REK Quarantine fixed blade *complete* start to finish WIP pics!

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Aug 16, 2019.

1. David Lennon

David Lennon Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2017
    As far as I know this first batch are, but wait for Josh to give the answer for certain.

2. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    I’m pretty sure there will be another batch made. I believe you can sign up and get on the REK mailing list :)

3. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    The tracking shows it’s at the local post office, watching for out for delivery.:) Was the wait worth it:eek:, after seeing all the WIP pictures I’m sure it will be!:D

4. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    yeah this batch is, I was gonna launch another batch right away but I'm gonna hold off for a month or so probably to see how everyone likes them and if the demand is there this soon :) but yeah, sign up for my newsletter at link in the sticky'd thread to stay in the loop!

5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    saweeet!! yeah love to hear your thoughts :)

6. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I’ll start. Chunk o blade, and it is sharp. :) Nice balance point. Comfortable in all grips. I already had a clue on the ergos after handling the plastic proto so no surprise there. The scalloped sides aren’t something I would have thought up on my own, but they feel good.

Nothing to do with Josh, but the sheath retention is too strong. Assuming these came from Mashed Cat, my last CPK was the same way. He used to have the retention dialed in perfect, so makes me wonder what changed in that process. Minor stuff that can be adjusted.

Btw, this is a standard grind with a performance edge for comparison to others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Oh man thanks for the pics and feedback man!! Glad it made it safely :) Yeah the stock thickness is pretty thick for sure.

8. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Mark I wish you would have waited till this afternoon to post this, tracking has been updated to out for delivery.:( Only a couple of hours wait:), @mb> what did you have to do to adjust tension on the sheath? I like them tight but?;)

9. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    LOL @woodysone. Hey Martin, I haven’t tried adjusting these last couple sheaths yet. I think you can wrap a few layers of tape around the handle and apply some heat. On this one, the angle of the thumb ramp may play into the perceived retention, but both this one and my last CPK FK2 feel about twice as hard to remove the blade compared to what I’m used to...YMMV of course.

Any tips there Josh?

10. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I've taken a 1/4" drill bit and drilled out one of the top eylets near the throat before on a pancake I had that had too stubborn retention. BTW, I put a little strip of friction tape on the bit shank and twisted it by hand just enough to wear away the rolled over eyelet ring and not damage the sheath.

It takes a minute or two to do it that way but it's not hard, they're usually brass or similar malleable metals.

It's easily reversible too if you have extra eyelets and flaring die set. Or you can just put a chicago screw in there if you want to reverse the process.

https://usaknifemaker.com/eyelet-custom-die-set-3-16-6-our-own-custom-set.html

OTOH, I've really jacked up a BB kydex pancake with my heat gun. :oops:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    TenShun705, duramax, Fullflat and 2 others like this.
  11. woodysone

Nov 21, 2005
    Well color me impressed,:D just opened up my package from REK and pulled out a big chunk of curwear that as @mb> said this has very nice balance! And the grip fits me prefect, my fingers wrap around the grip and the tips of my fingers fall into the grooves and sharp, well we all know what Josh is famous for.:eek: All in all, an excellent first blade that I'm going to enjoy, Thank You Josh!

12. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    I probably wouldn't use heat - you can introduce play into the sheath's retention and mess it up. Ron nailed it below... removing the top eyelet on the spine side should loosen things up a little. Normally I use the size drill bit just above 1/4" carefully and just enough to get through the lip. I'm happy to do that for you if you would like :) It's exactly how I like my sheath retention ;) but I realize everyone has different preferences. Maybe I should just put a chicago screw in that section next time to allow for adjustment... hmmmm

Good call on this.... and great job explaining!

Yessss!!! so glad to hear it man!

13. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    487CD04F-4DB7-430F-A1FC-556F01CEFA25.jpeg

Beautiful Knife !

Lightning fast shipping to the west coast !

The attention to detail, fit & finish and paperwork/warranty are second to none.

This knife is going to get some use!

Thank you Josh! You have some serious skills man. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to the patina this one will develop!

Sheath on this one seems just about perfect by the way.

14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks Kyle! Can't wait to hear some feedback after you get to put it through the paces :D

15. Fullflat

Fullflat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2018
    This is without a doubt the best feeling fixed blade in hand that I have, or have access to. Amazing ergos and the way you’ve executed the ramp is right on. Way to go Josh!

16. Wood5045

Wood5045 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2016
    I’ll echo the same comments made above. Great job Josh! This knife is sharp as hell. Here’s a close up pic of the logo. Very clean design.

upload_2020-6-5_14-13-2.jpeg

17. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Wow! These look great!

18. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    That's saying A LOT ... :cool:

I know most of the blades you've had in hand-- because I've bought several of em from ya! ;)

...well that seals it...I've GOT to have one now

anyone wanting to move theirs along, shoot me a PM :)...............I won't be holding my breath, though. :rolleyes:

19. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Mine is in state but no go till tomorrow :-( Fingers crossed :D

20. duramax

Nov 29, 2012
    Mighty big words here :) Now I’m really really excited !!!!!!