Really...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PheonixKingZ, Aug 13, 2020.

Which blade is better in YOUR opinion?

1. Black

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Polished (Aka silver)

66 vote(s)
    86.8%
  1. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Yes they are. It is common for them to rub a little too. Don’t let it bother you.

The “other smaller tool” is called an awl, btw.

Not sure if I told you all of this, but, the Swiss military issue knife from 1962 through 2008 is based upon the Pioneer model. Effectively, you have the same knife the soldiers carried. Your’s is the same steel and blade configuration but with different cosmetics.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    PheonixKingZ likes this.
  2. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 9, 2020
    That’s cool to know I have a knife that is very similar to what they carried! Nice little piece of history! :)

sabre cat likes this.
  3. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    I feel like I'm the only electrician I know who hasn't blown a hole in their pliers yet... Lol

Sharp & Fiery and Dcdavis like this.
  4. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Yeah, the issue model is known as a Pattern 61 Soldier. Early models were red and can bring big bucks if in good condition.
    Some years were red or silver and later models were silver with red markings.

Wenger also made them but, Victorinox seem to be finished a little better.

If you ever see a Pioneer with a date stamp on the blade, it is made with blades left over from a Swiss Army contract.

PheonixKingZ likes this.
  5. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Your inbox is full youngblood.

6. PheonixKingZ

Aug 9, 2020
    I will delete some messages... 1 sec.

7. PheonixKingZ

Aug 9, 2020
    There... now it should have room!

8. PheonixKingZ

Aug 9, 2020
    I got to use my EDC and my SAK yesterday and today! It was my sisters birthday party yesterday, so she used the Utilitac to open gifts and such. I also used the SAK today, to cut milkweed leaves for the monarch caterpillars.

What is the best way to remove sticky substances from a blade? The Utilitac has tape/glue on it, and the milkweed “juice” is super sticky. Thoughts? (I thought about leaving Goo-gone on the blade, but will that stain it?)

9. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    I use rubbing alcohol.

10. PheonixKingZ

Aug 9, 2020
    I’ll see if I can find some... but if I can’t... will Goo-gone work? (And with the alcohol, do I just let it sit? Or rub it?)

11. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I also use alcohol. I have 99% alcohol for electronics, but I use 91% or less for cleaning blades and steel parts. I just squirt some on a clean rag or paper towel and wipe them off. Then I oil them with Break Free CLP, or food grade mineral oil if they will be used for food stuffs.

Lee D and PheonixKingZ like this.
  12. Boru13

Apr 25, 2000
    I've never used Goo-gone... with the alcohol, just put some on a paper towel, rag, whatever and rub the blade till the residue is gone. Any drug store or Walmart will have the alcohol... get the red labeled 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol.
    upload_2020-9-12_12-48-24.jpeg

Lee D and PheonixKingZ like this.
  13. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Their newest model from Nathan and Lorein. Just a bit bigger than the EDC and the handle is great in hand.
    20200627_120517_resized_1.jpg

Sharp & Fiery and 000Robert like this.
  14. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I would second the idea to save for a good sharpening stone or crock sticks whatever it may be and learn to sharpen before worrying about more knives.

It's something you will use for a lifetime.

And alcohol should removed sticky things ... you may need to scrub a bit ... carefully to not cut yourself ... if you lay the blade flat on the edge of a table or a piece of wood it helps too ... but the alcohol works great.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Lee D, PheonixKingZ and Boru13 like this.
  15. Boru13

Apr 25, 2000
    @PheonixKingZ
    I believe you said you have a job now, save up and get yourself a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's perfect for the knives you now have and for the ones you've expressed interest in getting.

16. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    WD-40 is great for getting gooey stuff off your blades and most houses have some lying around. Worst case scenario, out in the field, nose grease. :)

PheonixKingZ likes this.
  17. PheonixKingZ

Aug 9, 2020
    I actually have enough to get it now. Just trying to find a place to buy... what website is the best? Also, is it best to get it new or used?

The rubbing alcohol worked like magic, along with dawn soap. ;)

(I did use 50%, is that ok for the future?)

18. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    The great thing about the Sharpmaker is that it works with just about any knife.

I use mine along with a kitchen steel as my main gear. A Lansky sharpener is used when the blade is completely trashed and I have a some diamond stones for field use. Those stones were compliments of @chuck4570.

I also have a Case Moonstone that I bought years ago and some stones that belonged to my father.

Lee D and chuck4570 like this.
  19. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    I bought mine used but prices are about the same as new.

Use what you have for now.
    It will make a great tool for field use later on. Especially if you are proficient with it.

chuck4570 likes this.
  20. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Nose grease?

chuck4570 likes this.