Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

1. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    RR doesn't miss many tricks. I see they have a stockman with a lock-back main blade.

Rich S and beestokk like this.
  3. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
    It looks like the only version that is readily available right now is with their "Moon Glow" glow in the dark covers. I'm pretty tempted to buy another knife I don't need. It Looks like the main blade rests between the secondary blades, like a whittler.

beestokk and scrteened porch like this.
  4. bigfish64

bigfish64 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Transplant surgery. This one came to me VERY cheap, shield was missing, found a donor trapper lock, boiled it, popped out the shield and transplanted it into the Barlow. Happy to report both patients are doing great, trapper lock has a new home in the toolbox, and the Barlow is resting comfortably alongside a growing collection of RR Barlows!
    90C5E189-0441-40C5-9FB4-BC71B475D1C7.jpeg

5. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I just got a RR Cinnamon Bone Stag stockman with polished Damascus blades. Beautiful and it is real Damascus steel. One major problem - the sheepsfoot blade is set so low I can't access the blade nail nick! Poor design or one-of error?? Fixed it by putting a wad of oil soaked paper under the blade kick. Works fine. Will probably not be a EDC like the other 50+ RRs I have ;) But a really nice looking knife.
    Rich

afishhunter, Bloefield and beestokk like this.
  6. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    @Rich S I'd like to see a picture of it though, sounds like a interesting knife :thumbsup:

Thanks, Will

7. bigfish64

Apr 9, 2020
    I have a few small stockmans and a couple Congress patterns that have blades that are hard to get to also, so I don’t think it is a one-off issue. I CAN get to them it’s just an annoyance, but one I can live with for the money. Overall RRs are solid knives no doubt.

beestokk likes this.
  8. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That looks fantastic! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    I really like RR's smooth tobacco bone, especially the darker version as on your Barlow.

- GT

Pt-Luso, Laurelbb and Henry Beige like this.
  9. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    I agree with Rich that the cinnamon stag bone damascus RRs are appealing knives! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
    I have a canoe from that series that arrived just over a month ago, and I haven't posted it here yet. So here are a couple of photos in my usual style. I doubt if this is the only knife from the cinnamon stag bone damascus series that I'll buy.
    Mark side:
    csbd.mark.Vflat.branch.jpg

Pile side:
    csbd.pile.Vflat.branch.jpg

Main blade up close:
    csbd.mark.main.closeup.jpg

- GT

edbeau, FLMacKnife, CelloDan and 17 others like this.
  10. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    As long as I'm posting photos, there were 3 other Rough Rider knives that arrived in the same shipment as the cinnamon stag bone damascus canoe.
    Tobacco Road canoe with a checkered, copper nail head accented, tobacco leaf shape on each side of the handle that I think looks really good in person:
    TRcanoe.mark.Vstand.ecopond.jpg

An All-Stripes sowbelly stockman with striped jigging (I like it) and striped bolsters (meh):
    as.sow.mark.Vstand.sky.eco.jpg

An amber jigged bone mini canoe. (My first experience with RRs was a set of 12 amber jigged bone patterns from Amazon. I was hooked when I got them, and I still really like RR amber jigged bone.)
    ambermini.pile.closed.leaf.jpg

- GT

11. bigfish64

Apr 9, 2020
    Thank you, just a drop of super glue, I’ll carry it but it isn’t going to be a hard user, So I think it will stay in place. I like the pics you posted, those knives are real lookers!

12. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Never mind - my mistake.

13. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    They do a fantastic smooth tobacco bone, here is one i have in a cotton sampler.
    [​IMG]

14. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    Cheers for sharing it's real Damascus. For the reasonable price I was assuming it would be fake Damascus etching. I have the Cinnamon Doctor knife on the way since it was one of the cheapest Cinnamon models and I was looking for a single blade Doctor. Might pick up the Canoe or Copperhead if the series is as good as the pics here.

15. chuckgp

chuckgp

Dec 16, 2014
    I have one of these, excellent knife and damascus

16. Fire King

Fire King Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2020
    [​IMG]
    New edition for me; strong pull and W/T, good centering and build. I am pleasantly surprised by this one!

17. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Wow, that a beautiful knife.

18. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I glued a shield back on a Case pen knife with super glue a year or so ago and its still on. Been carried some too.

bigfish64 and beestokk like this.
  19. Fire King

Fire King Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2020
    [​IMG]

20. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    Some of these newer RRs are real homeruns. The Black And Blue Stockman, red bone Peanut, Cinnamon Doctor, Artisanwood Lockback are all beautiful value knives. Many of these patterns I would have never tried if I only had the option of spending Case level money on them.

Also got the Reserve Easy Open and Whittler. Fit and finish on them is great, easily worth the increased price. The designs are still not my style, they're very big comparatively to traditionals I like to carry, but the Whittler is growing on me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020