Quality EDC Torch

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Bradw3451, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Bradw3451

Bradw3451

Nov 13, 2014
    Hey everyone, needing some help as I’m uneducated on this particular subject. For the last year or so I have carried a Klarus Mi7 Ti Mini-Might Titanium Flashlight. It was a great light in that it was small, max of 700 Lumens, Ti, but I absolutely hated the power switch as it would regularly turn on in my pocket. More than once it seemed as though my shorts were going to catch fire!!

Anyways, sold that light and need a replacement. I’m a bit once cry once kind of guy, but at the same time not willing to drop $500+ on a torch. Looking for something that easily clips onto your pocket, at least 500 lumens when on high and preferably titanium, is mother light weight material. My budget is $200 or less.

What do you recommend?

2. Random Dan

Random Dan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2012
    There are so many options out there. Do you have a preference for battery type? Beam profile? Number of modes?

If you want titanium then an eagletac D3C or D3A is a solid option. Also check out the olight baton series.

3. Bradw3451

Bradw3451

Nov 13, 2014
    Like I said, the Klarus was for sale on this forum a while back. Other than full size light and weapon mounted light, I’ve never owned another one. Have no idea where to start or what to look for. Might as well be speaking Japanese to me.

4. willrise

willrise Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I just picked up a
    ReyLight Copper AAA/10440 Kit + Battery + Smart Charger have EDC ot for a week. Not a big light guy but so far pretty great little light.

5. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    Olight baton II is a cool quality light that's popular if you don't mind chinese made. Its a side push button, not a tail cap, if that matters. 1150 lumens with a very nice wide beam and multiple modes, comes with a custom 18650 and a magnetic USB charging system which is real handy.

For general every day work carry I use a $25 Lumentop Tool AA which is another popular light, its AA, small and super easy to carry. If you get their rechargeable AA with the light it pushed 650 lumens on turbo, with a low/med/high/strobe as well. The battery must be removed to be charged and can be done so with USB or an external charger.

And there's so many others. A lot of people really like Emisar because they're outrageously customizable as far as components and look, I don't have one yet though.

All depends what you want. I like to have a cheap bright small light to carry at work, a slightly brighter and tougher light to carry when going out at night thats easy to activate fast and has strobe, and finally a bigger and brighter light with a lot of modes to use for hiking/camping etc.

I would check out options from Olight, streamlight, Lumentop, and Surefire and see what options suit you for size/brightness/modes. Theres just so many damn options.

Troutzill likes this.
  6. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I carry a Fenix PD25. I think it has a good combination of features, not overly expensive, works well.

7. rdrogers

rdrogers Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Mine arrived today. Pretty cool light, and bright for its size. Ordered some extra batteries from the river.

willrise likes this.
  8. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    I've been carrying the Eagltac Ti Clicky for awhile now (through 2 generations). They have a CR123 version, but I don't carry that anymore, as I liked the AA form factor, and the ability to use AA if my 14500 Li rechargeable runs out if I'm unable to charge it.

Pomsbz and Bradw3451 like this.
  9. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I have multiple Olight flashlights. As pointed out earlier, they are made in china, but I have been very happy with their quality and reliability. On average, I use one of them several minutes a day for the year.

However, they have been doing these flash sales and their products sell out in a few minutes, with their website crashing at the same time. This has somewhat turned me off on them.

10. Venice

Venice Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Sounds like you don't want anything too complicated. I would suggest a Jetbeam RRT-01. Nothing easier to master than a rotary. Just turn the ring until you get the light that you need. The 2019 version comes with a USB rechargeable lithium ioin battery. To that kind of output, you are probably going to need lithium ion batteries.
    The other option is to get one that has been modded.
    Jetbeam:
    [​IMG]
    Sunwayman Vr10 Ti+ modded (titanium). Ti is not readily available but I think you can get an aluminum version. These are clicky on/off but output set via the rotary ring.
    [​IMG]

11. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Eagletac D25A Clicky for me. The newer version has some very respectable specs indeed.

12. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    My suggestion meets none of your requirements. However. I've liked it enough to shelve all of my other lights.

Check out the

NITECORE TUP.

13. MVF

MVF Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2005
    I've also been shopping for a new light. This might be too big, but I think it's definitely worth looking at. The Thrunite TC15 has 5 modes (don't worry, the user interface is easy) plus strobe - 1 lumen "firefly mode"/25/250/1100/2300 Turbo! You can only run Turbo for a couple of minutes before a thermal protection circuit will shut it down (and the light will be getting hot!), but these seem like some pretty useful modes. It gets great reviews, has a side switch - that you can "lock-out" to avoid accidental activation - and I saved the best for last - it's rechargeable with a micro-USB cord! Oh, and I really did save the best for last - it's only $56!