1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

(REVISED)What is your choice for your last axe?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by L4NE4, Feb 25, 2012.

1. L4NE4

L4NE4

Aug 24, 2011
    I am wondering what everyone would choose for their last/one and only axe and why. You can only choose ONE axe (this is assuming you have all of your other gear including knives). I am looking for an axe that will last a lifetime and not fail when I need it the most.

So,

Which axe would you choose and why? Fiberglass or wood handle? Double bit or single? What weight?

Please skip ahead and read Operator1975's post as his response is exactly what I intended this thread for. He just phrased it much better!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I'll take a 2-3/4 to 3 pound single bit with a wood handle. Heavy enough to do some serious chopping but still light enough that you can choke up and do some finer work. And unlike a double bit it's useful for splitting and driving pegs.

Then I'd get busy forging some more - caveman style.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nzmhFwGoM

3. L4NE4

L4NE4

Aug 24, 2011
    Edited original post to not sound to tinfoily

4. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Hey, I like tinfoil! [​IMG]

5. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

IF I could have a crosscut saw, the one on the left. If not, probably the one one on the right. Left is 2 1/4 Mann 27" handle, the other is a 3 1/4 pound Walters 31" handle.

6. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    let me think about that one and i'll get back to ya...
    :);)

7. trailmaker

trailmaker

May 15, 2011
    "Tinfoily" ha ha that's awesome. If I could only take one axe into the apocalypse I guess I'd want one with a lot of steel. A 2 1/4 pound axe might get sharpened down to a useless nub in a few years. I've got a couple of big rafting axes that have thick profiles, they would last quite a while. Their hardened polls might come in handy in some post-apocalyptic situations. They look like they might be decent splitters as well.

8. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    What's a 'rafting axe'?

(Scurries off to Google it.)

9. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
  10. JayGoliath

JayGoliath

Mar 27, 2010
    Winkler and Keffeler Tactical Axe

11. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    My original thought process on this, say when I first joined this forum, would be to say I would pick a 4 lb Dayton felling axe.

However now, after being exposed to all the info on here from so many people, I think I would chose my 4 lb Kelly Prefect double bit axe to go into the end of days with.

12. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    I really like my 3lb Wetterlings American Forest axe. It's a good all a rounder and I can swing it well! The handle works great for me too.
    A close second is my Barco double bit cruiser 2.5lb A good sportsmans axe.I call it my mean axe.
    I would definitely choose a wooden handle simply to have handle options and the overall feel when swinging for long periods of time.
    In the running are a vintage Collins old timer,and a Kelly perfect both poll axes.
    [​IMG]

13. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    You guys must be wicked strong. I cant imagine using a 4 or 5 pound axe to carve tool handle, log joinery, etc. Thats why I posted that 3 1/4 pound Walters, thats the biggest axe than I can possibly use one handed.

14. cattledog

cattledog

Oct 7, 2011
    Hey G-Pig that Walters is nice, I like the looks of it. I Haven't heard of them much.

15. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    I think I might choose my Mustad carpenter's axe because I can do so many things with it. I don't know though, maybe I should pick something larger.

Wood handle for me. Sure, fiberglass is like 5 times stronger, but most handle failures are due to overstrikes/user error, which fiberglass is not immune to either. I remember years ago, snapping a sledge head clean off a fiberglass handle with a perfectly centered but over"struck" swing on a electrical ground rod. Fiberglass is terribly uncomfortable, has poor purchase, greater shock transfer, it's fugly, and how do you replace fiberglass in the field? Am I biased? Hell, yeah. So YMMV, only IMHO, all that. But if you disagree with me, you're an idiot...that's a little joke.

16. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Likewise why I chose a 2-3/4 to 3 pound single bit. There are more uses for an axe than felling and splitting wood. And those are about the only things I want to do with a 4 pound or heavier axe. I'd take a 2-1/4 pound boys axe over a 4 pounder any day as my one and only axe.

17. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    I think Dick Proenneke is one of the only well known people who did anything close to what the OP is suggesting. He had a 2.5 pound double bit cruiser, a 4 pound dayton, a splitting maul and a crosscut. The 4 pounder is probably redundant, you could cut all the wood you would need with the other three. My preference would probably be a 2 1/2 single bit due to it being a smidge safer and having more experience with them. What other tools you have access to really makes a huge difference in the choice.

18. nick425

nick425

Apr 22, 2011
    American Felling Axe 3 1/3lb

[​IMG]

19. trailmaker

trailmaker

May 15, 2011
    I'm not sure the OP was asking which axe you would take with you into the wilderness to build a homestead. I think he was just asking what axe you would choose to last a lifetime, keeping in mind that you would have other tools as well. I guess the choice will depend on what people normally use their axes for.

20. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    I have to ask why there is no love for the Eastwing steel handle models? I carry one in the truck and have found it to be indestructible. Granted I know JACK about axes, but it meets my needs. So I a curious as I never see them mentioned. I have broken to many wooden handles to want another wooden handle versioned. Yes, this means I have terrible technique.