Randall Made Custom Knife questions?

Discussion in 'Blade Discussion Forum Archive' started by crowinghorse, Nov 21, 1999.

1. crowinghorse

crowinghorse

Sep 14, 1999
    I am going to buy a Randall Model 1 with a micarta handle (one of the few options I am sure of). I have a few questions.
    What is the best type of handle?
    I love Mad Dog's design and am leaning toward the single finger groove.

What type of steal? I am enlisted in the Marines and hope to be in Recon Bt. after School of Infantry (This means Scuba and swimming required) I already plan to use an Mad Dog ATAK and, it being O-1 and hard chromed, plan on having no problems. I do know how take care of a knife and Marine Tuff Cloth is a knife saver...but "stainless" is less worry...even if it is hard to sharpen...

Is a full micarta handle better or is it worth having a spacer and butt cap? I want added strength in the knife's handle and am leaning toward the silver knickel spacer and butt cap.

Thanks...
    Horse

[This message has been edited by crowinghorse (edited 21 November 1999).]

2. Dave P

Dave P

Nov 21, 1999
    If you like MD handles, go for the Border Patrol from Randall - same basic idea (I had SF groove on a #14, but changed it to BP, which is much more comfortable). A butt cap ensures a full length tang.
    Might want to look into their "Special Fighter" which is a lot like a #1, but with the full width (thicker, stronger) tang.
    Talk to a distributor for more info - most knives can be had within 3 months.

3. Dr.Lathe

Dr.Lathe

Aug 4, 1999
    I second the idea of the Border Patrol handle! It has more grip and better indexing than the standard handle and I think it sort of "flows" into the shape of the gaurd, (looks better).
    My #1 user has the stag handle. It has been used more than any other knife I own and is still in pretty good shape. The New one with the Border Patrol handle sees use only on my coffee table!!
    Neil

------------------
    Just updated 10/31!! New Knives, New Pics!!!
    http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Meeting/5520/index.html

4. GeneL74

GeneL74

Nov 16, 1999
    Horse:

Well from my personal experience I like the finger grooves on my model 14. Although the finger grooves definently limit the ways in wich you are able to hold the knife. You will just have to decide what will suit your situations best. Also I agree with Dave P, you might definently want to take a good close look at the non-catalog model #16 special fighter I believe. Anyhow I hope this helps.

------------------
    Man Who Fights With Woman All Day Gets No Peace At Night!

5. B. Miller

B. Miller

Aug 22, 1999
    The most popular shaped handle is their "standaed" shape. I've seen a few with the single finger groove, but not many. Spacers are a matter of choice, and at one time you were able to select your color of choice.
    I noticed you want the shinny butt cap. As we try to cut down on materials that cause glare, you might just want the plain end with wrist thong.
    As for blade steel I would opt fot stainless, as if you were sent to jungle conditions it is better for corrosion resistence. If you don't have their catalog, you need to get one. The Model 1 has so many options it can drive you nuts trying to select which one you want. I have Model 1's and 14's, and I haven"t ordered a Randall in years. I'm planning on ordering a Model 25 Trapper.

6. jc

jc

Oct 12, 1998
    Pic of my Special Fighter #1 (#16-7" SP#1) w/boarder patrol grip and nickel guard and my stock 14. I like the boarder patrol grip--just feels better than the finger grooved 14. The Special Fighter has a very lively feel about it--perfect balance while the 14 feels a tad heavy. Both are excellent!

http://homepages.msn.com/HobbyCt/hobbitfang/randalls.JPG

jc

7. crowinghorse

crowinghorse

Sep 14, 1999
    Thanks for the help. Which blade is better for use: the Model #1 or the Model #14? I, as you have suggested, have decided on the Border Patrol Grip, I origionally though BP Grip, but changed it (stupid me!) I have also decided on the Stainless steel blade and "no" butt cap or spacer...they look neat, but If I can get a full tang w/o them, all is well.
    Thanks again...
    Horse

8. B. Miller

B. Miller

Aug 22, 1999
    The Randall Model 14 is heavier then the Model 1. I guess its a matter of choice. Look on page 24, item "I" in the Randall Catalog. It shows the Model 14 with border patrol handle.

9. crowinghorse

crowinghorse

Sep 14, 1999
    I have decide to buy a SP#1 Speciall Fighter. I will have the blade made of stainless and am having a special "stainless, single" #1 shaped hilt put on it as well. I will have the Border Patrol Grip and am having the ferrule made of stainless also.

Horse

10. dogman

dogman

Jul 26, 1999
    Randall! Who said Randall?
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

11. crowinghorse

crowinghorse

Sep 14, 1999
    I have ALMOST decided to buy a Randall. My fiance (I just got engaged) is on me about "no more toy..that includes knives!" Man, what is a guy to do...I looked through the "What do you need another knife" and she didn't buy any of them! Who knows...I may be able to get one...sooner than she thinks.
    Horse

12. Donald

Donald

Jan 20, 1999
    Horse,
    Since you are interested in a Micarta handle I thought I would mention a beautiful one I saw at a knife (&gun) show in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I think it was on a Model #1, but I do not recall for sure. It had a nickel silver guard and butt cap.

I was told the handle was green micarta (or green-black?? ...memory fades, I'll have to look at a post of a few months ago where I mentioned this). In any event, instead of having the grain effect or plain look most micarta handles had this was stunning. The closest I could describe it would be a snakeskin appearance. You might inquire about this. I recall it had some white spots (scales [​IMG] ) so it might be too flashy for your application, but with a little dirt/use, perhaps it would be like camoflage-the handle, not the rest of this shiny knife. If I run across the card from that dealer, I can let you know, if you are interested.

If you find out anything in you knife selection about this micarta handle, or anyone else knows, I would be interested in the details. Thanks.

Don.

[As I mentioned in the other recent Randall thread I have 2 Model #3-6 pictured here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=91257&a=817804&p=12769801
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=91257&a=817804&p=13611652

Other non-Randall knives can be seen by clicking on the index button at the top of the picture.

13. crowinghorse

crowinghorse

Sep 14, 1999
    I am in the process of having a Randall Made Custom Knife made for me. It will be a gift from my fiance, even if she doesn't know it yet...
    I am purchasing the #16-7" SP#1 Special Fighter (A beefed up version of the Model #1) I am having a SINGLE silver nickel hilt and ferrule put in the handle, which will be a Border Patrol. Thanks to all who helped me make up my mind...
    jc-thanks for the pics...Mine will look just like your fighter with a single guard instead.
    Horse
    I am trying to find a person to make a custom jump qualified kydex sheath for it. Any ideas?

14. bruce

bruce

Dec 4, 1998
    crowinghorse, try a sheath from Scott Hendryx (208) 377-8044 Garden City, near Boise, Idaho. He makes very good jump qualified sheaths. He has small adds in "Tactical Knives."

Bruce Woodbury

15. 38super

38super

Nov 10, 1999
    I second the opinion on the Scott Hendryx sheaths, they're excellent and not huge and bulky.

------------------

16. eaglehi1

eaglehi1

Sep 15, 1999
    Did you say no more toys what is a man to do?

17. crowinghorse

crowinghorse

Sep 14, 1999
    I have no idea! She is happy as long as I can be out of debt by the time I am done with Boot. (Easter Weekend I will graduate from MCRD...with God's help and a lot of hard work...)
    Horse