SAK multipurpose hook- uses?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by CraigTbone, Apr 22, 2020.

1. CraigTbone

CraigTbone

Mar 4, 2019
    I am trying to make the final detail decisions on my imminent Mountaineer (probably now Climber) mod.

Not sure if I want to replace the hook with a nail file (from a Classic maybe) or keep it and add nail file texture (or find one already with such). I want a nail file.

What real world uses are there for the hook?

2. SteeleJ1976

SteeleJ1976

Jan 24, 2020
    Immler has a few in his video. I have yet to use mine on my Supertinker but I can see the potential for certain applications.

allenC and Rich S like this.
  3. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Also have a hook on my Super and Deluxe Tinkers. Never found a use for it yet. You'd think Vic could find something useful for that tool space.
    Rich

wardcleaver likes this.
  4. CraigTbone

CraigTbone

Mar 4, 2019
    Interesting video. I see some usefulness. I did not find his next video so I am not sure what his mod to the hook is.

Now I need to find a hook with the nail file texture.

5. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    Minority report...Although I don't use mine very often, over several years I have used my Swisschamp hook several times to lift bails of straw or newsprint by their binding wires, tighten boot laces, improvise coat hangers for restrooms without, lift grates that have no other means to grab hold, and although I can't recall other uses, I think there were some and will post when I remember them ;). Since Vic can modify the hook with a nail file on the back, which apparently they already have, so much the better. Actually, I like the one on my older S'champ, and prefer having it available when needed.

6. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Keep in mind that you need the hook to provide the correct spring tension to the scissors. They won't work otherwise. Learnt that the hard way.

wardcleaver likes this.
  7. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I would love to get hold of a hook with nail file, no idea why they don't do it as standard or stopped doing it. Makes so much sense for an otherwise relatively hidden and forgotten tool.

8. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    When the kids were little I would use the hook to work the knot loose on their sneakers.. then they learned to tie the shoes a bit loose and wear them in a slip-on style.
    Otherwise I use it to scratch the inside of my ear since it is rounded.. don't tell ur kids I said that, ok?