Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Amen brother.

Mike157, woodysone, bluemax_1 and 3 others like this.
  2. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    What is the $75 charge for?

Odog27 likes this.
  3. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014

Odog27 and Nathan the Machinist like this.
  4. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I was hunting with a buddy in 2005 and we had borrowed his dad's english setter for the day. She needed a bit of field to calm down, so before we got into the good ground (peach orchard with quail galore) we elected to run her down the railroad tracks about a quarter mile, then hunt the bluffs above the tracks for pheasant on the way back. This was in the Snake River above Penawawa, WA, so the bluffs run right down to the river bank. The railroad grade is cut into the hillside along the river, and this leaves a series of cuts that end in a cliff above the railroad bed, ranging from 40 to about 100 ft high.

I elected to stay on the grade, and my buddy and dog cut up above to work the fields. I was suppose to catch any that ran down the gulleys to the river.

Instead the dog was casting out and running about 30 mph directly at a cliff. She ran right off that cliff, full speed, and went like a lawn dart about 80 feet (yes, I said 80). It was sickening to watch. It was long enough that I sincerely though, "I am going to watch this dog die!" it was a conscious thought.

She hit the stone grade and bounced, I kid you not, a full 8 feet in the air.

Tore her lip open, and se was bleeding like a faucet was turned on.

We got her back to the truck and we were both completely covered in her blood. I managed to first aid her to a point where the bleeding stopped. We got her back to town and I'll be damned if she didn't drop down from the truck and start hunting the shrubs around our parking spot where we met her dad. I though she was dead, for sure. She was a little sore and stiff the next day and hunted 3 days later.

I've seen some dogs take some serious hurt and never even flinch. Amazing what they get like when they are in the field.

5. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    UPS charged me I think $45ish for shipping, $23 or so for brokerage fee and I want to say $8 in tax based on Jo’s gracious valuation.

That’s to 4 miles north of my other place that being on the south side of the border is $9.99 or so. Hence never shipping direct before this stupid border closure.

I don’t want to get into the Eberlestock pack that cost $389 to buy and $250 in total to ship.

6. gunslinger387

Aug 31, 2010
    That sucks. Wish cool stuff didn’t cost you so much extra money.

7. gunslinger387

Aug 31, 2010
    You sir have a gifted command of the English language.

jus_gus, mendezj, BIGDORK and 7 others like this.
  8. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    ^ yeah, he really does

jus_gus, mendezj, duramax and 5 others like this.
  9. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    But not, apparently, of the English setter. She did not listen to me shouting, "Lady No!, NOOOOO!"

10. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    wrt shipping, I prefer USPS. Couriers like UPS charge a brokerage fee which is usually 50 bucks because they clear it and deliver it as opposed to USPS which hands it over to Canada Post. They charge a delivery fee from the border, which is usually ten bucks, plus applicable taxes based on the declared value. It pays to inform yourself as to how to categorize the item you're shipping, since everything at the border has tightened up since the US gov decided to...ah, nevermind :)

jus_gus, CataD, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  11. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    the dog pulled me off my feet today crossing a stream, and I'm a little messed up...not happy

jus_gus, abbydaddy, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  12. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    That sucks. Bruised not broken I hope.

13. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Bad mako!

jus_gus, Hard Knocks, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  14. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Mine tipped me off my bike one time. He zigged, I zagged and high-sided it. Broke my elbow. Still love that dog. He was just doing what he was put on this earth to do.

15. Lorien

Dec 5, 2005
    not sure if I broke my finger or not, it's still full of blood and swelled up so it's hard to tell. Glad I prepped the CPKhkuk template drawing last night, cuz there won't be much drawing going on for at least a couple days

jus_gus, SwarthyGnome, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  16. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Damn...dominant hand? Gonna be a lot of awkward things over the next few days:eek:

jus_gus, duramax, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  17. Odog27

Odog27 Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Sorry to hear it. I hope you’re both OK.

18. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Hope you're okay man!

jus_gus, duramax, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  19. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Ouch. Hope it heals quickly without issue.

jus_gus, duramax and Odog27 like this.
  20. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    I can’t believe how different kids can be.

My son is really into our family values right now. Courage is one he’s working on, he’s 3 months from turning 7 years old. I tell him one of his teeth is ready to come out soon. He tells me I can try to take it out and he will be brave. I say ok and pop it out without too much fuss, not much blood either. He asked if that’s being brave. I tell him yes and to go rinse out the blood in his mouth. Off he goes. He comes back and throws it in the garbage. End of story.

My step daughter who is 5 months younger literally has a front tooth falling out of her face, sticking out at a 30 degree angle and super discolored, like very much needs to come out a week ago. Maybe more.

She won’t eat with her front teeth, she won’t brush it. It’s gross. Literally, I mean this literally she’s running around screaming “Help me! Save me” at the top of her lungs if we even try to touch it. It’s, for lack of a better term fucking crazy.

You don’t even want to know what it took to finally get it out, but when we finally did, she’s in my arms screaming bloody murder, so I take her to the bathroom mirror to show her it’s out.

So she rinses some blood out of her mouth and then in a matter of seconds after being literally hysterical decides that actually it’s fine and she wants her $10 from the tooth fairy now.

FML.