1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rusty Slate Has Walked West

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by munk, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Art S.

Art S.

Jul 1, 2001
    We'll all miss him.
    God bless you, Rusty.

2. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
    hunh!?

What!?

That I was not expecting.

~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <>they call me
    'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-tWotBGUaDUaDUaD
    <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

3. Svashtar

Svashtar Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Jeez, this is so totally unexpected. I knew he was hardly older than me, and thought he was just offline helping Yangdu with all the arrangements for Uncle Bill. Like most of you, I had no idea he was even the slightest bit ill.

I am sorry for Rusty's family and for all of you that were so close to him. For some reason he and I never clicked at all, and I always wondered why. I wrote to him personally last Monday offering my condolences to him, as I knew how close he ane Uncle Bill were, and had hoped that Bill's passing might open a bridge between the two of us. I feel an affinity for everyone who frequents this forum regularly and wanted to have the same relationship with Rusty as well.

The one thing I could count on in any gun thread or discussion was for Rusty to chime in just before me with exactly the correct information, in even more detail than I was going to write! He really knew his stuff. (Wasn't the 16.5" WWII his favorite khuk as well?) I also thought that he was an excellent moderator and did a great job of monitoring every thread and made sure nothing got out of hand.

I wish we had all known he was this ill, so that we could have been more prepared and offered him help at the time.

I'm glad though that Uncle Bill has his best friend for company so soon after his passing.

Regards,

Norm

4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I am at a loss for words:( I feel like I just lost two close family members in a car wreck. God speed, Rusty. You were appreciated. We will all try to walk in the footsteps of both you and Uncle Bill.

Jake

5. olpappy

olpappy

Dec 6, 2004
    I am shocked and saddened by the news of Rusty's passing. Although I did not know him well, he was obviously a dear friend to many here and his contributions to running the forum invaluable. It will be hard for anyone to do the job he did.

6. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    Got home from work a few hours ago and found out that the Pope passed away this morning. Then I log onto BF and find out that Rusty has also passed. The world has lost 3 great people this week. :(

My condolences to Rustys family and friends. God bless!! Rusty will be missed.

Heber

7. lcs37

lcs37

Jul 31, 2002
    My mind went blank with disbelief upon reading the news. This is not my reality. Two good people I met and talked with, plus several other local friends have gone west. May their burdens be light in the trek ahead.

I'm beginning to look over my shoulder. Hope I can stay ahead and keep my head up.

8. fixer27

fixer27

Nov 17, 2004
    Goodmen die before their time.

9. Red Flower

Red Flower

Oct 13, 2004
    Too bad to hear this. My regards and prays from Beijing are sent...

Howard Wallace likes this.
  10. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003
    Wow what a week.

UB is a role model for me, he walked his talk.

Rusty was a super guy, kind and thoughtful.

The Pope was also one heck of a role model, if you read about his life, it is astounding.

I think the world is a richer place today than it would have been without anyone of the three.

11. donutsrule

donutsrule

Feb 14, 2003
    :eek: :( :(

12. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Norm,
    Rusty knew good men when he saw them, whether they 'clicked'. And he understood more than even the breadth and depth of his posts would reveal.

He could see heart so plainly.

munk

13. Josh Feltman

Josh Feltman

Feb 12, 2001
    First Bill and now Rusty. I feel myself a better man for having known both of them. This is just too much. :(

14. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
    A good man.
    He done good
    in many ways

Prayers for him & his.

~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <>they call me
    'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-tWotBGUaDUaDUaD
    <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

15. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    Requiescat in Pacem, rusty

God Bless and safe voyage.

My condolences to his family

16. Logan1

Logan1

Nov 24, 2000
    Smoke for his family :(

17. Cabbit

Cabbit

Apr 2, 2004
    Oh man, this is just terrible news.

My dearest condolences to his family.

18. Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Jun 9, 1999
    When I logged on this afternoon I thought this was an April Fool's in incredibly poor taste. It just doesn't seem possible. Then I saw who posted and knew munk would never joke about something like this. RIP Rusty, I've no doubt you and Uncle Bill met on the other side. Hold a chair at the bar for the rest of us.

19. sweet

sweet

Nov 11, 1999
    Condolences to Rusty's Family, from the Sweet, Hubbard and Chan Families.

20. eraaij

eraaij

Jan 17, 2002
    My condolences to Rusty's family and friends. A very sad week.

-Emile