Question about my missing Folder Knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DieselRex, Feb 25, 2021.

1. DieselRex

DieselRex

Aug 25, 2018
    hello, i am not sure if this is the correct place to post this. but recently my barry wood folder knife was taken by police and "misplaced" in evidence and aparently forever gone. well my question is, why does my knife have a dime embedded in where normally a silver button would just be. i am wondering why because i am filing a claim against the city and i need an accurate value of the knife

the number engraved on the knife is #585[​IMG]

loon#r likes this.
  2. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    No clue on the coin, but maybe get in touch with custom knife maker Mike Irie at -

1606 Auburn Drive
    Colorado Springs, CO
    719-572-5330
    MikeIrie @ Aol .Com

He was Barry Wood's son in law, and worked with him for decades, he might be the best person to ask.

--------------------------------------

Also @barcbsa is a major collector of Mr. Wood's work, perhaps he'll see this post.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    loon#r, WValtakis and Twindog like this.
  3. ElementalBreakdown

ElementalBreakdown Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2020
    Arizona Custom Knife sees a lot of used inventory come and go every year and they are pretty approachable, also for comparables you can do a sold items search at the auction site- some of those knives are upwards of 2K according to sold items. Maybe just handing the chief a printout of the sold items from the 'Bay and a respectful and sincere request for help might convince someone that might have "misplaced" it to reconsider something that would be out of reach of small claims court.
    Good luck.

4. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that your first post is about having your knife taken. I lost a Buck 112 the same way in Bastrop, Texas many years ago. They were holding the jail door open, so I left without argument.

5. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    I have pretty much the same thing happening to me... My knife (Spyderco Delica Wave) was taken and after a fine was paid I was supposed to get it back (as it is a legal item to own, but not to carry in the circumstances it was taken). Somehow they couldn't find it. I was about to file a claim, it showed up. I suspected it was taken by "someone" but the truth is that they had such a bad evidence items control system that they really couldn't finde it. Once a new boss arrived at that police station and asked the evidence room to be cleaned and all items destroyed... it showed up.

Best of luck finding your knife as it certainly seems much more expensive than mine.

Mikel

6. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I just searched Barry. Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck with your claim.

7. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Hmmm not the Barry Wood I first thought.

8. ddrew5000

ddrew5000

Feb 18, 2017
    That's a sweet knife! Sorry to hear about your loss
    Guaranteed that's riding around in the pocket of one of the people at the station.
    I've worked places where we had lost and found items that we really wanted, we'd wait a couple months and if it wasn't claimed by then whoever had first dibs on it got it.

9. barcbsa

barcbsa Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Several people modified/customized Barry’s knives back in the 70’s. The one you had is an example.
    Looks like you had a Mk.1. Without the coin it would be approximately $250-300 in mint condition. Used would be less, depending on condition.
    I’ve got a few of Barry’s knives (140 to be exact)

WValtakis likes this.
  10. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I know of someone that had their knife “lost” in the evidence room.

I know of another person that had his house burglarized. His rifle and shotgun came up missing. Witnesses testified that the criminals had both guns. Yet, the police denied it. How convenient.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  11. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    The fourth amendment states that you cannot be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of the law. When my knife came up missing, I kept my mouth shut or else I might have gotten some due process.

onekerf likes this.