1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Remington Trappers and their descendants.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Dr-Mabuse, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Dr-Mabuse

Dr-Mabuse Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I've had a few patterns pass through my hands but few are as visually and ergonomically pleasing as those trappers with a nice double curve for your fingers to hold on to. Now I'm told that Remington first laid down those lovely curves in brass and steel but loads of makers have drawn inspiration from them. Now I don't know the first thing about all the different models Remington made, their lineage or who copied what but I'd love to learn. SO if anyone wants to share their collection and knowledge or lend me a link I'd be very grateful. If you've got one of these lovely trappers, I wanna see 'em. In the meantime, here's my cherished trio of GEC lockbacks.

[​IMG]

vintagebob, Bloefield, edbeau and 8 others like this.
  2. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    I'd like to see an ebongy slipjoint #83

L.H.S likes this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Well, Doc, I don't know much about them either, but I'm going to keep my eye on this thread so I can learn. Three beauties you got there.

tmd_87, Dr-Mabuse and Getting older like this.
  4. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    For me the Bose/Case Wilfred Works Lockback Hunter is the best. Almost better than an original ;) Relieved liners, pivot bushing, integral spring, steel frame, micarta spacer, pinned shield, 154CM steel! My lady uses in the kitchen on vacation, and that's a pretty high compliment.

mnblade and Peregrin like this.
  5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Pics tell the truth!!:)

neal70, Prester John and Dr-Mabuse like this.
  6. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Remington #1123 compared to a Northfield #42.

Rem Back 1123 A.jpg Rem Bull 1.jpg

7. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    Sorry I'm not yet into the 21st century:)

I think there's a thread around here somewhere with the original and one rebladed by Tony and a another thread that shows the Tony version and the disassembled one.

I met Tony at a show and he was carrying a rebladed original, 440V IIRC. He let coon finger it :)

navin74, neal70 and Prester John like this.
  8. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    The only trapper I have is a 73, which is based on the smaller version of Remington's original bullet trapper. The Remingtons were 3.5 inches but GEC decided to go with 3.75 inches on their 73s. They're a good size, about as big as I'd go. Mine is the blocky variant (I forget what it's called).

[​IMG]

Bloefield, edbeau, Jolipapa and 6 others like this.
  9. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Don’t know much about them but I do have one of the GEC #42s and would like to get the Wilfred lockback
    D69CD04D-6502-4B2D-BA8E-10808008E792.jpeg

vintagebob, Bloefield, edbeau and 8 others like this.
  10. Dr-Mabuse

Dr-Mabuse Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I had to check those out. They look quite good, though to tell you the truth, I’d be tempted to snag a custom at that point.

Those original Rems had some of the nicest bone I’ve ever seen, and that one is particularly fine.

Those squared off, chamfered bolsters are too dang cool.

11. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    Right now they can be had new from a dealer, in bone, for $320, at least a $100 less than a custom. I've seen a lot of customs that are inferior to Bose made by Case especially on the low end of price, my range :) Now if you get Eugene Shadley to make one, it'd be sweet, but more like $800 :). I've looked at this general pattern made by GEC, Queen and Camillus and the Case was the best for me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  12. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Thank you. Chamfered, that's the word I was looking for.

Dr-Mabuse likes this.
  13. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Charlie, I would absolutely love to see a shot of the 1123 showing the backsprings. This is may be my best chance to ever see what a mint Remington looked liked from that angle. Much appreciated!

14. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    I know practically nothing of the history I'm afraid, but I have 3 Camillus made Remingtons and a Chinese made Winchester. These are a favorite pattern of mine, and I always keep an eye out when I'm at antique malls and such.

15. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    The closest thing I've got is this first year Tidioute #23 Pioneer.

[​IMG]

L.H.S, Bloefield, Half/Stop and 4 others like this.
  16. blademan 13

Jan 25, 2000
    I am a big fan of the Remington trapper and similar knives. I just managed to land my first 1123 Bullet and am just thrilled! I have been looking for one suitable to carry that had some well cared for miles under its belt and this one was perfect. Nice bone, tight with solid pull and snaps with lots of life left in the blades. The previous owner had done a very nice job keeping this one honed and even after some use and plenty of sharpening, has managed to keep this one without any secondary bevel and extremely thin at the tip of the drop point blade. A great example of a well used knife that apparently was very meaningful to its owner. I am certainly happy to carry on that tradition.
    1864CCBE-2797-4AEC-AF96-29E42A96F668.jpeg 3B922509-A876-46C7-885B-A0BF68057AB2.jpeg 291214F2-9F45-4B47-AEAE-2AF43AFF302B.jpeg 3C06A5C6-7E26-4239-9481-0D5A9419AD0A.jpeg

L.H.S, Bloefield, Cutfinger and 8 others like this.
  17. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Man, what a nice knife! Congratulations on a fine acquisition.

18. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Congrats on reeling in a 1123! Lots of life left in that knife. I'm glad you're going to put it to work.

19. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Ooh...looks sharp. Me likey! :thumbsup:

I only have the single blade GEC interpretation. I'm not the biggest fan of drop point blades, but she's a winner.

[​IMG]

20. blademan 13

Jan 25, 2000
    Here are a few recent knives sharing a little DNA with the Remington;
    75D26170-9AF2-4C1B-B4BC-04508FD8C415.jpeg F06E17C9-782D-4918-B8BD-4A162CCA2057.jpeg 456D75D7-0E36-4478-8AFD-1C470215C76F.jpeg

L.H.S, JohnDF, Half/Stop and 2 others like this.