Question about a Harig 6 x 12 surface grinder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Josh Rider, May 5, 2016.

1. Josh Rider

Josh Rider Stuff maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    I came across a harig 6 x 12 surface grinder for sale near me.
    I've been working on folders for a couple months (with little success). I've found that there's not a huge selection of pg steel. I'd also just like to have one for the future to make tapering tangs easier (it's set up for a belt conversion ), cleaning up flats etc.

This harig is 3 phase. The guy that owns it has 3 phase power. I don't, but I have a teco vfd for my grinder and my disc grinder coming from 220.

Would I be able to power this surface grinder?

Thanks for any help

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Pittknife

Pittknife

Oct 1, 2013
    yeah you can power it through the vfd.

I just put a rotary phase converter on mine though.

3. Drew Riley

Drew Riley Riley Knife and Tool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    Presuming the VFD is rated for AT LEAST the size of the motor on the harig, you'll likely be fine.

4. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Awesome! Thanks guys. Small world, turns out the guy selling it is a knifemaker on bladeforums.

5. Ekim1428

Ekim1428

Nov 14, 2013
    I have a harig 6-12 they are solid machines but make sure you check that the oil pump is working. A known issue for this machine. Mine was fried and it is very expensive to replace. I also run mine on a vfd without issue.

6. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks for the heads up. It's been sitting in storage for a while. Should the oil be changed before powering up?

7. Ekim1428

Ekim1428

Nov 14, 2013
    Yes I would change it while you have it up on the lift or hoist. It takes harig's specific oil for it to be able to pump all the way up the column. It too is expensive but I have heard of guys using a thinned out version of vactra. I forget the number off hand. I've tried other pumps but it is an odd high pressure low volume pump that is tough to find after market. One more thing to add is bring an indicator and check the spindle runout. Blown spindle bearings or a bad spindle and I'd say look for another machine they are absurdly expensive lol.

8. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Uh oh, I don't know how to do that. I was hoping to learn how to use it after I bought it like I did with my mill and grinders.

9. deker

deker

Nov 14, 2005
    Check it the same way you'd check runout on the spindle of your mill. Put a dial indicator on a mag base and set it touching the spindle. Zero it and then slowly rotate the spindle to see how much runout +/- 0 there is. Look here for a quick example.

10. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks deker