Really cool...gotta see this!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by d.weglarz13, Aug 22, 2012.

1. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    Best use of an axe for wood work that i have ever seen personally. Chopping, making handles for tools, hewing, etc, etc, everything! I don't know if this has been posted a hundred times or not, but since i can only search back 12 pages, im posting this.
    It is worth the time to watch through the whole video, and even watch the next part if you have the time.

One of the coolest things you will ever watch on youtube.........i like around 5:32, cool seeing it done. Its only about 9 minutes out of your life, you'll be glad you watched this if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

oh, and what type of axe is that he is using? brand, model, etc. thanks

enjoy....

dave

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. Liquidm1980

Liquidm1980

Jun 26, 2005
    wow pretty neat. now i wana get some logs.

3. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    There are hours of Dick Proenneke that are shown on PBS. Good stuff. Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    No problem. I have to order the full video now, I'm hooked!

5. jwaj

jwaj

Dec 19, 2002
    One of my favorites. I lost the link to the complete movie, but it's somewhere on the internet.

6. nickortizzle1035

nickortizzle1035

Dec 30, 2009
    Dick proenneke is one of the coolest guys ever. I remember watching those videos on PBS when I was a kid! That guy could build anything with handtools

7. Acetylene

Acetylene

Aug 22, 2010
    I just watched that last weekend and had the same reaction..wow now that is cool

8. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Anyone notice what kind of axe he was using?

It was a double bit cruiser.

9. slaroy

slaroy

Jul 9, 2012
    I am a science teacher and I sometimes show parts of the full video to get conversations started up in class. It generally blows the kids minds. It's been one of my favorites since I was just a rugrat.

10. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    I was lucky enough to see his cabin while I lived in Alaska. He left his cabin while I was there also.

11. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    If anyone finds it, please post it. I will do a search again for it though...

12. hoxhunbe

hoxhunbe

Feb 6, 2012
    This is pretty awesome. I'm especially amazed at the quality of the film. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

13. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    The wildlife photos and some scenery shots are spliced in - not part of Dick's original film.

14. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    Like you, Pegs, I have a real affinity for the double bit cruiser. Hard to beat!

15. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    What brand of cruiser axe do you think he's using? I like this axe too!

16. fivefold

fivefold

Mar 29, 2008
    Excellent. Now I have to order the video!

17. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    It could be a lot of things. I've seen that basic pattern from Plumb, Mann, Kelly TT, Collins, and I have a similar Zenith Marshall Wells as well. I'm sure there are many others.

18. mc5aw

mc5aw

Nov 6, 2011
    I'm currently reading Proenneke's book. It's his first hand account of the cabin project. He was an amazing man ...

19. Ah Pook

Ah Pook

Dec 16, 2007
  20. d.weglarz13

d.weglarz13

Jun 4, 2008
    Pook, thanks a lot for that link! Going to look through it now!