1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Redwing Boots or?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Seth Green, May 11, 2019.

1. Seth Green

Seth Green Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Danner is a brand I've looked at. They appear to be quality built. Thanks for the reply

Krav likes this.
  2. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    Good to know. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge!

3. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Second on the Wolverine mention. Though I've been wanting to try redwings for a while now.

For perspective, I work retail and wear steel toes every day, easily using those toes and walking 25000 to 33000 steps a day.

My pair were around 75 bucks and they're pretty scuffed now, but perfectly functional still.

Seth Green likes this.
  4. Dddrees

Dddrees

Dec 13, 2015
    By the way Vibram soles are typically not found on cheap shoes or boots either. You”ll generally find these on better shoes and boots as well. Merell for example only uses them on their more expensive shoes.

5. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    Either vibram or dainite sounds like it would work for what I need. And most of the brands you posted will will resole for a fee. Which is a plus. Thanks!

6. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I wear Chippewas. Made in the USA, like Red Wing, butess expensive.

Zieg

Seth Green likes this.
  7. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    I like the Chippewa moccasin boot. Trouble is finding anywhere that carries it in my size. Thanks for the info!

The Zieg likes this.
  8. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks for the info. They have some nice models!

9. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I was a Redwing fan until I tried a pair of Keens. Keens are now what I wear to work everyday.

10. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    What do you like about the Keens over the Redwings?

11. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
    Zero break in time and just really comfortable. I would get about 18 months out of a pair of redwings and can do the same with the Keens by just changing the insoles once.
    The Keens are lighter and pretty durable although I will admit Redwings are probably more durable. It a decent trade off for me because my feet and lower back are much happier with me wearing Keens. Just my experience, your results might be different.

12. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    If I came across as rude, I didn't mean to. Trying to get as much info and input before I make what is for me a large purchase. Thanks for the info!

LEGION 12 and Grateful like this.
  13. Grateful

Oct 5, 2002
    I didn’t think you were rude at all. And I get it, boots are expensive. I’ve been wearing work boots for years and Keens are my current favorites. They may or may not work for you but I would definitely suggest checking them out.

Seth Green likes this.
  14. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I was just introduced to Tricker's an english handmade footwear brand, having been a Redwing guy (Still am, but boots are addicting). Ebay Division X Trickers collaboration.

[​IMG]

Seth Green likes this.
  15. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    I like the Carolina loggers. Thanks for the info!

16. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Justin original makes a good boot for the money.

Seth Green likes this.
  17. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    I like a couple of their models. Thanks!

18. Top's Custom Kydex

Top's Custom Kydex

Apr 21, 2014
    I recently purchased my first set of Red Wing Iron Rangers and I have no regrets. Yeah, they were expensive (right at $300 out the door with a 10% military discount) but the buying experience was part of the lure of RW boots.

Over the years I've believed that I needed a wide shoe or boot but the RW salesman disagreed. He measured my foot and told me that in RW Iron Rangers I would wear a 9 Medium. He confirmed his opinion with the black and chrome sizing device that you don't see in shoe stores any more. He brought out a couple of pair and I tried the 9D Iron Rangers and started walking around the store. While I was walking around he said my boots that I wore into the store looked "thirsty" and offered to clean and oil them for me and I told him to go for it. My American made Justin boots felt like slippers compared to the IR! My Justin's came out looking better than new and this increased my confidence in the salesman. After 30 minutes of walking around I decided to buy the Iron Rangers.

I've had the IR for about 6 weeks and I wear them daily. They are still breaking in and when I first put them in the morning they aren't exactly comfortable.... but 12+ hours later when I take them off my feet don't hurt at all. When I take off my "comfortable" Justin boots my feet ache.

Bottom line is that I am sold in Red Wing boots. I plan on picking up 2 more pair in the near future a pair of moc toe boots and a pair of RW Blacksmith boots.

Seth Green likes this.
  19. Seth Green

Dec 6, 2013
    That's great! There's a couple of stores within an hour of me. I'm going to have to go try a few pairs on before I decide. My feet are narrow and I am curious if Redwings are going to be too wide for my feet. I'm glad you're work so well for you!

20. Dddrees

Dddrees

Dec 13, 2015
    Unfortunately depending on the Redwing Store they may or may not stock their Iron Rangers at this store. These being or considered part of their premium line and more expensive than most are not stocked at all of their Redwing Stores. A call ahead might be a good thing especially if the store isn't close by.