1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Request for knife care

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Fourgates, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    Is it possible to have a sticky for general knife care? Rust prevention, handle care, etc? I thought I've taken good care of mine by keeping the blade clean and a thin layer of WD40, but I still got some rust spotting and discoloration. I use my knife but want to keep it nice too. Can we have a sticky thread on general knife care?

Thanks.

Tony

2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
  3. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    I have good results with pure mineral oil.

4. spiraltwista

spiraltwista

Nov 29, 2002
    Wd40 is a tempoary water repelent, it contains solvents , so once evaporated there is no protection left.

Baby oil works & is non toxic. {Check out the oil your handles thread as well.}

Spiral

5. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    Mine is a user so it does take a beating. What would you suggest for restoring the shine if some day I have the time to put in the work? Is it possible without a buffing wheel or grinder? Thanks for the links btw. I do have silicon oil and will try that next time.

6. Shinook

Shinook

Apr 2, 2012
    Mineral oil is cheap, and effective. As for polishing, a polishing compound is needed. You can do it by hand if you are willng to spend the time and effort...

7. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    I have restored the polish to several hi kukris. It takes 3 wheels (hard, medium, soft) and 3 different polishing compounds (black, white, and red). Plus a lot of time standing in front of the polishing wheel. If the surface is deeply scratched it will have to be sanded or even filed.

8. Browning A Bolt

Browning A Bolt

Jul 1, 2012
    Autosol metal polish will bring back the shine.

9. Fourgates

Fourgates

Oct 24, 2011
    Thanks again everyone. I think I'll wait till I have a bench wheel before trying to polish. As to the mineral oil comment, I'm going to use silicon because I have it in the garage already :).

10. rfguy

rfguy

Jan 20, 2011
    Be extremely careful with the silicone. It usually gets in places that you do not want it to be in. If it gets on the handle that is a huge slippery safety issue.

Go to the local drugstore and buy a bottle of mineral oil instead. It will be more protective than the silicone.