1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

RIP Charlie Mike

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by VernonRemington, Jan 15, 2019.

1. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    He was a one of a kind I loved that guy ! R.I.P. CM ; This forum will never be the same.

VernonRemington likes this.
  2. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Diane, my condolences, I’ve know Matt since he was 17. We were on the phone the night before the fight and we talked a lot after.

A lot of folks wanna do something for, in memory of him. He had his faults as you well know but he was good man, generous to a fault.

I don’t know if you’re in contact with his mom still but if you are or know of a charity or organization they could donate on his behalf it would be nice if they could. There’s the obvious choices AA and your local animal rescue facility.

Anyway if you know of someplace could you please contact me so I can pass the word on.

My email is tederdelyi at gmail dot com I believe it’s on my profile page too.

Thanks,
    Ted E.

3. tyr_shadowblade

tyr_shadowblade

Jan 3, 2006
    I just heard about this today. Knew Matt for a long time, he waved a Matriarch for me and made me a few customs. He struggled more than most of you knew, but he ALWAYS was positive and optimistic, even at the darkest times, he could make a joke out of anything.

He came a long way with his knifemaking skills. The first knife he made me he did while using meth... the grind was shit. After he did the sobriety thing I sent it back to him for a regrind, which he did for free, laughing about what a shitty job he'd done the first time. I carried that for years and still have it somewhere. It's a keeper.

We disagreed on a lot of things and he could be rather obnoxious at times, but he was forever poking fun at himself and his faults. Sometimes he would randomly call me on the phone and ramble for hours. He came a long way. He stayed sober for 5 years, became a respected knifemaker, was well liked, and always tried his best to be a good guy. He will be missed.

4. ohen cepel

ohen cepel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Very sad news. I never met him but always enjoyed reading his post and felt a bond with him as another sandbox vet.

5. eon blue apocalypse

eon blue apocalypse

Apr 11, 2015
    I don't post a lot anymore and sometimes go months or over a year between checking in on the forum, but I always looked forward to seeing his posts when I came back.

RIP

Legendary_Jarl likes this.
  6. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    I remember when Matt first joined the forums. (18 - 20 years ago maybe) You could always tell he was super passionate about knives. He was a good guy and one of only a few people that I've seen who were able to turn their lives around. RIP Matt.

thebrain, R.c.s, LizaMari and 3 others like this.
  7. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Was just rewatching one of my favorite of Matt’s vids. The ending is the best and when he signs off;

Stay armed, stay alert, stay alive. Hooah. God bless. Later.

really hit me hard. Already missing CM so much...

8. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 21, 2011
    What can we say that hasn’t already been said? Matt was special. Different. Stood out amongst us. I didn’t know him personally but always read his posts, watched his videos and enjoyed his banter. He had a way about him. A charismatic “f*ck it” attitude. As a combat vet, I felt a kinship with him. As a knife lover, I felt it even more.

Without a doubt he will be missed. This community won’t be the same. I will miss his posts and his YouTube videos. I truly hope he did not suffer and I truly hope he is at peace.

Till Valhalla, brother.

lex2006, LizaMari and Outlawed like this.
  9. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Just talked to Matt’s ex wife Diane. She’s gonna let me know about services and any other info about charities, where to send flowers or donations.

Thank you Diane.

AntDog, gotgoat, jux t and 16 others like this.
  10. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Just so sad. Still can’t wrap my head around it.

LizaMari likes this.
  11. tubtar

tubtar

Aug 10, 2006
    This was a gut punch to a lot of us.
    Matt and I go back to his early days on the mighty J.D. and he was as goofy a fuck as you could find anywhere.........which is why we got on so well.
    We shared that and later , sobriety.
    I had some 25 years clean when he decided he had enough and I applauded his choices with both hands.
    We parked our senses of humor in the same garage , and reading how many people he touched makes me happy and proud.
    Every time I look at my Heisenberg bobble head , I will think of him and how brightly he burned , and how much I miss him.
    Vaya Con Dios , Matt.
    And my heartfelt condolences to everyone who knew and loved him.

12. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Hellbound, Nautique, jux t and 9 others like this.
  13. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Wow. I a m speechless. This is terrible, I will miss you greatly. I know you belong in heaven, so I'm sure you will be fine. I pray for your family.

Hopefully there are some knife making tools up theet.

Rest in peace brother.
    Edit:

I donated $100 to the fund.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  14. Bugout Bill

Bugout Bill

Jan 2, 2013
    I've been into knives for maybe 8 or nine years, Matt has always been a figure that I have known of or have interacted with. It felt like it was always going to be that way. When I woke up to a DM on instagram saying Matt had passed, it was like hearing Mount Rushmore had fallen down. It still doesn't seem real. I was not ever close enough to him to be anything more than an occasional customer and "internet friend", but he was always a pleasure to interact with. He was a good man who meant more to more people than he realized. He was the embodiment of an outlaw knife maker.

He has left a void in the knife world that cannot be filled.

Rest easy, Matt. I miss you.

15. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I always paid attention when he had something to say because you knew you were getting it straight. I'm going to miss his posts and videos because of that straight forward style. RIP Matt CMFTW

Odog27, tubtar and uxo2 like this.
  16. danthaman1980

danthaman1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2014
    RIP Charlie Mike.

17. Sled

Sled Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2008
    This thread says it all......RIP CM

willrise likes this.
  18. nickedone

nickedone

Nov 8, 2000
    Rest in Peace. Charlie Mike/ Matt was at once an old soul and a young spirit, a good man who will be missed.

tubtar likes this.
  19. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Shocking to see this today. A huge loss to the Forum.

God bless his friends and family in this difficult time.

20. billym

billym

Jan 8, 2006
    FUCK! I never met the man as most if us and Iv'e been a bit dormant here on BFs but I am crying, no shit.
    Unique guy with the guts to be himself, fighting demons. RIP brother!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019