1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 17, 2017.

1. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    Not profitable enough. Labor alone here is atrocious in comparison to other countries due to a variety of reasons (not making a value judgement here, but labor in the US is expensive, as is the land to do agricultiure.

There's a reason we grow what we grow. Combo of conditions of the area and expected profit of a given crop.

Even fast growing trees are slow in comparison to corn or soy or whatever. Add in farm bill subsidies, and land for industrial forestry is just an unwise investment.

In many cases, natural forests cannot provide cheap enough wood to get a crew to even cut it, with no investment in the maturation at all and almost free sales of trees on federal land.

That's not even counting the Endagnered Species Act issues occurring on the O&C lands in oregon and california that are reserved for timber sales......spotted owl habitat causing a lawsuit from environmental groups.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    My mother had a beautiful white oak forest on her farm. We were told the average age of a tree on it was over 150 years old. It was a huge stand of old trees with a canopy almost 100' high that you really only see in this part of the south. It was glorious and it produced copious amounts of delicious white oak acorns that kept the deer fat and happy and made for great hunting and the best venison. Tasty squirrels too. It was a great place to hunt and to just spend time in the woods, I loved it.

Someone convinced her that the timber was too old and she needed to clear cut it. And the house needed a new roof, so she sold it to them and they cut it all down. It made me sick. Something that really struck me was they cut it all down, removed the best of it and left the rest stacked in huge piles to rot. It wasn't even worth hauling out. Mom got about 15K for the roof and a patch of ragweed you can see from outer space. My kids are 14 and 16 and won't ever get to hunt the woods that I did which is a shame, it was quite lovely.

3. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    I know that feel. My family has forested land in the rockies, several cabins....one built by my grandparents by hand back in the 50s. Lots of memories. Hunting, building, whatever.

Forest fire came through and burnt everything down. It will heal, but the land that I grew up working, hunting, etc will never be the same for my lifetime.

These are the exact issues that lead to making decisions that aren't purely scientifically sound.......science is a guide, not a decision.

When I talk about the science of of these things, that's one side. Emotional connection, memories, human experience......that's part of it too.

I get it. Seeing my family land still brings me to tears because of my very personal connection.....and I am fairly knowledgeable on the science of why it isn't actually bad in a natural sense......

There's lots of sides to these things. None are inherently wrong either.

4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Playing "Clue" with my family. I'm realizing that my family, my dear sweet loved ones, are all retarded.

5. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    I wish the retarded
    Were re-smarted

6. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    that is truly sad as hell :(

7. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    The all-new version, 'Clueless'. :p

Mike Pierson, Odog27 and 1AbominAble1 like this.
  8. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    If you all want to welcome folks of all walks of life into the great knife community we have here, its time to revisit using retarded as a slur or as the butt of the joke.

I know it can seem like all in good fun and my intent here is not to police the forums. But a lot of my friends and many kids I work with have retardation as a clinical condition, and they are great people. So when you say retarded and you mean it as something funny because it is stupid or slow, it is because we associate those things with people who do have retardation. But many of those folks are not stupid or slow, or the butt of anyone's joke, even though they are retarded by definition.

And it can be difficult for them to speak up when they feel like people don't see them or want to be around them. But I want to be around them and I'd like to introduce you to them and welcome them here - so let's consider moving on from it. Fact of the matter is it stings a bit for many people who I think all of you would want around participating in the hobby/business/camaraderie of BF & CPK.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  9. beattheheat

beattheheat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Who starts a new thread for the (to come) CPK Kephart?

10. SharpPancake

SharpPancake Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I have no idea, but judging by the response on Kephart CPK, that sucker knew what he was doing :D

Mike Pierson, vkp78 and Odog27 like this.
  11. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Knock yourself out. No rules around it.

12. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    Just got to work and somehow BF came randomly to my mind. Thought I’d say Hi!

And so here I am!

OK gotta work so Byeeeee!

13. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    'Mornin J! Somehow it feels like this is going to be a good week. Here's hoping! :)

14. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    We got just a little snow out here on the east coast but not enough to stick. How's it looking by you all?

15. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    No snow yet ;-)

duramax, Mike157, BIGDORK and 2 others like this.
  16. jus_gus

jus_gus Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    It’s 79 degrees down here in south Florida. :)

17. benchrest308

benchrest308 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2014
    So, that's where the nice weather went. It was -35c last night. Send some of that heat North, would ya?

18. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    -35c, and here I was thinking that "feels like 33f was chilly!

19. SneezySky

SneezySky Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2017
    random fact: -40 degree is the same for Celsius & Fahrenheit

20. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    A most excellent explanation! Delta labor costs exceed transportation costs. Should have figured that myself. :oops:

Thanks very much!