1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Queen Cutlery Company Closes

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by mrknife, Jan 10, 2018.

1. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I will be curious to see what they do but definitely gives promise and hope for some more options in the traditional knife market.

2. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Great news !

3. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Exciting news!

,,,Mike in Canada

4. 3-1-1

3-1-1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Where did you hear this?

5. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Who are Bluegrass?

6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Quality knives made in the USA, they say. Winchester and John Primble.

Prester John likes this.
  7. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    IIRC Bluegrass made many of the nicer Winchester, or was it Remmington, knives though I think I had heard they also contracted out some of those to places like Queen so my knowledge is a bit fuzzy I am sure someone else knows more.

8. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Poking around online a little it sounds like in the past they have been just a retailer/wholesaler.

They bought the machines, but do they have people that know how to use them to make knives?

Pomsbz and Cutfinger like this.
  9. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    That is GREAT news indeed !! :thumbsup: This is the best scenario I could wish for with the Queen name. :cool:
    Thanks for making my day!!! :D;):)

Dave

blademan 13 likes this.
  10. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Can't do much worse.

Pomsbz, tallowwaters and willard0341 like this.
  11. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I've been told in the past that Bluegrass Cutlery used Queen as their contractor, but I don't know jack :)

12. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    In another forum Gil Cooper, a representative of Bluegrass, gave a lot more details to the story. He is the one spearheading the project for Bluegrass to take on the S&M name. In the past, Bluegrass had a small section of knife assembly, but the bulk of their knives were contracted out (to places like Queen). Now they will do all operations in house, for S&M, Winchester, Primble, and possible others. No mention yet of the Queen Cutlery name being used. He is eager to keep a historic US cutlery company operating in the US. At a knife show in Kentucky recently, a man I spoke with said that the old master cutler from Queen may be providing some assistance to get the machines running correctly.

13. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Whish them good luck and hope they'll be easier to get than reborn Canal Street. :)

14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm hoping this will be a positive venture for all of us, manufacturer and consumer alike. :cool::thumbsup:

knowtracks and Rookie82 like this.
  15. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    This is great news, love to see more options in the traditional market!

Jathes and knowtracks like this.
  16. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I love Bluegrass Cutlery knives and so excited to think of them making their own

Cambertree, Cutfinger and knowtracks like this.
  17. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Titusville is a sad place. A great past and no future in sight.

jmh33 likes this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Not a fan of Great Eastern Cutlery?

mitch4ging likes this.
  19. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    I am very happy to hear that a reborned Schatt & Morgan made here in the USA is going to happen. Good news.

20. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I don't know, GEC seems to be doing alright.

Glad to hear that there is a potential new manufacturer in the works. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with in the not-so-distant future.