1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Rob Simonich TALON made from Talonite by Camillus

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades (Individual)' started by SALTY, May 23, 2020.

1. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Talon1.jpg TalonL.jpg Rob Simonich TALON made from Talonite by Camillus
    This knife is unused but was in a pack for years. The Kydex sheath does not have the clip or TecLock or whatever was on it previously.

[​IMG]

Prices seem to be all over the place on this unique and somewhat rare production piece. If anyone feels my price is out of line - feel free to contact me.

Talon $175

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    cpirtle likes this.
  2. EurAzn12

EurAzn12 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 9, 2016
    Pics? Your attachment seems broken

3. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Salty, like you I see prices all over the map because this knife is an 'odd duck' and hard to find. Is it valuable because it is hard to find or because it is associated with a really good knifemaker that many collectors respect? Or is it less valuable because it is really pretty specialized?

I have used one of these butchering feral hogs and found it worked very well within limits. The knife blade is 'soft' so, high pressure against something hard (like a bone) can damage the edge. However, against abrasive things like some skin with sand it essentially 'self sharpens'. The blade is awesome at slicing flesh and has a very aggressive cutting property almost like a serrated blade which I assume is due to the carbides embedded in the soft cobalt being exposed as the blade edge wears. In a saltwater fishing environment, I could see this knife performing exceptionally well with larger fish but, not smaller ones due to the thickness of the edge.

Overall, a very nice specialized knife that could serve certain specific users very well. A question for you offline ... you can reach me at username atgmaildotcom.

4. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hopefully you won't take offense at my posting here.
    This is a very good knife. Sid Post does a great job of describing how the metal seems to "work." It absolutely won't rust, not that I've found. Additionally, it compares favorably with Rob Simonich's Cetan, upon which it is based, if I'm not mistaken. It is a little larger than the Cetan I have, but that Cetan is a tanto.
    Rob had great talent at designing and making knives, and was taken too early from this earth. I count myself lucky to have two customs from him, and two "mid-tech," like this Talon. Good luck with your sale.