1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Reate Knives is going to create a new series with tactical knives

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by ReaTe, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    Hey guys,

It has been a long time that we make high quality knives and we are going to create a new series with tactical knives in the near future. Before we do that, we would like to know if you guys have any ideas about the blade style, knife size and materials that you think would be popular and fresh? We hope to do something different and try something new that we can bring some special experience to everyone.

If you have any suggestion about our new series please feel free to leave your comments.
    We will be much appreciated if we could build a new series with the ideas from everyone here.

Thank you very much.

Reate Knives Team.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. videorecipes

videorecipes

Jan 12, 2017
    Exciting news!

This might not be very new, but I would really like to see Reate Knives produce a no-frills, dead simple folder with a stonewashed, hollow ground blade riding on phosphor bronze washers. Maybe CPM-M4 or Bohler K390 steel. Thumbstuds preferred. 3.25" blade length. As for the handle, liner lock preferred, or perhaps a tail lock. Black micarta scales.

fishface5, ErocSD, TenShun705 and 3 others like this.
  3. Grayman1984

Grayman1984 Basic Member Basic Member

May 5, 2017
    I second this. Washers over bearings for a “tactical” folder every time. Maybe some good stonewashed or coated blades, 3.5”-4” in length would be preferable. Black micarta, G10, and the occasional carbon fiber for handle scale material.

VernonRemington and ReaTe like this.
  4. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Reate's knives are sort of in the 'dress tactical' category already. What did you have in mind in terms of 'tactical'? When I think 'tactical,' I mostly think "Paint it black, call it tactical, sell it to cops and soldiers."

I would be thinking fixed blades. I'd like to see Reate fixed blades.

5. ReaTe

ReaTe

Feb 15, 2014
    We would have fixed blade coming soon. Thank you Madcap:)

6. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2010
    A gentleman's tactical. Ambi thumb stud disk. 3.5" blade, high grind, thick enough stock for a strong tip. High traction scales. Stabby, just not too stabby.

No blade coatings, wave opening, serrations, skulls, or glass breakers.

Have been growing old waiting for ZT to make a 4" all around performance camp/task/craft knife I can take in the woods with me. Please Reate, please.

ReaTe likes this.
  7. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    To me, tactical does not mean a sharpened prybar. Thin stock and a thin edge cut well, that's what a knife ought to do.

fishface5 and ReaTe like this.
  8. ErocSD

ErocSD Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I think tactical as in low drag and durable. My Reate I own are more gentleman's edc and while the materials are high quality I am not sure they would last during extremely hard use. Perhaps an M4 or VG10, 3v blade 3.5" overbuilt flipper or large fixed Bowie?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    ReaTe likes this.
  9. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2015
    I would like to see the following from Reate:

1) Fixed blades
    2) Folding knives running on PB washers vs. bearings
    3) Something besides frame lock folders
    4) Unlikely, but an OTF. Hey I can dream :)

ReaTe likes this.
  10. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I'd like to see you make a few 4 - 4.5" folders with integral frames with double row bearings.
    A Straight back and Trailing blade shapes would be cool. I'd also like to see the grinds thinner and slicy!

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

ReaTe likes this.
  11. sechip

sechip Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Front flipper liner lock 3.25"/3.375" satin M390 FFG blade on bearings would be awesome! (similar to a Shamwari)

fishface5 and ReaTe like this.
  12. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Challenge you guys to make something that competes with Chris Reeve Inkosi or Umnumzaan. No fancy ball bearing with 72 balls, no flipper, no mokuti, marbled carbon fiber, zirconium collar/bolster and other BS. Just make some plain old good user knife with strong pivot and bronze washer. Make some neutral handle, make some drop/clip point blade. No fancy recurve tanto with 3 secondary tips or stupid stuff like 18 speed holes in the blade or 3-piece screw together blade.
    Just make something timeless and classic that when you look back in 10 years you wont feel stupid that you actually made it.

ErocSD likes this.
  13. teddyashe

teddyashe Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Hollow ground dagger grind doubled edged fixed blade with OAL about be 8"

ErocSD likes this.
  14. ice-pic

ice-pic Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I think Reate could nail a channel milled for an integral construction balisong with a weehawk blade.
    How about a integral design with internal milling for weight loss;tooling would have to enter at an angle and
    machine with ball end mill,or special end mill to do side cutting.
    Heck if that is too much just drill it out nice hole pattern always works.
    What do you think?

ErocSD likes this.
  15. Zack P

Zack P

Jul 5, 2019
    S45vn from crucible is mando

ErocSD likes this.
  16. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    9'' boot dagger.

3'' blade folding dagger.

17. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    To me, "tactical" means simple, reliable and durable.

18. Zack P

Zack P

Jul 5, 2019
    If I'm putting on gear for a tactical situation it needs to be the absolute best for me because that does matter in the moment. What you described is a worker knife.

19. sixplymaple

sixplymaple Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Some tactical fixed blades between 3.5"-5.5" with unique steel would be cool. It seems like most fixed blades from large companies are either in S30V/S35VN, D2, 154CM, or M390. Something like CPM-4V or PD#1 would be refreshing and awesome!

I think top quality kydex or holstex is important too. An awesome sheath with good carry options can make or break a purchase for me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  20. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    For something “tactical” I would say the following are kind of some basic features:
    • PB washers
    • Liner lock
    • G10 or micarta for something more classy
    • Classic Benchmade/Emerson style pocket clip
    • milled liners for weight saving
    For the blade I would prefer a compound grind with a strong tip and a hollow grind on the flat
    For the blade shape either a classic drop point or a tanto would work

Considering blade length 3.25-3.75” is a very functional range

Variation on steel can be fun and can make a difference on a marketing point of view especially if you put some DLC on it