Quality Control

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Vincent Price, May 7, 2020.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Feb 28, 2020
    Relatively new maker here.

Primarily been working with 1075 and quenching in Canola oil. I chose this steel because of its perceived forgiveness in the heat treat process. I of course have a bucket started of blades I've abandoned for one reason or another. I am going to put a few of these in a vise and bend/break them to see what they can take and also look at grain structure. What should I expect from them if I have heat treated them properly in a bend test and what should the grain structure look like? To date I have only sold two knives to customers but I have 5 more orders now off of those two knives. I just want to make sure I sending out the best possible product that I am capable of producing.

2. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    If you can find an old file and break it then that's what the grain should look like; homogenous and creamy, not grainy.

[​IMG]

Ken H>, deepobs, Mr.Wizard and 2 others like this.
  3. Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Feb 28, 2020
    Thanks. I will try this on a blade or two this weekend and post the results. If I can figure out how to post pictures this time that is.

4. Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Feb 28, 2020

5. Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Feb 28, 2020
    Here are the pictures of the test break I did. Not sure what to think. "[​IMG]" https://imgur.com/gallery/2xkQ2u5 if these pictures dont work then I give up trying to post pictures to this site and quit.

6. imill3567

imill3567

Aug 5, 2014
    I’m not a veteran maker but to me that looks a little coarse. It’s hard to tell 100% in photos but you want to see a silky grey color.

weo and Josh Rider like this.
  7. Josh Rider

Josh Rider Stuff maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Agreed :thumbsup:
    Good for you to break the steel to observe the size of the grain.
    I had similar issues with 1075 from NJSB.
    I had to soak at 1650° for at least 20 mins to normalize, then thermal cycle at descending temps to grain refine to get results I was happy with. The upside is, Aldo’s steel seems to have very good hamon results, downside is it’s tough to achieve the desired results without a kiln or very controlled heat treating.

8. Hubert S.

Hubert S.

Dec 14, 2019
    Don't give up so quickly. On imgur, just right-click on the picture and select "Copy image address". Then, paste that into the pop-up where it says "Image URL". If you cannot see the image in the editor, it will not post correctly.

[​IMG]

9. Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Feb 28, 2020
    Thanks. I do most everything from my phone which may be my problem.

10. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    :thumbsup:

Probably, I hate surfing the forums on my phone....