where he could have gotten the puukko in Rovaniemi. John

Rich S likes this.
  8. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    John

When I got this several years ago, the seller said it had belonged to a German soldier. I always take seller's comments with a grain of salt. Maybe he was correct.
    Rich

9. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    While we are on the subject of unusual - here is an akryylipuukko made in Seinäjoki, Finland by Jaska Nukari. 7" overall with a 3" 80CrV2 blade and acrylic handle.

[​IMG]

10. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Arathol

Not usually my favorite handle material, very modernistic and very well executed, but I like it. Beautiful.

One I'd like to get is the Ahti Juhla; very Tommi-ish, but a lot less expensive. Maybe if I ever get our "economic stimulus" check I'll stimulate the late Ragnar's site (or who ever is running it now).
    Rich

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  11. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Nice old Fiskers; not the usual puukko shaped blade. Maybe a skinning blade?

[​IMG]

I.D. from Ristinen's book. Oldest puukko I have that can be dated with some certainty.

Rich

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Rich.s,how do these old style rhombic puukkos perform for other tasks beside wood cutting,and do you put micro edge on them ?

13. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Lone star

I've used and carried a 4" puukko for years. Long haul backpacking with 35# backpack the Appalachian trail for 2-3 weeks at a time. Puukko does everything you could ask of a good knife. I hone mine to a full Scandi edge, then draw back on fine (1000 grit) emory once each direction (away from the edge obviously) to put a micro bevel on the edge. Holds an edge better that in IMHO. I'm not a wood carver. I am an outdoor hiker/backpacker. My puukko have always done everything I need doing (cutting small branches for fire wood, tent pegs, etc.). I think they are the best designed knife on the planet. Note: they don't normally have a cross guard, so don't plan on stabbing cans, trees, etc. I carry a SAK Tinker to open cans, bottles,etc. for the small tasks.
    Rich

Edit: If you need something for chopping, I'd suggest adding a hand axe or better (IMHO) a 8" leuku. the Nordic peoples of Finland, Norway, Sweden have lived or died for hundreds of years by using their knives.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  14. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
  15. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Mark

Now you need to make a hanger for your puukko. Is that a Martiinni Lynx model?

Rich

16. Blake the Blade

Blake the Blade

Mar 28, 2015
    I don't think so Rich, but I can't say for sure. Can you give me a pic of a suitable hanger and I will make one. Thanks.

17. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Mark

Sorry I don't have any pictures that show clearly a hanger. Try looking at sites like Ragweed or Thompsons; basically a loop attached near the top of the sheath to hang on belt. I you plan on putting it in a pack, etc. it's not needed.
    Rich

18. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Somebody post a puukko please! Don't let this thread die - puukko are cool.
    Rick

TPVT and RayseM like this.
  19. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Waiting on a new one. Can't just keep posting the same old 2 :( :)

I agree - keep this thread going. Puukko are Cool! :cool:

TPVT and Rich S like this.
  20. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    i got one coming! hope to have it soon. i will certainly post it when received.