Rough Rider Little Barlow

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by r redden, Nov 12, 2015.

1. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    A couple of weeks ago while perusing that river auction site I came across a Rough Rider little brown Barlow RR741 up for auction so I placed a bid. Now I already have a RR once in a blue moon trapper and it's a pretty decent little knife but just lives in my knife drawer with zero pocket time. Total cost with shipping for the little Barlow $7.20. When the knife arrived I fell in love. 2 7/8 inch closed 2 inch clip point blade 5 inch overall. Fit and finish up there with $100 knives and razor sharp out of the box. It has found a new home in my watch pocket since I got it replacing my Case Peanut. Great little cutting tool and very easy to maintain the blade on my strop with a little green compound. Anyone else have one of these little knives?.

2. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    RR Barlows are all great,the little one is a beauty.

Best regards

Robin

3. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    :eek::eek::eek:

My God, where's my RONCO pocket defibrillator when I really need it!! Too much of a shock for my heart this early in the morning.

:D

Just kidding ya, those RR's are some great little knives. Not just great for the price, but great in general. Watching my friend Chet use and totally abuse his RR's, I've come to have a bushel basket of respect for them. :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    CelloDan and Wurrwulf like this.
  4. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I've a half dozen RR barlows, all standard size, but have been looking at the mini's. Just don't know how useful a blade that small would be. I seem to gravitate towards 2.75-3" blades. My EDC is a SAK Tinker (for pocket) or a Deluxe Tinker (in belt pouch).
    Guess I'll have try a mini RR barlow and see.
    Rich

5. RickT57

RickT57

Nov 4, 2005
    Good timing! Yesterday was looking at the same model on the river site. Any comparison pics?

6. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Been eyeing one of those Smooth Bone ones myself, but brown or white?

I have the lockback version in this interesting Armour Hide jigged bone, meant to be like Samurai armour or Armadillo. The knife is really nicely turned out, blade not centre(not rubbing though) but that was the only 'issue', sharp, thin blade.

Thanks, Will

7. Vinifera

Vinifera

Aug 13, 2015
    Don't have the little one but today I received a 3 3/8" amber jigged bone and jigged bark bone Barlow. I am extremely impressed and really like them. Very slight gap on one end of one of the liners on each of them but everything else is perfect.

8. markv

markv

Sep 8, 2004
    i have a couple. both fine F&F. smooth bone is really nice reminds me of poor-mans ivory.i have the bark bone also. real bargains @$6-7.00/.
    if Rough Rider ever started using 1095 '''OH MAN!!!! look out
    buzz

9. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I bought one of their #858 "little trappers". It looks more like a Barlow than a trapper. Nice knife for the watch pocket, a little smaller than a peanut.

10. r redden

May 23, 2015
    Here is a comparison shot. The first one is a Tidioute #77 Barlow The second is the Rough Rider RR741 Little Barlow and the third is a Case 3220 Peanut.

[​IMG]

Wurrwulf likes this.
  11. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wurrwulf likes this.
  12. mrd74

mrd74

Dec 1, 2001
    I have over two dozon different Rough Rider Barlows including three of the little ones, love every one of them and want more.

r redden likes this.
  13. r redden

May 23, 2015
    I forgot about this thread but it was 5 years ago and I still have that little Barlow when my new camera comes Friday I'll post a new picture of it.

14. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Which camera did you go with?

15. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    It's funny it was this thread from 5 years ago that had me looking at these again...

16. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    How do they compare to a GEC 14?

17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Interesting parallel. Can only comment on the GEC 14 non Barlow type but think it may be relevant too. I should prefer the GEC but... The GEC is all steel which is preferable, OK it's not all stainless but no brass liners is a big plus. The GEC 14s I have are Spear apart from an SFO 2 blade Clip Jack and I prefer Spear blades to Clip in general. Finish on the GEC is, not surprisingly, superior to the RR and it costs massively more. However, the GEC 14 has a relatively narrow handle and thin scale slabs, it has never felt purposeful in the hand and remains frustratingly toy-like. It's a very nice looking knife but it lacks pocket credibility I'm afraid. It's not as toy like as the preposterous GEC 18 though, another nice looker but non starter as a user.

The RR is a very decent item, has nice finish a good stamped bolster (no engraved rubbish like other Barlows can come with...) sharp and retentive stainless and just works well in the hand, the proportions are right for the knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headwinds, JohnDF and Camillus like this.
  18. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I’ve had a couple. They’re nice. My cousin bought one based off my video on them.

19. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Am I right the blade on the RR is 2 inches while the #14 is bigger?