1. Despite 2020 presenting more than its share of challenges, I'm thankful for all of you, and the community you guys have created. Hope that your homes are full of happiness, your fridge well stocked with leftovers, and your homes warm & loving.

REK Ember fixed blade discussion thread

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Jul 17, 2020.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Figured it was about time to make a dedicated thread for this specific model :)

[​IMG]

Any questions, pics, discussion, testimonials, etc. about this model can be posted here!!

Pre-order is now closed

Here's some of the WIP pics from start to finish for the first batch. Second batch is in production as I write this w/ an ETA beginning of December.

First up I did the CAD and 3D printed a proto:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I ordered up the blanks and rough ground to prep for HT

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sent out for HT and once back I started building all these handles by hand (chamfers and all)

[​IMG]

Initial batch done!

[​IMG]

Final pics before initial sale:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next batch I'm offering 2 steel options (M390 and CPM Cruwear) with multiple scale materials and sheath colors. This next batch will likely have jimping with the crowned spine, as well as a skeletonized tang.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    jus_gus, Dcdavis, duramax and 7 others like this.
  2. Fullflat

Fullflat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2018
    The Ember definitely deserves its own thread. Very cool!

jus_gus, Dcdavis, duramax and 5 others like this.
  3. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    These look like a very well thought-out small blade. Nice choices of steel too.

4. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks David. I'm very interested to see what's the most popular options, will try to post here in a few after I compile the data so far :)

5. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I’m betting on the CocoCru!

jus_gus, duramax, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  6. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I love it and can't wait for mine!
    Josh will you be offering replacement scales also?

Fullflat, jus_gus, duramax and 4 others like this.
  7. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Aaaaand you would be RIGHT! out of 37 orders so far, top orders are:

Blade:
    • 27 cruwear
    • 10 m390
    Scales
    • 13 coconut
    • 12 od grn micarta
    DLC - 13 orders

Sorry I know I'm a nerd but I find spreadsheets and stats quite interesting :) Plus I love organization so spreadsheets are a must for me!

Yes for sure! Crunching the numbers allows me to dial in specific orders w/ a certain number of each color extra. Acutally I may send out an email to see who will want what regarding extra scales (just to make sure I don't undershoot any specific color), we will see.

8. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Ha! Love it. I’m a data guy too. Tight race there with the OD! They’re all good tho. It’s always hard to choose when there are so many great options.

jus_gus, duramax, woodysone and 3 others like this.
  9. Fullflat

Jan 4, 2018
    All is small today
    EFB44EFC-0791-40D3-A41D-7A762B68030A.jpeg 05C939BC-1030-4BEE-A8B3-CEB2C19D31B1.jpeg

jus_gus, Dcdavis, duramax and 6 others like this.
  10. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    And with all the fever, no one noticed the extra "s" in discussion. :D:thumbsup:

11. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
  12. Fullflat

Jan 4, 2018
    On days where ounces count, the Ember and that rimfire kit are a joy to have tagging along ;)

13. TenShun705

TenShun705 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2016
    My wife’s guna have a hoot when I wrap one of these up for my daughter’s Xmas present this year ;)

EDIT: for context, I pre-ordered 2 and will need to justify the second one lol

jus_gus, duramax, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  14. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Josh, do you foresee making any of the micarta scales with a pattern like the G10 models? (I don't know if that's even feasible but I like the pattern on the g10 over the sculpted, though I usually lean toward micarta) Maybe not necessarily on this order, but on subsequent?

@razor-edge-knives

15. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    I will be having a review of the Ember going live tonight/or tomorrow! :D Pretty excited.

jus_gus, duramax, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  16. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    No that pattern is referred to as peel ply and is made that way in a factory. I may make some extra black g10 peel ply scales to be available at some point though.

17. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Understood. I had wondered if it was factory textured. Thanks for the response, it helps.

jus_gus, duramax, TenShun705 and 4 others like this.
  18. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Next to a pm3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jus_gus, mb>, Dcdavis and 6 others like this.
  19. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Love it!

20. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012