SAK, What to look for on trip to Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by hackmanfolder, Feb 20, 2020.

1. hackmanfolder

hackmanfolder

Sep 19, 2009
    I'm going to the Bern area of Switzerland and plan on visiting a flea market and some second hand shops. I'm not a serious collector of Swiss Army Knives but I have several and really enjoy them. Any suggestions on what to look for at the flea markets? I'm not talking about the super rare stuff......just older common knives not readily available in the USA. Suggestions appreciated.

2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I’m a bit envious. I’d be curious to see how readily available the older Soldier knives are there. Since they have been issued for many years to those serving in their military you’d think they would be easy to find. Even going into the Alox years of issue.

Storm 8593 and comis like this.
  3. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    This, and am sure you maybe able to find models for souvenir purpose. Victorinox put out a few assembly machines in their 'flagship' store around the world, and I would suggest to look up whether there is one in Bern, so you could book in advance and actually make one yourself. That's a pretty unique experience as a fan.

4. Welshie12

Welshie12

Jan 15, 2020
    I'd probably just buy anything I like the look of. If the tool set looks unfamiliar then that would be a bonus. Wenger made some unusual stuff maybe look out for those?

Storm 8593 and 315 like this.
  5. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    It is all about the preferences. Size? Scales? Tools? Layers? Difficult to say without knowing what you like.
    The knives with Slidelock are nothing rare, but discontinued. A Craftsman would be great. That is a Handyman but with Philips instead of Corkscrew. But no longer available. Or the Master Craftsman (NASA)?
    A old Soldier (Alox)? Or a special edition 93mm(scales / colour).
    The 108mm Series...maybe the GAK? Old German Army Knife. But beware of those cheap clones.
    Lumberjack Big?
    Scientist or Engineer?
    Maybe you take a look on SAKWIKI, especially all retired models. Maybe there is one that is very intersting for you?
    All the best for your "prey".

Storm 8593 and Welshie12 like this.
  6. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    I'd be on the look out for anything with exposed pins, square philips, long awl/punch and or the nail nick half way down the blade :)

All old classic flags

redsparrow, comis and Welshie12 like this.
  7. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Have a good credit balance or cash. Buy everything you see or find! I wish I had 25 years ago.
    Rich

Storm 8593 likes this.
  8. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Great point on vintage models. And along that line, there are many makers for SAK (especially the soldiers) in the earlier years, with non-Victorinox/Victoria/Elsrner tang stamp. I would definitely recommend to keep an eye out for those.

9. drail

drail

Feb 23, 2008
    Man, I am SO jealous. That sounds like a dream vacation to me. Wish I could go with you. Enjoy the Swiss culture and the food.