Really need some help (tomahawk)

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by benajah, Sep 28, 2010.

1. benajah

benajah

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi everyone, I am new here but have something of an issue i need help with.
    I was born and raised in the Smokey mts, spent most of my younger days out in the forest, and always carried a tomahawk, very old (head was made around the revolutionary war or so) that had been passed down. So I have went off to the army, then college, then move out to california (yea!!, really it sucks, I want to go back to NC but the economy sucks so I am stuck). anyway gentleman, I want a good traditional tomahawk to replace my family heirloom that I somehow misplaced. Any good sources?
    Just a note, I am not trying to replicate something, nobody knows I lost it...I just want the functionality back. I have done a lot of web searching...I am looking for something with a flat blade back..no up curve on the back...indicitave of the heads traded to the Cherokee from 1740-1780. Any help into who may have something like this or may be able to make something like this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Ben

2. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Contact Steve at Coal Creek Forge. He is a forum member...

3. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Steve Liley at coal creek forge can make you anything you want. Great hawks and a great guy to deal with. He has a few pictures right on this page.

Best regards

Robin

4. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    You mean something like this? I was thinking of cutting the hammer pole of my trail hawk. Should end up looking like this.
    This is an actual antique for the low price of 495 bucks. Says it's from 1790'to 1820's.
    [​IMG]

5. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    If you want to go cheap, cutting the poll off the CS Trail hawk really makes it look a lot like many of the eastern tomahawks I've seen.

Another good option is the Cold Steel Frontier hawk, Spike, or Pipe Hawk, they all have the flat top edge (which I prefer as well).

Going up in price, Check out Fort Turner, his Iroquois is a very fine example of a hawk.

If you really want something nice, Coal Creek Forge is a good way to go. There's another guy that posts here that's made some very nice pieces, but I don't have his name memorized.

6. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Hi there Shotgun
    Nice looking hawk, any chance of some pics of the whole thing and some close ups of the blade? :D

Regards

Robin

7. benajah

benajah

Sep 27, 2010
    Mine was very similar, only the cutting edge was longer, so the blade had more of a belly curve. No poll on the old one, although I am not opposed to my next one having a small poll.
    The one I had I found in the barn in my grandfather's old camping gear at the family farm and from talking to older relatives, eventually came to realize it was originally from the gear of an ancestor who moved to GA from southwestern VA right after the revolutionary war, had been used quite a bit by people all the way up to my grandfather.
    I have a fair amount of old family stuff like that. I have my 5-greats grandfather's belt buckle from the Confederate army too.

8. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
  9. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    Benajah what part of NC are you from, my dads from Robinsville NC up in the Smokeys.

10. benajah

benajah

Sep 27, 2010
    Actually I am originally from way north Georgia, just moved to Greensboro NC when I was a teenager. Went to high school in NC.

11. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    Check out the HB Forge Shawnee hawk. It may be what you're looking for.