Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by L.H.S, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I said earlier in this thread that I had no interest in these but I can’t stop looking at that Kayak.

If it had stainless steel liners I would already own one. This Premium line just screams for ss liners.

EngrSorenson and Gary W. Graley like this.
  2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I like mine and think it could have been a little better without the center part but brass liners do have good action than steel ones, at least I think it seems to

I reach for that one when I need a sharp pointy knife to use
    G2

Railsplitter likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    There apparently is a new Star Trek series on CBS coming up. Don't know if it is only streaming or on regular channels.

JohnDF likes this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    All the new Star Trek shows are on their streaming service.

5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    The RRR Kayak is my very first canoe pattern traditional. I think you'll like it. Those daily emails from them do create sales. Let us know what you think as the RRR is really still in its infancy in terms of the market. I normally just delete the daily advertising emails without looking... but I did open the RRR one. I think they got this batch for Christmas sales.

One of the things I like about RRR is I have no hesitancy using one. I tend to have that with Northwoods and many GEC knives. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

TheFactor likes this.
  6. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Re: new Star Trek series on streaming only --- :(:thumbsdown:
    Rich

7. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I haven't tried to look at an episode yet, but it appears to be "free".

8. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    For sure and definitely looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

9. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    oh I think you should! GECs and Northwoods are great knives, but at what cost? There’s lots of budget options that do what we require from a knife. I love my 11 GECs but right now my relationship with GECs are on the rocks due to scarcity of patterns I enjoy, or the new higher prices we all seem to be paying.

If RR makes a reserve version of their very successful work knife, I’d be all over one.

CelloDan, willc and johnnywizzo like this.
  10. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    The canoe has always been one of my favorite patterns :thumbsup:
    Which is another reason I want to give the RRR line a try.
    [​IMG]

11. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I reach for this one more lately and those small pliers are really handy, carried in pocket in a slip sheath to prevent accidental plier injuries :)

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

12. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    After missing out on the most recent Northwoods and GEC releases I placed my order for the RRR one arm razor and swell center whittler. I know realistically they won't be comparable and rather more at Case level, but I appreciate how they're actually available to buy new at retail price for longer than 5 minutes. Keeping up to the minute on those special high end releases just isn't practical for a lot of people out there.

Looking forward to seeing more RRR models in the future, hopefully some more common traditional patterns, although it doesn't sound like that's their mission.

EDIT: perhaps I spoke too soon on RRR knives being more available, as the RRR001 one arm razor is now out of stock.

TheFactor, mbkr, johnnywizzo and 3 others like this.
  13. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I have all 3 of the RRR knives.... I am very pleased with them..... Well built.... IMO, well designed.....

I too got frustrated trying to buy GEC..... It is almost like having a GEC is a status symbol.... Everybody and their brother are snapping them up.... Too many buyers and not enough knives.....

14. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    My wife has all three RRR for me, but I have to wait until Christmas to get them. She doesn't know about those sweet Knipex pliers though (and neither did I until I saw this), so I will have to grab one of those myself to hold me over.
    Great photo!

15. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks, the whittler has grown to be a favourite with me, even if it seems a little on the large size, with the convex edges it cuts extremely well.

And I do recommend those pliers, I made a small slip sheath to protect myself as I carry them in the pocket and they have come in quite handy, used more than I had figured they would.

kept in the second position the handles are then spaced apart to be a good fit to carry, as you can see the pliers grip area is very sharp and you can apply a good deal of pressure with these little pliers!

Find them here on the big river site

G2

16. P D

P D

Dec 29, 2019
    I received my RRR001 Denim Easy Open Razor last evening. This is my first Rough Ryder and I love it.

- Excellent Fit and Finish with stainless steel bolsters, brass liners, nicely finished nickel silver pins.
    - No gaps that I can tell.
    - Nice clean looking knife. No dirt or grime on the inside.
    - Runs on washer. Rare for a traditional production knife !
    - Pull is a little softer side but snappy close.
    - Perfect blade centering.
    - Sharp
    - Nice micarta. Feels like a premium knife without the premium price.
    - Triple-R Arrowhead shield seems to have some interesting Rough Ryder historical significance (still reading up on Kevin Pipes). I don't believe they are ripping off Northwoods brand.
    - Tube feels a bit gimmicky. Packaging seems bit over the top - trying too hard to please.
    - Honest about the country of manufacture. Proudly displaying the name on the blade tang, tube and even the box.

I don't see this as a competition to GEC, instead I see this line as an "experimental" line mostly competing against lower end Case (in terms of modern handle material, non-1095 or 440C steel, comparable fit and finish - if not better) and Boker (in terms of non USA made) traditional knives.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  17. Ogreman

Ogreman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Just learned today on the podcast that the Barback is already "on the water" and close to getting here. However, that fourth RRR knife is now detached from the second batch and those will take longer to make sure they are ready. That said, just hoping they don't follow the same pricing pattern with this latest knife. That would mean 001 for $40, 002 for $50, 003 for $60, and now 004 for $70.

If it is $40 or $50, I will probably be buying the Barback too.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  18. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    It’s a hard pass on that one, still liking the two I have and will see what the next one is
    G2

19. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I’m telling ya, if these guys go straight up the middle and totally vanilla on a few tried and true patterns I don’t think they could lose. Some of the pictures I’ve been seeing have almost been enough to put me over... almost.

unklfranco, JohnDF and Gary W. Graley like this.
  20. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Back when this thread started, i thought “no thanks”.
    Thought id click on it again a few days ago and this time i thought, “ya know, that easy open knife looks to be a solid user”. Yep, i wait til something is sold out before i decide i want to buy it. Im guessing each model is a one time release too.

EngrSorenson likes this.