1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendations for Axe Noob

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by boss_crew, Oct 8, 2019.

1. boss_crew

boss_crew Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Hello axe folks,

I am looking to find a dependable axe for regular use and chopping. I am feeling overwhelmed by the choices and do not know where to begin. I spent some time digging around the Axe forum to see if this has already been addressed. Would like to find something affordable that is not garbage, probably sub $100 if possible. Thanks in advance for help, I have no idea what I am doing.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Full size or a boys axe , single or double bit ?
    A standard council tools Dayton would work well.
    The best option is to go vintage , they just don't make ' em like they used to.
    And in going vintage you'll learn the valuable skill of hanging an axe, let's face it if you're here asking then you're probably not planning to just toss the tool when the handle breaks are you ?

There are a few threads you can skim through to get an idea of what we but in vintage axes to get an idea of what to look for.
    It followed me home pt2, what did you sharpen today, and what did you rehang today.

3. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    H&S gave you good advice. Another thing I can recommend is to Google "single bit axe patterns". Just have a look at the images and different axe patterns you see and decide which ones you fancy. Then when you are looking at the 'bay, or some other auction place or antique store, you'll be able to recognize whether or not the axe you are looking at still has a lot of service left in it or if it is worn out.
    Dayton and Michigan patterns are very common. Though there's quite a few other patterns available too. Especially vintage ones. Of course if you've got questions regarding a particular axe you've seen don't hesitate to ask about it! Just be sure to post photos. And welcome to the forum!

4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    What they said, Council or vintage.

boss_crew, Miller '72 and Fmont like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    And we can tell you what to look for in a vintage axe.

6. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    To keep things simple, I think council tool is a good starting spot to look. Their sport line is pretty good for the money if you're comfortable touching up the edge. Mine was actually good but I've read some aren't right off the shelf.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  7. boss_crew

boss_crew Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Fantastic information and advice to get me started. I really appreciate everyone's comments and help!

Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.