Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by L.H.S, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    John

Not a bad thing, but gets a bit boring when you can quote every line from every episode from memory :D

G2
    Yes I can.have reground a lot of blades. Not fried any of them so far. But there is always tomorrow to screw one up. :eek:

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My son and I do that all the time. :D

3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    the image was more a Star Trek tribute to go along with your previous comment, never doubted that you would not be able to accomplish that work, just poor Doc' will have a hard time of it.

;)
    G2

Rich S likes this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I received the Kayak (RRR002) model. It is very well put together. Closes dead center on each blade. Springs are not proud at half-stop. Pull is probably a 6 with a good snap on each blade. As @jackknife says "sharp as the dickens". If I have a criticism, it is a bit chunky (at 3.5 oz) but I expected that with a modified canoe pattern and two blades. Packaging was amazing actually.

Added: Think I'm going to carry this one with my SAK for a while and see how it goes. It will open packaging easier than my SAK being so pointy. It is in my pocket as I type. The forum knife is going to be parked for while and maybe forever.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    G2
    No offense taken. I can regrind and reprofile a $100 knife and turn it into a $10 knife in only about 15 minutes ;)
    Rich

6. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    That my friend is a rare gift
    :)
    G2

Will Power, EngrSorenson and Rich S like this.
  7. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I realize no one but the manufacturer can answer this, but I wonder what will be in the second batch? I'm hoping for a standard clip point barlow.
    Rich

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    johnnywizzo and Gary W. Graley like this.
  8. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I would hope for anything even close to as traditional as that. The way these have been going, it’d probably have a pocket clip, an axis lock, an assisted opener, a clever blade, and a handle that looks like a bat-er-rang.

between my personal disappointments on this front, Case’s terrible QC, and the ever increasing rarity and prices of GECs, I’m starting to get a little frustrated. Definitely please some folks like these knives, we need competition, but sheesh... tough spot for me to be in.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  9. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I have the One Arm and I am pretty impressed with it. Excellent fit and finish, sharp and I like D2 blade steel in a traditional for a change. Still love carbon/1095 and stainless when it's done right, but I really like this particular knife. Nice to get a $40 traditional at this quality level!

I almost bit on the Whittler, but the blade and scale shape aren't my favorite, and I already have whittlers from Case and Rough Ryder (non-reserve) that are good to go. I paid $55 for the Case two years ago, and it is nice, good fit and finish, good QC on this one. Made in USA is a plus! When quality and cost are at least in the same ballpark...

10. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    if others like these knives” maybe you need a different perspective to find satisfaction or collect something else. Case makes good knives that satisfy many people.

11. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    The match stick nail nicks is what attracts me to them :D

willc and Gary W. Graley like this.
  12. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    My mention of Case was only to set the tone of why these RRRs were something I was looking forward to. Who cares whether or not “many people” are satisfied with Case? I’m not, after being a 14 year devotee, so I’m looking for something better suited to me. If I wait long enough something usually comes around. You can take your unsolicited advice back to where it came from, and feel free to comment on the RRR offerings.

edit: full disclosure, I don’t understand who you’re quoting, in retrospect. I said, “[I’m] definitely please(d) some folks like these [RRR] knives.” If you’re supporting this site with your mind, you might ask for a refund.

Seriously though, solving dissatisfaction on the internet is the ultimate Sisyphean task.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    willc and Gary W. Graley like this.
  13. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Still liking this whittler, it benefited from the convex edges I applied on the blades and all three cut very well now.

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

14. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Sounds like a perfect job for a Ken onion worksharp. Love mine gives a great consistent convex edge :thumbsup:

15. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Yeppers that is what I used to put the edges on all three blades.
    G2

TheFactor likes this.
  16. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Great minds Think a like :D :thumbsup:

17. Ogreman

Ogreman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2019
    The only knife that is for sure in the second batch will be the Barback at an unknown price so far. After looking at it more last week, price will definitely be the main determining factor if I buy that one or not.

Although would prefer some traditionals in the later batches, would guess that they continue to go with off-the-beaten-path designs for the most part. Personally, I would love to see a new Swayback in one of the upcoming batches.

johnnywizzo and EngrSorenson like this.
  18. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Ok you guys got the juices flowing so I have a canoe in route :thumbsup:
    Love that pattern so figured why not :D

22-rimfire and Gary W. Graley like this.
  19. chuckgp

chuckgp

Dec 16, 2014
    I just got the denim easy-open, a very nice knife. It is extremely clean, no dirt or grit anywhere. F&F excellent, walks and talks loudly.
    Razor sharp. I like the deluxe packaging.

After owning a Northwoods denim micarta, I was hoping for that kind of feel, but there is obviously a thick top-coat of resin over the fabric.
    I have been gently sanding a small area of the back handle, trying to 'get down' to the denim, still not there.

Will report back if I ever get there

FLymon and Gary W. Graley like this.
  20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Yep. That is the dominant reason I have one... it doesn't get used much.

I'm looking forward to a Trapper pattern and perhaps something smallish... Peanut or slightly larger. I like the concept of the Rough Ryder Reserve.... never repeat the same exact knife and so forth. They definitely seem to have gotten a premium treatment in the manufacturing process. I would like to see a higher end steel.

jlomein and TheFactor like this.