1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendations for hardness in 1084 dagger

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Willie71, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a dagger that is 11" long (blade.) I did a clay differential quench. It is 1/4" thick, 1 1/4" wide at the widest, and it has a small fuller. I quenched in Maxim DT48 after soaking at 1480f (+/- 5f) for 5 minutes. I did the stress relieve temper last night at 350f for 90min. I was thinking tempering at 450f for 1h x2. This is for as friend who is a hunter as he wants a last ditch weapon in case he is attacked by a bear. The last thing I would want is a broken blade. This is a pretty big chunk of steel. Is Rc 57/58 appropriate here? Recommendations?

2. Jason Fry

Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    From my experience, I think 450 with that regimen will leave you around 60 RC.

3. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I REALLY need a tester!!!! I was going by Cashen's specs. Maybe I'll temper at 450 and see if the edge chips, and try higher temps if needed. Thanks for the comment.

4. Jason Fry

Jason Fry

Jun 5, 2008
    I bet the edge won't chip at 450. If you're concerned about durability though, I'd go 475 without a tester, or 500 if you could verify that 475 was still a little hard.

5. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    475 it is. Thank you. I will run two temper cycles tomorrow.