1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

rust on Blackjack II 1-7 blades

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by whitie, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.)

Oct 9, 1998
    This thread doesn't seem to be about rust any more (if it ever was)....
    [​IMG]

2. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    It never was.....:thumbdn:

3. WalterDavis

WalterDavis

Nov 23, 2005
    Wow, this thread is great! 8 pages of back and forth bs about who's to blame for the rust that appeared on some non-stainless knife blades months after they were purchased, and now I gotta get my 2 cents in!

First I guess I have to admit that I really like the Bark River and BlackJack knives I own, regardless of who made them whenever. Second, I don't know Mike Stewart from Adam, though I do respect the fact that he is very active on KF and anwers a lot of inquiries over there, even one or two of mine. However, I don't give a rat's behind what he has or hasn't done in the past w/ other companies and really don't see how it has a bearing on this thread. If he (or his company) is the cause of the rust on these two gentlemen's (I use that term very loosely) knives, that issue is between Mr. Stewart and Mr. Warner (who subcontracted the work out to Mr. Stewart). I don't care if Mr. Stewart stored the blades in a salt water aquarium while they were working on handles, etc., it would be Mr. Warner's company, his product and his responsibility if the knives showed up w/ rust. Realistically I think that it's the final purchasers here that are the problem and they are just looking to blame someone. Keeping w/ the car analogies, if I break an axle on my new Jeep I don't go online and rant about the Dana axle corporation, I go to the Jeep dealer and get it fixed and if it's due to abuse or neglect I pay $$$ to get it fixed!

Yeah whitie and cdnwide have an agenda and it is NOT to remind everyone to maintain their carbon steel knives-it's to make someone look bad. I hope the newer forum members take the time to look through the BS and evaluate what they want in a knife without taking these two jokers to heart.

Sorry for the rant, but it irritates me that people who have an axe to grind can throw this crap out and uninformed buyers might just believe it.

Thanks,
    Walter

4. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    The last time it was a $40.00 knife. Have I offended you?

5. CapCase

CapCase

Aug 24, 2004
    Wow! That old thread that whitie links to finally explains to me why some people hate Mike Stewart so much. :rolleyes: I knew it couldn't just be because of some rust on a non-stainless blade. Unfortunately that old thread doesn't tell the entire story. What became of the charges? :confused: DirkDiggler states that Mike Stewart was indicted. Was he convicted? Are the Mike Stewart flamers former Black Jack employees who received rubber paychecks? I know I would be upset with a former employer if he failed to pay me. Or are they disgruntled bankers? :confused: I know if I had to work in a bank I would be very irritable. :D

One of the things that always amazes me when Mike Stewart's name is brought up is that at least one of his detractors will mention the Bark River Posse coming to his defence.
    DirkDiggler:
    I reckon I am one of those as I have a free Bark River Knife given to me by Mr. Stewart and Knifeforums. A Mini-Northstar that I like very much. I am a Bark River Whore! :eek: I also own three other Bark River Knives that I purchased. The first one, a Woodland Special, I bought a couple years ago before I ever heard of Mike Stewart, Bark River or even Black Jack Knives. I was so impressed with it that I later bought another Bark River knife. About that time I discovered Bladeforums and, a bit later, Knifeforums where I found the Bark River forum and have even communicated, a little bit, online with Mike Stewart, the supposed devil himself. How little did I know how much danger my immortal soul was exposed to. :eek: Anyway, I won the knife and then, being the whore that I am, I bought my fourth Bark River knife a couple months ago. None have a trace of rust on them. To be honest, one has a stainless blade. Or so, that "scoundrel" Mike Stewart has said. :rolleyes: But, then again, none of my knives have any rust. Neither do my guns. I maintain them. My old truck does have some rust though. :eek:

Is Mike Stewart a scoundrel or a saint? I honestly don't know. He seems like a nice likable guy but I have never met him in person. Would I commit to a business arrangement with him? I would probably want to know more about his past. Not hearsay though. Would I buy another Bark River knife? Yes. The four examples I own are flawless high quality knives.

My experience with Mike Stewart and Bark River Knife and Tool has been all positive. Apparently, not everyone can say that. That is a shame.

6. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson

Aug 4, 2001
    It's interesting that people are quick to write about the allegations but not the disposition of the case. I have no idea what happened. All I can say it it doesn't seem like there was much time for Mike to fit in a jail sentence after that date, between working at Marbles and starting up BRKT.

7. wolfmann601

wolfmann601 Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.

Mar 12, 2001
    One puts ren wax on a knife blade to prevent rust. when one does a poor job applying said wax, rust is likely to appear.

that's all..........................................

8. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    You left them in the cardboard sleeves, right??? I just wonder if they may have gotten damp in shipping or storage... Just an idea... I wish I could see these myself...
    Rust is a VERY strange and selective thing... I have seen it behave very strangely...
    I keep a LOT of knives in my car... I went in one time and found a stainless knife had developed rust, while a machete stored right next to it had not???:( WTF!!!

9. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Dude, this was dead and over months ago........

10. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    If it truly was not your fault, then you should have to pay NOTHING, not even shipping to have them fixed...
    Even if it WAS your fault, if it was a Bark River knife, they would have fixed it for you for no charge(except for you shipping the knife to them).
    I do not know what the current Black Jack warranty is, but I would assume that they would do the same, just for good customer relations...
    If you buy something that has the Bark River brand name on it, it would be covered by THEIR warranty, which covers pretty much anything(except badger damage)... Their fault, your fault, it does not matter... It is covered...

11. whitie

whitie

Sep 10, 2005
    Be thankful you didn't see these rusty knives in your collection.

In hind sight, I think the strange packaging that Ken Warner uses had something to do with the appearance of rust. The flat packaging (cardboard sleeve) has ends that are folded and glued, possibly creating a more "air tight" package than is beneficial for steel blades. Any temperature changes would create the opportunity for condensation.

The know-it-all, pathetic suck-ups say the rust was clearly my fault, when in reality the rust appeared within 4 months after the knives left the manufacturer. I left the knives in original packaging just as I received them from the manufacturer. I believe I had a reasonable expectation of rust-free knives.

The question is what should be the reasonable shelf life from the manufacturer. How long should a distributor or dealer expect new knives "on the shelf" to remain rust-free?

whitie

12. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    What is Rig? I have heard it mentioned before...
    My Becker's came with a thick(in the case of my BK7, very THICK) coating of what looked like KY!!!:eek: :D Is Rig like that???

13. Ken C.

Ken C. Jack of all trades, master of none. Staff Member Super Mod

Jun 14, 2000
    [​IMG]

14. jamesraykenney

jamesraykenney

Apr 9, 2004
    Yikes! I missread the date of the last post...
    Sorry...

15. KnifeFury

KnifeFury

Sep 21, 2006
    Wow, what a thread! :D

After all this, just curious, did anyone look at there Blackjacks and find a similar issue? Or was "whitie" the only one to ever see this?

Good entertainment though, regardless. :thumbup: