Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by dalee100, Sep 10, 2008.

1. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    (quote) "Most unusual, Captain."
    (Mr. Spock, 1st Officer, USS 'ENTERPRISE') (end quote)

They've never included that sheet of paper in any of my orders/packages ... not that I've ever needed it ....

2. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - exactomundo, sir...!

Given the clever CNC machining they do with some of the RR models, why on earth didn't they use a lovely G10 here with this one..?! :confused:

Perhaps they have pockets and/or teams of production that use certain materials and certain methods.........but it does appear a lost opportunity imho

beestokk, JohnDF and guy g like this.
  3. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I haven't sharpened it yet so I can't really say. Performance wise, I dunno. It's stainless and the edge has lasted longer than the typical RR 440 so it's definitely better than their standard fare.

That's too bad. Mine has been flawless, but I do agree about the materials they chose. My suspicion is the solid aluminum, linerless handles are very cheap to produce as opposed to steel liners with contoured-to-matched covers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    ktataragasi, beestokk, JohnDF and 4 others like this.
  4. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I have always received that paper with any order from them. It usually gets chucked with the box.

beestokk, seas165 and JohnDF like this.
  5. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I've bought most of mine at a local sporting goods store that carries them, however the "Reserve" one arm jack nor the Coal Miner half hawk/Loom fixer that arrived today has had a return slip. As you say...interesting o_O
    Pics of the half hawk forthcoming, as soon as I can take some decent pics tomorrow. I've already redone the jigging on it and filed a bit of a swedge on the main:thumbsup:

guy g and afishhunter like this.
  6. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]

Stormdrane, beestokk, guy g and 11 others like this.
  7. Joe LaManna

Joe LaManna

Dec 20, 2019
    [​IMG]

8. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Whoa, thats interesting I've not seen one of those before. :thumbsup:

9. Joe LaManna

Joe LaManna

Dec 20, 2019
    Yeah. I believe it’s very new. I get a catalog from a certain retailer in the Smoky Mtns. Jumped off the page at me.

10. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    It looks like my swayback work knife has succumbed to whatever the covers actually are. Plastic or micarta has shrunk and cracked. 20210109_122541_copy_1024x1008.jpg

11. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    :eek: holy crap! Thats not good

12. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    Thats not good[/QUOTE]
    No, but it happens sometimes. I’m just going to continue to carry it for as long as possible and then either crazy glue it or maybe have it recovered. I’ve been told to return it under warranty but if they have a replacement (unlikely) I’d be concerned it wouldn’t measure up to this one. I know it’s strange to say, but other than that it’s an excellent knife. Great w&t and sharp.

13. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Is it supposed to be Micarta?

14. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Fill it with epoxy and call it a day ;)

15. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    That’s what it’s called Mark but I doubt it. I’ll try and get a pic inside the crack which might help identify it.

beestokk and Ramrodmb like this.
  16. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    That sounds like a plan

17. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks Alan. I wondered, as I don’t recall seeing Micarta do that before. I’m sure some epoxy would fill the crack and keep it in one piece if you were inclined to keep using it.

beestokk likes this.
  18. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    Epoxy sounds like the way to go

beestokk likes this.
  19. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    The black covers on mine are receding as well. That's not micarta. Paper or canvas. I plan to re-cover it some day.

hughd and guy g like this.
  20. chuckgp

chuckgp

Dec 16, 2014
    I'll have to check my 'micarta' RR knives for that.
    Been sanding part of the handle on my 'denim micarta' RRR easyopen -- down about a third of the way, trying to get to the denim, nothing but resin so far.... maybe we should call it 'Pipes micarta' or faux micarta..geez