question for watch guys

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Vermont woodsman, May 23, 2005.

1. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    Quartz watches are really very simple, even the electronics. They dont tick, they bonk.

2. SIFU1A

SIFU1A

May 12, 2001
    nope he wears it because its a rolex, now that he has 1 they rule, mom has nothing to do with it.

3. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    Theres a lot of magical stuff about a mechanical watch. I have a Rolex Datejust. It's a thing of wondrous beauty and function.

I also recently acquired a Seiko diver. It's a great watch and its fit and finish rival the Rolex for about 1/20 the price. I am fairly certain that it is, for practical purposes, as rugged as the Rolex (but will it be "generationally" rugged to pass down, I don't think so. In fact, I have come to understand that older Seiko movements are not repaired or reparable, just replaced.).

But this discussion is like Opinels and Moras vs. Sebenzas (or Busses or any other custom or near-custom production knife). Unless you confine your collecting and using activity to the former, criticizing the owners of Rolexes (and Omegas, J-LCs, etc) is hypocritical.

4. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    Whew I didn't realize folks were so polarized about quartz vs. auto.

I personally own both types, but probably wear the autos more often. I don't think that spending more than $1000 on a watch is a status thing, that is a huge generalization that is simply not true in most cases. Sure I see folks that sport gaudy gold or platinum monstrosities with diamonds galore, but that is the exception.

Most every quartz watch I have owned has died after a number of years, and the only way to repair it was to replace the entire module, assuming that a replacement module could be found, which after 5 or 10 years becomes difficult to impossible.

For me, an automatic or mechancial watch represents a little piece of machinery that will last at least my lifetime - I almost get sick thinking about how many electronic items I have thrown in the garbage within a few years of spending my hard-earned money on them. The auto/mech watch is the antithesis of that throw-away mentality, and that is why I wear and enjoy them.

And whoever made the comment about a Corvette not handling as well as a Porsche - I currently drive a Z06 Corvette - it will handily spank a 911 on a road course or the dragstrip, I know because I have personally done so. It will even give the 911 Turbo a run for its money. The latest Z06 coming out this year is going to embarass many an Italian or German exotic. Would I get another Porsche? Hell yes, they're great cars for what they are, but that doesn't meant they are the best.

5. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    SIFU1A,

Of course I don't this guy, but from what you have shared, he sounds very shallow.

MarkPinTx,
    Well, I'm listening to my Swatch right now and it is definitely ticking.
    There is'nt any kind of "bonk" sound.

DB1,
    Hey if you prefer autos, there's nothing wrong with that.
    But I'm curious, which quartz watches did you have that died, and after how many years?
    I have two cheapie Swatch watches that are still going strong (with periodic battery replacements) for over 14 years now.

Allen.

6. SIFU1A

SIFU1A

May 12, 2001

i'll tell him ya said so am sure he would care lol. i've called him lots worse than "shallow".......he's an area engineer for the tx hwy dept FWIW.

still i have known several folks who said "rolex sucks" etc and then when they have an op to get one they buy it, and love them, they should say "rolex's suck cuz i dont have one/cant afford one" would be more truthfull, they dont suck believe me, if they did there are lots of high dollar watches to buy instead and they sell all they make, at a premium if i may say so.

7. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    Jumping into the discussion a little late, but I've got something to add about Rolex.

Everything I have seen, felt, and heard about them leads me to believe that there is much more out there for the price. The few that I have handled had poor bracelets and the finish work didn't seem any better than my Seiko. Many other people seem to have had the same experiences from what I have read over the web.

For what an entry level Rolex costs, you can get a very nice Omega, Oris, or IWC. in some cases, you could get two for the price of one Rolex. Plus, I have heard more good things about Omega, Oris, and IWC than I have ever heard about Rolex.

All I'm saying is, with all the fine watch brands out there, why buy a watch for it's name?